Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 97 M3, How hard to replace water pump?

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, Techno

97 M3, How hard to replace water pump?

Hi all,

I still haven't officially diagnosed my cooling system problem...but if it's the water pump, how hard is it to change? ALso, where's the best place to get one?

My Cars
    Avus/Black 97 328is
    Its not hard to replace the waterpump. THere are 2 sites that have DIY Guides on how to do it. PelicanParts.com and Understeer.com.
    http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...water-pump.htm is the link for waterpump replacement.
    http://www.understeer.com/waterpump.shtml is understeers waterpump replacement guide.
    P.S.: you could go ahead and do the fan delete mod from understeer while your down there.
    ~Preston

My Cars
    95 ///m3
    First I have point out the "search" button having said that here is an wright up with the explanation http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...water-pump.htm

this is also a great site for DIY's http://www.bimmerdiy.com

I did mine, pretty strait foreword and probably took half a day at most.(I just ran into some unexpected problems thats why it took so long for me)
    "We have a girl form Oklahoma on the show, shes hiding a banana, we'll find out where later. Giggity Giggity..Giggity Goo
    -quagmire

My Cars
    95 ///m3
    Beat me to it!
    "We have a girl form Oklahoma on the show, shes hiding a banana, we'll find out where later. Giggity Giggity..Giggity Goo
    -quagmire

My Cars
    whatever is there
    its a serious J O B may want to take it to the dealership foro this
    This shop ripped me off and they'll rip you off too!
    ~~~> Autobahn EBAY ID: 1autobahn1
    444 Vernon Way, El Cajon, CA 92020
    619-444-2290

My Cars
    89 325ix, 85 eta
    not that bad at all really, shouldn't take more than a couple of hours for your first time....the www.understeer.com guide has a guide too, but not pics.
    Hold on let me get my laptop and read this on the toilet.
    --DrDub

My Cars
    95 Daytona Violet M3/2
    the hardest part is to take off the clutch fan, after that you are good to go. I now gone fanless so if I do have to replace it again, it will probably take me like 1 hour.. if will take you long if you drain coolant properly... I just use a big pan to cover as much as coolant i can instead of draining them..

after that you will have to bleed it.

95 M3/2 DaytonaViolette` 5spd |-Hamann HM2-|-Dinan chip-|-stock-|

My Cars
    01 540i/6,02M5,99M3,72E3
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbonBlkE36
    I dont know what this is all about its actually a pretty easy job. THe worst part is taking the fan off, but if you just buy the little tool that helps you do it even that is pretty easy. THere are tons of posts on this I would suggest just running a search ppl do it all the time. The dealr will rip you off though guranteed on this one.

My Cars
    99’ M3
    If you have the clutch fan removal tool it should be easy

My Cars
    95 ///m3
    I used a long flat head screw driver.
    -quagmire

My Cars
    1995 M3 & 2000 540i
    do you guys drain the coolant out completely (the drain plug under the radiator and the drain plug on the block) or do you guys just let some of the coolant spill out and add whatever coolant is necessary? Can the same thing be done with the thermostat or is it absolutely necessary to drain the coolant then?

2011 328i X-Drive~Mercedes ML55 AMG~2000 E320~1998 Chevrolet Corvette~2001 BMW 740iL

My Cars
    97 E36M3 S54
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbonBlkE36
    Lol yea right... 1-10 id give it a 3, very simple diy

My Cars
    89 325ix, 85 eta
    Quote Originally Posted by x2nervisx
    do you guys drain the coolant out completely (the drain plug under the radiator and the drain plug on the block) or do you guys just let some of the coolant spill out and add whatever coolant is necessary? Can the same thing be done with the thermostat or is it absolutely necessary to drain the coolant then?
    you can do either for both, completely draining or just let the coolant come out when you remove the t-stat and/or pump. they are up high on the block where you won't loose much from the block.
    --DrDub

My Cars
    red poopbox
    i took my time. did it in 2 days b/c my friggin plastic radiator drain plug snapped and i had to order another one. not too bad of a job, just consult all the online diy's and your bentley or chilton manual.

Element Tuning - 2008/2009 NJMP Redline Time Attack/Formula X Champions [Street & Modified]
    RightFootDown

FS: E36 OEM fogs | UUC Chromoly RLCA's

My Cars
    03 Expedition, 12 PriusV
    Just got done doing this a few weeks back. Not the easiest car to change one on, but not the hardest by a longshot (my vote would go to the Miata, or any front wheel drive car).

Remember to get two bolts used for drawing the pump out of the housing (can't remember what size, bentley says and you can get 'em at home depot). Also, it is much easier to work on if you remove the upper radiator hose and the alternator duct. As someone else said, the trickiest bit is getting the fan off. Once that's done it's a breeze.

