Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: Whats the best wax/polish ?

My Cars
    2006 325i

Whats the best wax/polish ?

I need a wax or polish that I can find at a local store and that is excellent .

My Cars
    2006 325i
    up

My Cars
    e36 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by paintball pete
    I need a wax or polish that I can find at a local store and that is excellent .
    You do realize that wax and polish are two totally different things? For Polish Use PoorBoys SSR line and for wax..sealant, klasse sg.

My Cars
    '98 M3/4
    Of the many brands that can be had at your local store, I'd have to say Meguiar's #16 HI TECH YELLOW wax is the nicest you'll find. Realize that it is only a last step product that you'd use only if your paint is in excellent condition.

You'd use a polish to get the paint in condition to be waxed. Check out Autopia.org for lots of info.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    The terms polish and wax are somewhat ambiguous. I like to use the term polish to describe products that clean the paint and remove or hide imperfections without providing paint protection. I use the term wax to describe products that make the paint shine and provide a layer of protection to the paint surface.

I'm going to assume you have cleaned the paint and prepared it for the the LSP (last step product). You generally have two categories of LSP: sealants or wax.

Sealants (sometimes called synthetic waxes) are generally synthetic resins or polymers. After application, they cross-link or polymerize to form a durable glossy finish. The best of these last months. Klasse and Zaino are sealants. Locally, you're probably limited to Meguiar's NXT and Mother's FX. From what I've read, these products leave a good shine and will last 6-8 weeks.

The term wax is generally applied to natural products. Most people choose to use products that are mostly carnuba wax. These products can be liquid or paste form with no real difference. The big names here are Pinnacle Souveran and P21S. The best wax I've found locally is S100. Many Harley-Davidson shops carry the S100 wax for about $17. It is very similar, if not identical to P21S wax. Goes on like butter. You remove it before it hazes, so it comes off easy, too.

If you're not looking for perfection that some of us feel we get with the boutique products, then any of the products listed above will probably work for you. I've used Meg's NXT liquid wax and I like it. I've also used S100 and think it is a really great product.

I'll mention one more product that I've recently used, but is only available through mail order, Optimum Car Wax. It's a spray on, wipe off product that is a combination of carnuba and methicone polymer sealants. It takes about 15 minutes to cover the entire car, and leaves an outstanding shine that lasts a couple of months. Available at Autogeek.
    Steve
    2001 530i/5 S+P CDV delete/Akebono ceramic pads/M5 SSK/RedLine MTL/M5 rear sway bar
    BMWCCA Member #337964

My Cars
    a truck, and my esca-legs.
    meguires medallion. my dad uses it for gituars, he wont let me use it, look on ebay, its about $30 a bottle, gives it a mile deep shine and protection up the friggen chilihole.
    my truck is a mazda, NOT a ford

My Cars
    95 ///M 02 F4i
    Quote Originally Posted by HighAltitudeE30
    meguires medallion. my dad uses it for gituars, he wont let me use it, look on ebay, its about $30 a bottle, gives it a mile deep shine and protection up the friggen chilihole.

LOL.. well I'm sold!
    Bring MoneyWith you.

My Cars
    2005 E46 M3
    I like Mother's wax over Meguiar's, it's easier to take off after the wax dries. When you use Meguiar's, it takes a longer time because you have to keep on rubbing in the wax into the paint until it blends in, whereas after mother's wax dries, it just flakes off. IMO, both are good brands and good results. If you are a fanatic about a clean/nice looking car, get Klasse All in one. It's supposed to protect your car for 4-6 months in one coat, but it comes at a price. Got mine at a discount for $24.

My Cars
    2K Z3, 997 911S
    Zaino brothers.

My Cars
    1999 540it
    Quote Originally Posted by uscbeemer328
    I like Mother's wax over Meguiar's, it's easier to take off after the wax dries. When you use Meguiar's, it takes a longer time because you have to keep on rubbing in the wax into the paint until it blends in, whereas after mother's wax dries, it just flakes off.
    Meguiar's NXT tech wax comes off a lot easier than some of there previous lines. It's only about $15 a bottle and provides a really nice shine. Next time I buy wax it will probably be Zaino though.

stock for now

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP MT6
    Zymol.

My Cars
    purple ///m3
    s100 or nattys

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy
    Zymol.
    No.

I use Griot's products. The Best of Show wax is a pain to take off if you use a thick coat, but if you apply with a machine.....It comes out looking gorgeous.

My Cars
    Porsche 911 Turbo,911 RS
    I use a Meguire's 3 stage system with the NXT

My Cars
    01 540i/6,02M5,99M3,72E3
    how does the three stage work for ya? DO you think its pretty good? Could you substitue their NXT tech wax paste for teh third stage insated of the red bottle of carnuba wax or whatever its called?

My Cars
    04 Mach1
    Quote Originally Posted by MBENZF1
    Zaino brothers.
    Expensive but well worth it.
    2004 Oxford White Mach1 M6 UIP (The Daily Driver)
    Shopping around for a e30 M3, or a foxbody. Who knows?

My Cars
    '14 535i, '13 X5 3.5
    another vote goes towards s100. i've been using this product for the past 4 years now. the only downside to using this is the longevity. if you leave your car outside to battle the elements (like i do), then you'll find yourself reapply every 3-4 weeks. of course, i went a little overboard (when i had the time of course) and used to add a layer of s100 every two weeks.

very easy on-easy off process. the s100 does a 100x's better job making darker colors really shine!

-mike

My Cars
    02 M5, '14 328D, '91 325
    klasse. that stuff is magic

My Cars
    01 540i/6,02M5,99M3,72E3
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast
    klasse. that stuff is magic
    Where do you get this klasse stuff from?