Thread: Is the E46 rear top stut mount a good upgrade to replace the stock E36 top mount?

My Cars
    E36 M3, Dinan Supercharger

Is the E46 rear top stut mount a good upgrade to replace the stock E36 top mount?

Ok the title is my question. I just recently discovered an article online. The topic was the Koni shock and strut swap. But I noticed that the person used an E46 M3 rear shock top mount and not an aftermarket replacement. So, i thought i would ask to see who else did the same. the E46 is cheaper...so that is good but is it just as good as some of the one by Turner, AA, UUC, etc...
    Coucoui 6
    1998 Dinan Supercharged M3 with Dinan cat back exhaust, 2.70" S/C pulley, Coolingmist water/alcohol injection, UUC stage 2 flywheel & stage 3 SPEC clutch, UUC swaybarbarians, Dinan strut brace, X-brace, Vogtland club spec springs w/ Bilstein Sport shocks, E46 RSM w/ Z3 plate, Understeer SSK w/Delrin bushing & Sparco knob, Urethane bushings{control arms, trail arms, tranny mount}, Brembo Slotted rotors, Stainless Steel brake lines, Speedline 3 piece rims(front=18x8.5")(rear=18x10").

My Cars
    95 M3 LTW-R, et al
    Yes.

Add the Z3 reinforcement plate as well. Also try search for more explanation.

-Eff

"This is the best thread ever!! This was my first time looking at it and it was like watching a movie. Eff, your car is an absolute masterpiece!" -E36Cruisin, on the shameless LTW thread

My Cars
    1997 M3
    I like my Rogue Engineering RSM's.. solid, easy install, bottom mount design.

1997 M3 (SOLD) :o 2000 528i Sport (SOLD)

My Cars
    1999 Estoril Blue M3 Convertible
    All stock ones are pretty much junk.

just get an aftermarket set and never worry about them again.
    1999 Estoril Blue M3 Convertible
    1997 TL1000S (Daily road, track, touring bike)
    2002 KTM 300MXC (Enduro racer)

GOD - An imaginary friend for Grownups.

My Cars
    997 GT3, E90 M3, E46 ZHP
    Is the Z3 reinforcement plate the same as the E46 one? I called the dealer to order a pair of E46 M3 RSM's and asked for the Z3 plates. He said the Z3 and E46 M3 plates had the same part number and they were about 4 bucks a piece, does this sound right to you guys?
    997 GT3, F80 M3 6MT, E90 M3 Sedan DCT (for sale), 03 330i ZHP, 2016 WRX STI Limited

My Cars
    Okay, I just did the search on this topic and I have made up my mind. I like UUC's article on this subject also. I am going with this set up. The E46 rsm and Z3 plates. It will be paired with bilstein struts/shocks and stock M3 coils. I really have no interest in the adjustable stuff. I also think the stock spring are well designed in the first place.

Thanks for the input.
    Coucoui 6
    1998 Dinan Supercharged M3 with Dinan cat back exhaust, 2.70" S/C pulley, Coolingmist water/alcohol injection, UUC stage 2 flywheel & stage 3 SPEC clutch, UUC swaybarbarians, Dinan strut brace, X-brace, Vogtland club spec springs w/ Bilstein Sport shocks, E46 RSM w/ Z3 plate, Understeer SSK w/Delrin bushing & Sparco knob, Urethane bushings{control arms, trail arms, tranny mount}, Brembo Slotted rotors, Stainless Steel brake lines, Speedline 3 piece rims(front=18x8.5")(rear=18x10").

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by EOSphoto
    Is the Z3 reinforcement plate the same as the E46 one? I called the dealer to order a pair of E46 M3 RSM's and asked for the Z3 plates. He said the Z3 and E46 M3 plates had the same part number and they were about 4 bucks a piece, does this sound right to you guys?

look on UUC's web under tech section you will find the write up.
    Coucoui 6

My Cars
    5/94 Euro 325i coupe
    At least in my country, the dealers carry the same RSM for both E46's and E36's.

Yes, in their database, the E46 RSM and the E36 RSM has the SAME part number. They told me it has been like that for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by ClintonM3 View Post
    the Audi A4 is a tweaked, cosmetically enhanced, cross platform, put-together overnight VW.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeuser528e View Post
    Staggard setups are for cars that you park at show meets. They go well with 5 screens and 3 12"s.