Thread: BBK and track pads

My Cars
    99M3, 04 M3 , 17 F250

BBK and track pads

I had been running Hawk HT-10s in the front with Axiss Ultimates Rear. This combo worked very well last summer. Late in the day after my last run my pedal was on the floor. I just purchased JTD brake ducts and a UUC BBK 13".

Im going with HPS+ pads for normal usage. (To and from the track, and to joy ride sometimes.) This is my first time using the HPS+ pads. I really liked the Ultimates, but got some glazing at my last auto-x and couldnt get the car to stop. My first run I went right off course. They were cold, but street pads should not be that bad when cold.

Anyway, If I go with Hawk Blues with the BBK is it a must to go with the track pads in the rear as well.

Also open to other pad options for those using a BBK.

Thanks
    Doug (BMWCCA HPDE Instructor, Respect My Authoritay!)

1999 Titanium Silver M3 track Rat
    2017 F250 Powerstroke
    2004 M3 Widebody, LS

My Cars
    98 M3
    i wouldn't use blues cause of the dust. When I was looking at BBK's, the available pad selection for the uuc's wasn't really that much.

You don't have to run a race pad in the rear, but it certainly helps.

HT10's/HT14's, Spec VR's, Pagid Orange, Pagid Black, PF97/PF01's. Are all great race pads, just maybe hard to find to fit the SSBC caliper.
    Sean

My Cars
    99M3, 04 M3 , 17 F250
    Heard anything about carbotechs?

2017 F250 Powerstroke
    2004 M3 Widebody, LS

My Cars
    2012 Tacoma
    I would stay away from the Blues. I think James from bimmerworld likes the HT14s in the front and HT10s in the rear. My recommendation is Cobalt VR spec all around.

EDIT: Just realized you have UUC...not sure if Hawk/Cobalt make a pad for that.

Is divorce in the air? Get the list and follow it!
    http://forum.dadsdivorce.com/viewtopic.php?t=13374

My Cars
    2017 530i M-sport
    Check with Porterfield. Their R4 (track) and R4-S (hi-perf street) pads don't have caustic dust. They may have fitments and they're less expensive than many. I'd try the R4 front and R4-S rear. Or, go with R4 f/r.

www.porterfield-brakes.com

Jay

From wannabe to has been in a few short years..... the older I get, the faster I was

My Cars
    #199 IP BMWCCA
    The Carbotech dust certainly isnt as corrosive than the Hawk.. at least from my own use. I think the UUC kit uses a Ferrari F40 pad? Cant remember....
    Eric WONGer
    2012 NASA Nationals GTS3 First Loser
    EX-#121 IP/GTS3 M3 SOLD
    Now-#121 GTS3 E46 M3

My Cars
    99M3, 04 M3 , 17 F250
    They use the pads from 3000GT VR4. I really like the HT-10, but cant get it in this size.

2017 F250 Powerstroke
    2004 M3 Widebody, LS

My Cars
    97 M3/4, 06 M5, 03 X5
    Carbotech Panthers are what I used in mine and they were great. A lot of the same feel as the Pagid Orange with great torque and initial bite. XP-10's are what I used.
    1997 BMW M3/4 Cosmos Black Luxury Package 437whp 378 ft/lbs torque Dyno Dynamics Dyno
    10 psi Stage III KO Performance Vortech supercharger,

My Cars
    a great movie....
    Quote Originally Posted by CABimmer
    I had been running Hawk HT-10s in the front with Axiss Ultimates Rear. This combo worked very well last summer. Late in the day after my last run my pedal was on the floor. I just purchased JTD brake ducts and a UUC BBK 13".
    Im going with HPS+ pads for normal usage. (To and from the track, and to joy ride sometimes.) This is my first time using the HPS+ pads. I really liked the Ultimates, but got some glazing at my last auto-x and couldnt get the car to stop. My first run I went right off course. They were cold, but street pads should not be that bad when cold.
    Anyway, If I go with Hawk Blues with the BBK is it a must to go with the track pads in the rear as well.
    Also open to other pad options for those using a BBK.
    Thanks

Stick with HT10's or HT14's, get ducting on immediately, and use top quality brake fluid.

My Cars
    99M3, 04 M3 , 17 F250
    In Hawk pads, I can only get Blues. I have JTD brake ducts sitting in my garage.

2017 F250 Powerstroke
    2004 M3 Widebody, LS

Rob Levinson is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    BMW Tech Expert
    BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMW and Mercedes
    Your original post says "Hawk HPS+"... do you mean Hawk HP-S, or do you mean HP-Plus? These two pads are very different!

The HP-S is a bit of an older-design street pad... they work fine for street use, but will dust more than some newer compounds. For basic street use, I would recommend the Hawk Performance Ceramic, Akebono ProACT ceramic, and even the Satisfied Pro Ceramic. We've tested all three and found them to be all excellent street choices that can also take a lot more heat... they are virtually dustless (I dislike the term "dustless" - there's no such thing) and have very high heat ranges.

The HP-Plus is a more aggressive compound with very strong initial bite and a high heat range. These are semi-race pads you can use on the street, really good for auto-x as they work fine when cold, but as should be expected with an aggressive pad, there will be dust.

For serious track use, there are a number of great choices. Carbotech does offer pads for the UUC/SSBC brake kit in the FMSI D531 fitment.

But what you should take advantage of is the absolute steal of a deal that TireRack has right now on SBS ProTrack pads. These are track/race pads and you probably do not want to use them on the street. Until recently, these pads were almost $200 a set... TireRack has them on sale right now for $42!

You can get more technical details on the pads I discuss above and see all of TireRack's offerings in the D531 fitment by following this link:

http://************/2qhk7

----------
    NOT with that company any more.

My Cars
    The Bavarian Falcon
    The problem Rob is that Tire Rack only has rears listed on the SBS Pro's.
    93 325is - total M3 conversion and more - Dinan SC kit - RMS aftercooler and tuning - 395rwhp on 91 octane.
    "....She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself." -Han Solo

CarDomain page

My Cars
    a great movie....
    Quote Originally Posted by CABimmer
    In Hawk pads, I can only get Blues. I have JTD brake ducts sitting in my garage.

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you already had the UUC brake kit & were using HT10's in them. My error.

coughcoughYOUSHOULDHAVEBOUGHTSTOPTECHcoughcough

My Cars
    99M3, 04 M3 , 17 F250
    Quote Originally Posted by Croak
    What he said, I guess we missed the window.

2017 F250 Powerstroke
    2004 M3 Widebody, LS

Rob Levinson is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    BMW Tech Expert
    BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMW and Mercedes
    Quote Originally Posted by Croak
    Oops, sorry... I know some of our customers were "stocking up" the last couple of weeks.

Talk to the guys at Carbotech, they've got a new race formulation and are very good to deal with.

- Rob

My Cars
    2011 1M
    FWIW, I'm running Carbotech XP10 (front)/XP9 (rear) and really like them.

Neil

P.S. Thanks Eric W./brakeswap!
    MDORPHN - 2011 Alpine White 1 Series M Coupe w/stuff

My Cars
    '99 M3
    I use Carbotech XP9/8 (FR/RR) on my e36 M3. I really like them. Initial bite is great. They are dusty, but the dust comes off w/ soap and water. Plus, they last! I ran 5 DE events before I had to swap the FR pads.