Thread: E36 Steering Wheel Tilt/Seat Height/

My Cars
    Supra

E36 Steering Wheel Tilt/Seat Height/

Hello everyone,

I've been searching these forums in regards to E36 steering wheels. I'm 6'4" (long legs) and I cannot fit comfortably in an E36 M3 driver's seat because the big, non-adjustable steering wheel.

I do not understand for the life of me why someone would swap in a non-airbag steering wheel into any car they drive on the streets, but I will not own a car without an airbag. Do I have any other options to either swap in another adjustable and/or small steering wheel that HAS an airbag and adapting the airbag plug/harness?

I know there is a webpage about a conversion, but I need a good 1-2 inches for my legs to fit under the steering wheel comfortably, and I doubt that conversion kit will be able to do that. Is there maybe a seat lowering kit that I could get? I know there are ones for other cars out there.

I am really downtrodden about this - hopefully someone will be able to help me out.

Thanks,

-m
    marcus
    marcus (at) garagedynamics.com

'02 Mercedes Benz E55 AMG
    296rwhp / 324rwtq
    Daily Driver.
    '98 Toyota Supra Turbo 6-Speed
    833rwhp / 680rwtq @ 31psi
    Nice Weather Only.

There's a German company that makes replacement airbag steering wheels - they do a 320mm one:

http://www.raid-rdi.com/e/fs_raid-rdi.htm

(look under products, air bag steering wheels)

I don't know what the stock size is, but it looks a lot smaller!

Jon

My Cars
    Supra
    Jon,

That is a very nice looking wheel - do you have any experience with the company or their products? They do not seem to have any prices listed on their site, either.

-m

Hey Jon,

My '96 318is seats actually move up and down. Their is a lever on the side of the side that allows the seat to move vertically. Maybe you could get your hands on one(or two) of these seats.

Originally posted by Marcus Frost
    That is a very nice looking wheel - do you have any experience with the company or their products? They do not seem to have any prices listed on their site, either.
    I don't have any experience of it, but a friend of mine is ~6'5 and has the same problem as you. Euro coupe's have tilt steering wheels, but it's still a problem for him. I did some research a while back and that's one of the things I suggested to him.

Google threw back another site -

http://www.der-autoladen.de/airbagneu1.htm

They are listed as being 359 euros, which is about 350USD

You can get a list of dealers from the raid site, I would think if they don't have a US dealer shipping from Europe wouldn't be that bad.

Jon

My Cars
    95 318ti and 94 Toyota SR5
    There is a really nice sport steering wheel made by Hamann. But I can't find a site that sell's them or list info on the size of it.

My Cars
    Toyota Broquoia
    What about the 3 spoke ///M wheels? Aren't those adjustable and don't they have airbags?

Originally posted by DiScoTeknix
    What about the 3 spoke ///M wheels? Aren't those adjustable and don't they have airbags?
    The adjustment is on the column, not the wheel....

Jon

My Cars
    Supra
    Well, good news. And just for anyone else who references this thread in the future, I thought I'd do a follow up.

My friend brought over his '95 M3 5-Speed Lux and I tried fiddling with the seat some more. Putting it down all the way in front and rear with it back a fair way and I fit! I was very excited. I took the car around the block and it just feels great. I'm hooked again.

Here's to hoping I'll be around here more often as a part of the community.

Cheers,

-m
    marcus
    marcus (at) garagedynamics.com

'02 Mercedes Benz E55 AMG
    296rwhp / 324rwtq
    Daily Driver.
    '98 Toyota Supra Turbo 6-Speed
    833rwhp / 680rwtq @ 31psi
    Nice Weather Only.