Harrison Motorsports

Thread: Anyone with an E46 M3 want to change to MTL-LT2?

My Cars
    2001 Ti. Silver M3

Anyone with an E46 M3 want to change to MTL-LT2?

I'm just hitting 35k miles on my M3, and I have been reading the benefits of switching transmisison fluid from MTL-LT1 to MTF-LT2. Anyone interested in going in on the fluid with me? It's only available in 5 liter containers and is enough to do 2 E46 M3's (manual transmissions, I'm not sure about SMG)

I think the container is around $100 plus shipping. I heard a rumor that was going to be offered in .5L bottles, but I havent been able to find it...

My Cars
    15 Alfa 4C, 17 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by rneily
    I'm just hitting 35k miles on my M3, and I have been reading the benefits of switching transmisison fluid from MTL-LT1 to MTF-LT2. Anyone interested in going in on the fluid with me? It's only available in 5 liter containers and is enough to do 2 E46 M3's (manual transmissions, I'm not sure about SMG)

I think the container is around $100 plus shipping. I heard a rumor that was going to be offered in .5L bottles, but I havent been able to find it...

What are the benefits?

"My philosophy, in essence, is the concept of man as a heroic being, with his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute." - Ayn Rand

My Cars
    2001 Ti. Silver M3
    Quote Originally Posted by M3Bill
    What are the benefits?
    Supposedly much better feel, and tons less "notchy" feeling. People have been replacing it the Lt1 fluid with Redline MTL or Royal Purple Synchrmax, but this LT2 is supposedly even better...

E46's built in 2004 supposedly come factory filled with it, so dont know if this affects you. I just need to change mine, so I am going to replace my LT1 with LT2...

My Cars
    '69,'70 Mustang,'86 Bronco, '02 M3
    Supposedly much better feel, and tons less "notchy" feeling.
    Yes but only for a week or two. After that it feels like LT1 and notchy when cold.
    Ersin
    E46 M3 Ti Silver
    Dinam Stage I seat covers, ///M valve stem caps, ///M license plate frame and manual rear sunshade. Modified stock muffler.These are considered mods right?

My Cars
    i3/E46 M3/SE30/325iT
    I was going to change mine the next time I had it up on a rack for something else. I hadn't decided which fluid to change it to, though. The aftermarket fluids cost much less.

My Cars
    2001 Ti. Silver M3
    Quote Originally Posted by aslanefe
    Yes but only for a week or two. After that it feels like LT1 and notchy when cold.
    How does LT2 feel when the transmission is warm??? It seems looking at the RoadFly E46 M3 forums, everyone swears by LT2

I dont know what I am going to switch to...

My Cars
    2001 Ti. Silver M3
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunATL
    I was going to change mine the next time I had it up on a rack for something else. I hadn't decided which fluid to change it to, though. The aftermarket fluids cost much less.
    Long time no talk/see Shaun... Let me know when you do it, maybe we can help each other out.

My Cars
    How does LT2 feel when the transmission is warm??? It seems looking at the RoadFly E46 M3 forums, everyone swears by LT2

I dont know what I am going to switch to...
    I got LT2 in February under warranty (I gave mechanic the SIB number and the part number for LT2, the invoice states "changed manual transmission fluid per service bulletin" so I assume he put LT2) while the weather was cold (well, as cold as it gets in mid GA). For about two weeks it felt great. Then it started to get notchy and feel like LT1. No complains when the tranny warms up, but I didn't have any problems with LT1 when it was warm either. Now when the tranny is cold I have to fight to get it in 1st or put it in 3rd first, then 2nd and 1st without releasing the clutch like I used to do with LT1 (that's what I do most of the time). After about 10 minutes of driving everything is fine. I can not comment on what other people say on Roadfly, but this is what I have experienced with LT2. I know a BMW mechanic in FL and asked him about this notchy feel; he thinks this is because of the tight tolerances on the diff as this is a high performance car. Might be true; if the tolerances are real tight, under cold weather there might be interference between parts (syncros, gears, etc.) that can cause this notchy feeling. I have about 43k mostly highway miles on the car, for someone with 43k city miles things might be different as they had to shift gears a lot more than I did. More shifting means more wear, that means no tight tolerances any more, and that gets rid of the notchy feel.
    Hope this helps.
    Ersin
    E46 M3 Ti Silver
    Dinam Stage I seat covers, ///M valve stem caps, ///M license plate frame and manual rear sunshade. Modified stock muffler.These are considered mods right?

My Cars
    i3/E46 M3/SE30/325iT
    Do they change to LT2 as part of warranty? Could you verify with your dealer that you really do have LT2?

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunATL
    Do they change to LT2 as part of warranty? Could you verify with your dealer that you really do have LT2?
    There is a SIB that says replace LT1 with LT2 if the customer complains about the tranny; but I can not find the SIB number on the SIB index I have. Ask in roadfly, someone over there might remember the SIB #. Also I don't remember which years that SIB covers, but my 02 was covered.
    I don't know how I can verify with the dealer on if they used LT2 or not. The invoice says they changed it per the SIB and I had given the mechanic the part # of the LT2 and had told him that there is an SIB on it. I don't think the mechanic would remember as this was in February, besides he left and went to work for a dealer in FL so I can't ask him.
    If you can find the SIB number let me know so I will look to see if I have it. If I do I will tell you what years are covered.
    Ersin
    E46 M3 Ti Silver