Thread: how many miles on an S52 engine? + love rant

My Cars
    The Clown Shoe

Question how many miles on an S52 engine? + love rant

I got the 99 M Coupe with an S52 motor at 24k miles.

I fear that the car was a dealer demo. I'm also pretty sure that I have the 33rd car off the line. Build date is stamped 7/98 on the car, but the BMW dealer service history computer shows 6/98.

The car had two owners, and seems to have had regular maintenance. I have found no problems yet, and am working on decoding the BMW defect codes that I have for the car.

This is a coffin car, baring something bad, I'm keeping it forever. I'd love to get a another one as well. The only other cars I can think of that I'd have are more practical (ie Audi wagon or 540i or M5 similar) or crazy cars like 911 GT2 or Carrera 4s.

Considering the era of bland mass in which we currently live, I feel like I have a 1971 240z or something.

As long as I have the car, oil and all the filters will changed. I'll do the routine maintenance. Warm-up routines strictly followed, etc.

Within, say 25k or so miles, how long are these S52 engines good for before they are effectively worn-out?

My Cars
    '05 997 C2, '15 JKU
    most "big sixes" from BMW (the old 3.3 and 3.5L) are good for a half-million if properly cared for. an average joe can get 350K out of them though.

the smaller sixes are not as robust, but they are nonetheless well built. seeing as the S52 is basically a massaged M52 which is based on the M50.... you are good to go for at least 200,000 miles before anything starts to fall apart. I'd plan on having a work-through on the top-end done at about 150K and going through the whole thing between 200 adn 250K. easily enough to get you 25 years out with this as your second car.
    this space reserved for pissing off liberals...

ronthebabboonslayer: "helmet guy's post is far from polluting"

My Cars
    '05 997 C2, '15 JKU
    btw, BMW uses the CPO program because it makes money doing so. they warranty the engines to 100,000 miles that is saying a lot about the design and historic performance of the engines. enjoy my friend.

ps. I've seen M50s WAAAAY past 200K still going strong.
    this space reserved for pissing off liberals...

ronthebabboonslayer: "helmet guy's post is far from polluting"

My Cars
    If you stay "un-blown" you'll be good for six figures mileage easy, like das said, maybe even more 150-200K miles before any work would be required.

My Cars
    '00 BMW MCoupe, '06 Mazda3 sT HB

Thumbs up Look me up in 10 years

Originally posted by count_schemula
    I got the 99 M Coupe with an S52 motor at 24k miles.

I fear that the car was a dealer demo. I'm also pretty sure that I have the 33rd car off the line. Build date is stamped 7/98 on the car, but the BMW dealer service history computer shows 6/98.

The car had two owners, and seems to have had regular maintenance. I have found no problems yet, and am working on decoding the BMW defect codes that I have for the car.

This is a coffin car, baring something bad, I'm keeping it forever. I'd love to get a another one as well. The only other cars I can think of that I'd have are more practical (ie Audi wagon or 540i or M5 similar) or crazy cars like 911 GT2 or Carrera 4s.

Considering the era of bland mass in which we currently live, I feel like I have a 1971 240z or something.

As long as I have the car, oil and all the filters will changed. I'll do the routine maintenance. Warm-up routines strictly followed, etc.

Within, say 25k or so miles, how long are these S52 engines good for before they are effectively worn-out?
    \

I buy cars to keep. Planning to be like Travolta & his collection.
    My Civic Si is @ 160K on 1st clutch still!
    MC is @ 31.5K
    I maitnenance the hell out of these thing. Cause they are keepers. See you in 10 years!
    '00S52 RETIRED

'07 Silver Gray E86 MCoupe

My Cars
    Superstock '04 R6
    I had the same S52 in my '96 M3 and it was still running very strong at 89k. On top of that, a recent compression test showed every cylinder above 205 with 2 at 210. Not bad if you ask me. And I would think the M motors would last a bit longer than your standard items if not being "over driven".

My Cars
    The Clown Shoe
    Excellent news.

Yeah, some of this is regret driven. I should have kept my k75s, bought it new. You really get a bond to a motorcycle. A wreck is not a sit-n-spin affair. I used to stare at that thing.

I had some great times in my 944. I got some funny-ass pictures somewhere of a martini-bar I installed for halloween and I was dressed as hamburglar. It was still the best steering car I've ever had. I never liked 944 until I had one. I became a much better mechanic because of the 944. It was very reliable, but I did the tricky belt changes, rollers, cooling system overhaul, oil cooler, etc on it and at one point had the camshaft in my living room. All I had was the a credit card, a nearby sears (I had no tools) and a kick-ass 944 e-mail list "porschefans" or something like that.

The k75s and the Coupe were both "I gotta have one of those" kind of experiences. Did I say I missed the k75s?

I like the coupe cuz's it contemporaneous to me and it's just flat out cool. I lusted after 928GT and GTS but there's no way. Some of those 928 parts redefine obscene. I always like me some 911. The new ones have grown on me quite a bit (GT2 and Carrera 4s), but I'd be cool with a late 80's Carrera with no tail.

If my M Coupe truly is number 33, then I want to get another 99-00 to drive around and perhaps supercharge and fiddle with.

I dunno, maybe there won't even be gas in 30 years, or it will cost $5 gallon next summer, which it already should as much as I hate to say it.

I'm gonna track that K75s down. I'm gonna get it back.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 03 S2000
    How do you tell what number it is? Production number that is. You said yours was 33.
    My baby just turn her first 10K today. I felt kinda sad seeing it go up. But it has been great the last 10, and i'm definitely looking forward to the next 100 thousand fun filled miles. No doubt in my mind that this is a keeper. Lot of unique cars on the market and the M Coupe is one of the best.
    -John Z.
    99 M Coupe #26 (rest well friend)
    I miss my coupe!

My Cars
    The Clown Shoe
    I only have 2 pieces of evidence so far.

The car is stamped 7/98 as a build date. The BMW service computer says the build date is 6/98.

I think these were the first months of productions, and my VIN ends in LC60033

Anyone shed any light?

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 03 S2000
    See, I've checked with my dealer too. They told me mine was built in 7/98, and my VIN ends in 26. Does that mean mine was the 26th one built?
    -John Z.
    I miss my coupe!

My Cars
    The Clown Shoe
    If you buy into my theory

is it 0026?

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 03 S2000
    Originally posted by count_schemula
    If you buy into my theory

is it 0026?
    That's what I thought of in the beginning. And yes, it ends in 0026. It'd just be very cool if your theory is correct.
    -John Z.
    I miss my coupe!

My Cars
    2 of the original batch right here!!

My Cars
    Rogue 3 TTs2.5 / Rubicon
    I'm running an M52B25 motor in my 323is (second generation single vanos I6-2.5L) and have 87,000 well earned miles. Maintenance is routine and it doesn't burn a drop of oil and it's parking spot in the garage is spotless.

nearly 5 years and counting, I'm kinda glad my brother bought it from me - I'd miss it otherwise.

Hey man, I'm a professional!

My Cars
    M3/Z3/X1/X3
    My M20B27 is at 214K and going strong, it consumes a little coolant, but otherwise is okay. I'd trust the M52/S52US to go well into the 200s, and beyond if cared for. BMW isn't known for the best I6s for no reason :-)