Thread: Does anyone know how to remove dry wax from bumper trim??? (w pic)

My Cars
    2007 328i (1998 328i)

Question Does anyone know how to remove dry wax from bumper trim??? (w pic)

After I waxed my car I got some wax on the trim, did not think twice about it. It has been a month after and I cant get the dryed wax ouf of there, I tried worm water today but with minimal luck.

This must have happen to many people, please let me/us know how to get rid of this, please look at pic, thanks!!!

My Cars
    Avus M3
    I just fixed that last weekend, What i did was buy some black trim paint at pepboys, took them off, sprayed them.

all nice and clean again.

(I was never able to get the damn wax off)

My Cars
    NSX
    That wax ain't gonna come off. Go buy some black Krylon Fusion, take the trim off, wash with alcohol, and paint. I did this a few days ago and it took about half an hour for prep and paint, half an hour to dry, and five minutes to install.

My Cars
    2007 VW Rabbit
    Havent tried this myself, but my dad said he got wax off of the plastic trim of his volvo xc90 with Mr. Clean. Just put it on a rag and scrubbed the wax off.

|H&R Sports|Bilstein Sports|3.15 LSD|URI Crank Pulley|M3 Exhaust|Slotted Front Rotors|Debaffled w/K&N|UUC Clutch Stop|CDV Delete|Depo Ellipsoids w/DDE|Crystal Clear Fogs|Clears all around|M3 Front Bumper|V2 Splitters|M3 Moldings|35% Tint|Stellar Keyless/Alarm|

My Cars
    2007 VW Rabbit
    I also removed my moldings and painted them with black paint. Looks good and lasts

|H&R Sports|Bilstein Sports|3.15 LSD|URI Crank Pulley|M3 Exhaust|Slotted Front Rotors|Debaffled w/K&N|UUC Clutch Stop|CDV Delete|Depo Ellipsoids w/DDE|Crystal Clear Fogs|Clears all around|M3 Front Bumper|V2 Splitters|M3 Moldings|35% Tint|Stellar Keyless/Alarm|

My Cars
    Avus M3
    mine use to look like yours here is a pic of them now

http://mail.google.com/mail/?view=at...780f8ad45b7699

My Cars
    Avus M3
    Quote Originally Posted by FNinjaP90
    That wax ain't gonna come off. Go buy some black Krylon Fusion, take the trim off, wash with alcohol, and paint. I did this a few days ago and it took about half an hour for prep and paint, half an hour to dry, and five minutes to install.
    u need to upgrade ur sig pic then, i dont wanna see your gray moldings.

My Cars
    1994 325i
    i also have the same problem....it is also on my door pillars.....for that i iwas planning on buying the carbon fiber kit....as for the bumper molding, i guess the only option is to paint it

My Cars
    2007 328i (1998 328i)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spahrman5
    Havent tried this myself, but my dad said he got wax off of the plastic trim of his volvo xc90 with Mr. Clean. Just put it on a rag and scrubbed the wax off.

looks like this is the only option other then paiting, I will try this then !!! thanks!

eheh funny looks like many people have this problem

My Cars
    1996 328is, 2004 Audi AllRoad 4.2
    To remove the wax residue, use a mild solvent: WD-40, turpentine, kerosene, mineral spirits. An old toothbrush will make quick work of the crevices. After the solvent, use "black again", or other dressing to bring out the original finish.

CJH

My Cars
    Avus M3
    hm that would work, good work CJH.

My Cars
    2001 330i Schwarz II
    I just use "Tire Shine" or "Armor all" or product a like after I wash my car... It will cover the wax mark and the molding looks great and it last for a long time!

I use it with the rectangular spounge (the one they sell to be use on tires) and you get the job done rather quickly!

< < < < < < < < < < : : : : : : : FOR SALE : : : : : : : > > > > > > > > > >
    Contour OEM wheels with tires - Staggered setup.17X7.5 ET41 X2 & 17X8.5 ET41 X2. Tires have less than 5,000 miles
    If interested, PM or email me for details

My Cars
    1998 328i
    Armor All worked on mine

My Cars
    E36, E6, G80
    toothbrush + simple green == teh bomb!
    1974 BMW 2002 Touring
    1996 Alpina B3 3.2 Touring
    1996 Alpina B8 4.6 Touring
    2023 BMW M3

My Cars
    2004-325i, 2005-530i,
    believe it or not, peanut butter. Don't knck it until you try it.

My Cars
    2007 VW Rabbit
    Quote Originally Posted by whonneb
    believe it or not, peanut butter. Don't knck it until you try it.
    Ive heard of doing that, sounds messy though

static667 is offline Harmful. Possibly fatal. BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '02 3xxCi
    WD-40. I used it on my trim and it returned them to their original (or close to it) darkness. It worked best on the side trims but it did take all the wax spots off the rest. WD-40 rocks....thanx areospace industry!

My Cars
    96 328is
    Get yourself a regular white eraser (large one) and rub it down. It takes it off good and leaves no residue. I wouldn't try any kind of solvent on it since you may destroy the finish. I did the eraser thing and was pleasantly surprised that it worked so well and that is now my method of choice everytime I get wax on my trim...and it is bound to happen no matter how careful you are with the wax. Check it out and it's cheap too
    Last edited by Riken; 11-13-2005 at 03:27 AM.

My Cars
    2007 328i (1998 328i)
    Quote Originally Posted by choffa
    To remove the wax residue, use a mild solvent: WD-40, turpentine, kerosene, mineral spirits. An old toothbrush will make quick work of the crevices. After the solvent, use "black again", or other dressing to bring out the original finish.

CJH
    thanks choffa I just used wd-40 and they look like new, even without any wax on them I will use wd-40 to make them look deep black

nice !