My Cars
    89 325ix, 85 eta
    M6 size.

My Cars
    1997 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffm3
    Just got done doing this a few weeks back. Not the easiest car to change one on, but not the hardest by a longshot (my vote would go to the Miata, or any front wheel drive car).
    Remember to get two bolts used for drawing the pump out of the housing (can't remember what size, bentley says and you can get 'em at home depot). Also, it is much easier to work on if you remove the upper radiator hose and the alternator duct. As someone else said, the trickiest bit is getting the fan off. Once that's done it's a breeze.
    I thought that I used the Thermostat housing bolts for this. Yes, it's also a good time to do the thermostat.
    Miscellaneous BMW parts for sale if interested please contact me.
    - Victory RTAB tools (older style) - $75 shipped
    - OEM wiper blade refills (7 boxes) - $30 plus shipping.

- M3 5spd tranny (pickup only - $500)
    - stock M3 sway bars (pickup only $40)
    - M3 front and rear calipers - need rebuilt

My Cars
    BMW M3

cooling

don't forget thermostat and housing, hoses, and maybe the clutch since it will all be apart.

My Cars
    1990 325is 1994 325i
    You will need a 1-1/8 open end wrench and hammer to remove fan clutch.
    Place the wrench at 12 oclock and strike down with the hammer. It will take a few strikes but will come loose, remember it is left-hand thread. You need to drain the raditor and block. I would recommend you change belts, thermostat and housing, [if it is not aluminum] with the aftermarket aluminum thermostat housing. Also the radiator if it has 60K or more on it. Once you have the pulley and belts off, unbolt the 4 10mm nuts that hold the pump in.You will need two 6mm x 1.0 x 25mm bolts. screw them in the two holes on the left and right side of the pump, when they bottom out by hand use a wrench, taking one turn at a time until it pops off. Two words " Bentley Manaul", buy one.

My Cars
    1997 M3
    Didn't need the bolts to remove my water pump, didn't need anything to break my engine fan loose either. Not even a screwdriver to stop the fan. I wasn't able to remove my engine drain block due to my jackstand positioning (thanks to the POS jack I had which I just returned,) so I got soaked when I pulled the WP out.. but this was definitely not a hard job.

This was my first time digging into any part of my engine as critical as this. I replaced the water pump, thermostat housing, thermostat, main wp/ps/alt belt and buttoned everything back up with no problem. My A/C belt tensioner was a bit tough as it was gritted up and missing its cover and I cracked off the end of my radiator drain plug (oops, still in there) ... but it is a simple bolt-up install. For gods sake don't pay anyone to do it.

Just be careful not to clamp down on the radiator drain plug too much, the end of mine shattered into a billion pieces.. and work on a cool car if you can so you can get to the engine block drain without burning the bejesus out of yourself.

1997 M3 (SOLD) :o 2000 528i Sport (SOLD)

My Cars
    1995 M3 & 2000 540i
    So you didn't end up draining all of the coolant out before taking out the water pump? I haven't done my water pump yet and I wanted to know if it is actually necessary to drain the engine of it's coolant. I would rather not since I remember last time I did, I had a hell of a time getting the engine block drain bolt out and would rather not do it again. Was there a lot of coolant that spilled out?

2011 328i X-Drive~Mercedes ML55 AMG~2000 E320~1998 Chevrolet Corvette~2001 BMW 740iL

My Cars
    89 325ix, 85 eta
    i used a plastic, under the bed, type container opened up under the engine and it caught all of it when i had to change my wp in my small one-car garage.

I then funneled it up, it was nearly a gallon of coolant/water so i added that much back in (did not reuse coolant, used new mix).

that is with the coolant that will also come out when you remove the upper radidator hose, start at the t-stat housing side and unscrew and aim down toward the container underneath.
    --DrDub

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Very old thread, found it with google search for water pump replacement. Going to replace my water pump in the near future as preventive maintenance. Sounds like the pump bearing is getting louder. Bought a new Graf water pump.
    Also read some articles where it is anyway recommended to change the water pump at around every 60 kmiles. T-stat and housing I already replaced less than 1 year ago.

Just wanted to add some good pics of older type pumps with cracked plastic impeller http://jackassofalltrades.com/water-pump.html
    Another DIY http://www.benhirsch.net/blog/?page_id=101
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Nice 12 year old thread.

Strongly suggest the Stewart pump for anyone doing a replacement. It's more expensive, but it gets you better flow and will outlast the car.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Had the Graf pump already on stock since some years on stand-by, so I will use that now. Graf pumps are pretty good, also installed by BMW for example in my M70 V12 engine of the E32 750
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast