Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E36 M3 97-99 newer valve cover onto 95 M3?

My Cars
    1994 SVT Cobra

Question E36 M3 97-99 newer valve cover onto 95 M3?

Does anyone know if a "newer", say, 97-99 E36 M3 valve cover will fit properly onto a 95 M3 engine?

I'm talking like direct fit, with no modifiactions, other than replacing proper gaskets, etc.????

I see on my 95 (and others) that the oil fill point is at the back of the engine, while on the engines after 95, the oil fill point is up front, closer to the fan.

I was thinking of changing mine to the newer style, only IF all it consists of is taking off the old one and installing the "new". Maybe it is more involved than it looks?

Any pros/cons to this thought?

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    1991 BMW 318ic & 1995 ///M3 coupe - SOLD

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    i don't think it'll fit simply because the oil fil locations are different.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    1994 SVT Cobra
    but, what I was wondering is, if you pour oil through the opening, no matter if it is at the back or front, isn't the oil going into the same area in the head? Then drains to the lower portion of the engine?

If some of you hard core techy guys want to jump in, feel free - I'm really wondering if what I am thinking would work, or not due to some other technicality that is being overlooked....???

My Cars
    None
    Are you talking about the actually valve cover or the black cover that goes over the ignition coils?

My Cars
    1994 SVT Cobra
    Jon,

Thanks for the reply - yes, I am talking about the actual metal engine valve cover, not the decorative engine plastic covers.

I know the actual valve cover retains the oil fill hole, and in order to do such a swap, I would also need the corresponding decorative plastic engine cover to make it work.

My concern is, will the actual valve cover from the newer M3's fit properly onto a 95 M3 engine? Is it a direct fit, or will there be any interference from something else that I may be over looking? I know I'd need the proper gaskets and such too, that's no concern.

To me, looking at a 95 engine and a 96-99 engine, it appears that the swap would work, but I am not sure what lies beneath the covers on each engine or if there is some technical aspect that may hamper such a swap.

The oil does drain into the cam valley and then into the bottom of the engine on the 95-99 engines right? I mean, if the oil fill hole is in the rear, there is not some other hole in the head at that location, verses the oil fill hole being in the front...???

Sorry to make it sound confusing, but I think you know what I am thinking... LOL!

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by Cobra Jet; 08-22-2002 at 11:06 AM.

My Cars
    99 M3, 90 535iA, 89 325is
    I don't think it would work primarily because the 3.0 head is different than the 3.2 head.

Why not just drill another oil hole in the front of the cover?
    bmwpower / bmwcca 147895 / 05 X5 / 99 M3 / 90 535i / 89 325is track project

My Cars
    e36 M3, e36 325i
    Check the contours of the 2 engines and see if they are the same.
    i remember vaguely that where the VANOS is, the shape is different.
    <font size="1">97 M3 coupe dakar yellow/ alcantara
    UUC TME, UUC Comp Evo SSK w/ delrin carrier bushing & cartridge bearing, BBS RX 18", H&R coilover, euro clears, AC roof spoiler, RD sway bars, RD strut bar, X-brace, Ground control street stability kit (rear trailing arm bushing enforcer), e46 M3 RSM, Z3 reinforcement plate, Hamann kidney grille cover, OEM trunk spoiler, Schrick intake manifold, fan delete mod, underdrive crank pulley, debaffled & euro snorkel and K&N drop-in, UUC system-U DTM exhaust, glove box motorsport carbon fiber trim, AC pedals and knob, 35% tint, Zimmermann cross-drilled, EBC Greens.

92 325i estoril blue M3 look
    Motorsport International badge M3 door mouldings, 97+ kidney grill, AA chip, fan delete mod, debaflled & euro snorkel and K&N drop-in, RD exhaust, RD trunkspoiler, AC roof spoiler, Euro M-Technic steering wheel, Rob magnum knob, strut bar, Eibach pro-kit, fr Bilstein sport, rr Koni SA, sport pack sway bar, X-brace, 97 M3 spec front control arm bushing & RTAB, updated front strut bearings and mount to newer style, short shift and UUC delrin carrier bushings, UUC pedals, UUC clutch arm bushing, Stillen slotted rotors, KVR brake pads, M Doublespoke II, euro clears, AC aluminum pin strip decal, 35% tint.</font>

My Cars
    1997 Dakar Yellow M3
    So, how come you want to do this? Don't like filling from the rear of the engine?

My Cars
    4runner, Tundra, M3t
    The newer valve cover will fit o.k. Direct bolt on.
    M3 Turbo, coilovers, x-brace, SSR Comp, 531rwhp

My Cars
    Byzanz M3/4/6
    I have thought about doing this also, maybe when I need to replace my valve cover gasket. Its easier changing the oil with it up front.
    Byzanz on black M3/4/6

yes it is harder to fill the oil from the back. Also my funnel doesn't sit flat when I'm filling. But oh well, cuz I'm not about to spend a few hundred bucks so that filling my oil is easier to do.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3, Toyota Tundra V8 4x4, Yamaha FZ1
    Why not fill the engine oil through the oil filter housing while you are changing the oil filter? That is what I did when I changed my oil. That also helps to fill up the oil filter so that when the engine starts, the filter is already partially full of oil and oil gets to the bearings quicker.
    Alan, white 1995 M3 5 spd, white 2000 Toyota Tundra V8 4x4, silver 2002 Yamaha FZ1.

My Cars
    I think he also wants it to replace his valve cover because the paint on the front is coming off. I've seen this many times. Seems common.

My Cars
    ???
    Originally posted by bmwpower
    I don't think it would work primarily because the 3.0 head is different than the 3.2 head.

Why not just drill another oil hole in the front of the cover?
    How are the two heads different? Does one flow better then the other?

My Cars
    ?
    The head castings are identical.

My Cars
    So the castings are the same, but the displacement is different?

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 1966 Mustang 2+2 - 2003 Z4
    Originally posted by bmwpower
    So the castings are the same, but the displacement is different?
    Of course. The head has ZERO to do with the diplacement of the engine. Displacement is determined by bore, stroke and number of pistons.

Piston Diameter = PD
    Stroke = S
    Number of pistons = X
    Displacement = ((PD/2)^2)*S*X

FYI, BMW uses the same heads on 2.5L, 2.8L, 3.0L and 3.2L motors.
    www.understeer.com
    Your source for:
    Stromung|UUC|Eurosport|Hawk|H&R|Koni|Apexcone HID|Short Shift Kits|and more
    UUC Evo3 SSKs are IN STOCK - free 2-Day shipping!

My Cars
    BMW
    No, it is not a direct bolt on, the PCV valve or crank vent valve ,or what ever it's called, that goes on the very front of the valve cover is different on your 95 engine.

My Cars
    2001 330xi
    This might be a dumb question but, when it says 2.5 or 2.8 liters is that how much volume is in one cylinder?
    '01 330xi w/ sport package and all the trimmings.... Silver/Grey -->Stock

My Cars
    1997 Dakar Yellow M3
    Originally posted by bimmer95

Of course. The head has ZERO to do with the diplacement of the engine. Displacement is determined by bore, stroke and number of pistons.

Piston Diameter = PD
    Stroke = S
    Number of pistons = X
    Displacement = ((PD/2)^2)*S*X

FYI, BMW uses the same heads on 2.5L, 2.8L, 3.0L and 3.2L motors.
    Hey, you forgot Pi!

Displacement = Pi*((PD/2)^2)*S*X

:

This might be a dumb question but, when it says 2.5 or 2.8 liters is that how much volume is in one cylinder?
    That's the volume in all cylinders combined.

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 1966 Mustang 2+2 - 2003 Z4
    Originally posted by InvincibleDarkness
    Hey, you forgot Pi!
    Opps, yup
    www.understeer.com
    Your source for:
    Stromung|UUC|Eurosport|Hawk|H&R|Koni|Apexcone HID|Short Shift Kits|and more
    UUC Evo3 SSKs are IN STOCK - free 2-Day shipping!

My Cars
    1994 SVT Cobra
    so, I am seeing (2) different responses - some are saying "yes it will fit directly", while some are saying "no it may not"...

Is there any way of telling for certain if this swap would work without any troubles?

To answer the question why I would want to do this, 1) ease of oil filling, 2) the black valve cover on the models after 95 is black and does not peel/flake, 3) because I want to do it (haha...)

My Cars
    ???
    If the heads are the same then it must fit! And from the knowlegde my fellow beemer owners have taught me, the heads are 100% the same. Go buy the parts, you can do it!

My Cars
    BMW
    Trust me, I'm in the middle of doing an OBD I Conversion and it will NOT fit. The coils won't fit and the afore mentioned valve won't fit w/o modification!

My Cars
    TurboVert, MCoupe, 335xi

I left the 3.2 valve cover on my engine when converting to OBD1...

It was a pain in the butt to get the vent hoses to fit properly. I had to make a few of my own hose adapters.

It's not worth the hassle in my opinion.

I would remove your old one, and have it plated or powder coated. Then just put it back on with a new gasket. It will look great! ..not to mention the fact that $100 for powder coating is cheaper than a new valve cover and plastic beauty cover.

Take Care,
    Eric

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast