Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: M42 Project started! (S42 Replica)

My Cars
    95 318i
    Is there a dyno in your area? I'd like to see what your car can put down
    '95 318i - DASC Supercharged - 269° Camshafts - 30lb injectors - Ostrich 2.0 tuning - Coil On Plug conversion - 11lb flywheel 228mm clutch - AST 4100's,

My Cars
    e36 318is
    giz i love wat you are doin, i am also an m42 guy. i have torn down my engine and am about to start putting it back together when i realized i need to figure out what i am going to do about the electronics and i have decided to build the engine up to an existing chip.

do u have any ideas?

i dont have the money to reconfigure my fuel managment system and i was wondering if you knew of a chip i could plug in and play with or something inexpensive.

also i was wondering if you could build and send me the itb setup you have, and how much would that cost me.

thanks a lot man. again your a genius and i love this engine

My Cars
    '91 Schwarz 318i
    I have a solution to your problem but its not letting me post the links, as I am a "new" member here....
    I'll send them to your email if you'de like?
    Real skill comes from whether or not you come out of the corner in 1 piece.
    Anyone can stomp the throttle and go in a straight line.

My Cars
    95 318i
    post the link with spaces in it
    '95 318i - DASC Supercharged - 269° Camshafts - 30lb injectors - Ostrich 2.0 tuning - Coil On Plug conversion - 11lb flywheel 228mm clutch - AST 4100's,

My Cars
    95 318i
    like www dot google dot come slash blahblahblah

My Cars
    '91 Schwarz 318i
    This is the piggy back unit, for cars with engines other than the M20 & M30
    http: slash slash millerperformancecars dot com slash catalogue slash 131 dot html

This one explains what it does better, but it for the M20 & M30
    http: slash slash millerperformancecars dot com slash catalogue slash 435 dot html

My Cars
    ofc
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwarz318i View Post
    This is the piggy back unit, for cars with engines other than the M20 & M30
    http: slash slash millerperformancecars dot com slash catalogue slash 131 dot html

This one explains what it does better, but it for the M20 & M30
    http: slash slash millerperformancecars dot com slash catalogue slash 435 dot html
    Fixed links for you
    http://millerperformancecars.com/catalogue/131.html
    http://millerperformancecars.com/catalogue/435.html

My Cars
    '91 Schwarz 318i
    lol thanks

My Cars
    1991 318is E30,1990 318is, 1991 525i E34
    Hi gizmo, I´m a new guy on the forum.(Hi everyone by the way...)
    I live in Barcelona, Spain, and I´m a M42 guy(two 318is, and 4 spare engines in the garage...)
    I´m doing your same conversion (2.0 is)
    But with the exception of a downing atlanta supercharger added to the package.
    I have found a bottom end from a 2003 118d The sticker on the back says M47, but on realoem says it was only with M47N engine.
    Is the M47N crank compatible in some way?
    Or should I go for the M47?
    Thanks for the help.

My Cars
    Newly acquired POS 93 318is
    This is kinda off topic but do any of you M42ers perhaps have engine parts you'd be willing to sell? PM me if you do. Thanks!

My Cars
    '95 E36
    Quote Originally Posted by hegone2fast View Post
    I have found a bottom end from a 2003 118d The sticker on the back says M47, but on realoem says it was only with M47N engine.
    Is the M47N crank compatible in some way?
    Or should I go for the M47?
    As far as I know, The 318d is the same 2 liter M47, but downtuned.
    '95 E36 318tdS:
    Bilstein Sport shocks; x-brace; H&R front sway bar; camber shims; M3 offset LCABs; Meyle HD LCAs; Z3 RSM reinforcement plates; ZHP shift knob.

My Cars
    318is, 2.3-16V, Astro
    Just read through this entire thread and it was incredible.

Thanks Gizmo for the incredible effort and ingenuity. I never knew you could tune an M42 in such a way and it definitely gives me something to think about in the future...

Also I have to say I'm impressed by how mature everyone else was(ie. no name calling fights) and all the good info. Definitely an informative thread.

My Cars
    92 318is/92 325is/
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    Awesome work Gizmo! Unfortunatly for us M44 guys it looks like the M47 crank doesn't have the timing wheel that is found on the M44 crank. Keep up the great work and keep us informed on the cams

Nice ass fucking car man

My Cars
    1993 318is Sterling
    wow subscribed, knew these engines were good now they only get better with some TLC and a carp load of work good to hear someone can take on this project hope to follow when i get enough $$ and a second car lol
    It may be a 4 but its still a BMW!!!

My Cars
    E46, RT, Avalanche
    [quote=Gizmo318i;5360885] Finished product:

Why did you add an extra piece of hose to the upper radiator hose? From what I can spot here, I'm assuming the hose was a tad short.

BTW your project does in fact look awesome!! Mad Props goes out to you Gizmo
    It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.

My Cars
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo318i View Post
    Well, I have finally started my project to build a replica S42B20 motor.

I pulled my 318i into the garage on monday and removed and stripped the M42B18 down to its bare components. Afew months back I got hold of a M44 sub-assembly and started by stripping it down and cleaning it up. I had it bored out from 85mm std to 86mm to fit Euro M3 3.0lt pistons.

At this stage I was going to use the M44 crank which had an 83.5mm stroke but found out that a M47 (E46 320d) crank might fit, it did. Now I have an 88mm stroke. The nice thing about the M47 crank is it has the same dia. big-ends and main bearings as the M42/M44. And its a forged crank! With the 86mm bore and 88mm stroke its now a 2045cc motor (nearly a 2.1lt). With M3 3.2lt pistons it would be a 2069cc. I am using the M44 rods for the job, the pistons are being decked and pocketed this week, this will make 'em flat-top and raise the compression some too.

Once I get everything back from the engineers I will have the whole bottom-end fully balanced and look into that stupid harmonic damper...
    I got some quotes today for Euro M3 throttle bodies and will get a set of 6 next week which will cost me R2500=$375. I will remove the two center ITBs and I will be using the 300cc M3 injectors and the Euro M3 plenum chamber but cut off the two ends to make it work with the 4 ITBs.

As for the head, I will buy another M42 head at a later stage and fit M3 3.2lt 35mm intake valves, cut them 3-angle along with the 30mm exhaust valves. Gas-flow the head and finish off with a nice polishing and a skimming to raise the compression even more. I will fit the solid lifters from the Euro M3 too so I can rev it over 7500rpm. I have only found one set of cams that I can use which are made by Schrick. They have a 256 duration and a 10.4mm lift, I think they will be a little small for what I want. Can someone point me in another direction??? Custom cams or some other company makes M42 cams already?

The exhaust system I have should be alright for now, Im using the M42 manifold coupled to a custom 57mm s/s freeflow system with twin staggered chrome tips. I will change the tips to a single smallish chrome tip to give it a sleeper look, hehe. When I get the other cyl head done I will get some custom 48mm exhaust headers made up.

As for the management, I will be using the std Bosch DME with a Dastek unichip. I could look into a stand alone system at a later stage but its not that neccesary for a normally aspirated car. The guys at www.kempower.be manage 315hp out of a normally aspirated S42B20 with the Bosch DME so it should be good enough for me...

love your E36 lightweight!

My Cars
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by JedzE36/5 View Post
    its about time someone has actually gone forward with this! good luck!
    wow I have to say man (here's your car)

I never liked orange headlights, or even -ti's.
    HOWEVER, you have made a hella of nice-lookin' abstract out of this, pulling together many things I would normally NOT like, and making it beautiful! DO love your car man!

My Cars
    '91 Schwarz 318i
    What is it putting down for numbers?? I am EXTREMELY curious about this!

My Cars
    318is
    I joined up just for this thread Gizmo - very interested indeed.
    I have 1 question: the S50B30 throttlebodies; how much work did you need to do before they went on to your cyl-head? Are they a perfect fit once you remove the two centre 'bodies?

Cheers!
    Scott

My Cars
    ofc
    @letsplayskatch:
    http://www.bmwowner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19510

and then in his photobucket (http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...vemitchell321/) you'll see pictures

My Cars
    318is
    Exclellent, thanks for the links! Looks like a complicated install he has there.
    I have a set of Weber Alphas sat around. If i butcher an M42/M44 manifold, I can weld DCOE flanges on to them, so the bodies can be bolted onto the flanges. Just need to find whaer i can get some DCOE flanges from - they're tricky to find.

Another question - Ive spoken to a supplier of JE Pistons about a custom piston set, and matching Pauter rods. If I go for custom M44 pistons (@ 86.40mm diameter), 90mm M47N crank, and M42 Pauter forged rods (not that the rod specs matter for CR), what sort of compression would I be looking at with a stock gasket (the 1.74mm one). Am i right that it's about 11.57:1?

Scott

My Cars
    318is
    Awesome M42 article!!

My Cars
    e36
    Quote Originally Posted by frost dxb View Post
    I have an M43 too for this project and im buying an E30 M42 which would be my donor for the Head, front of the engine & the Rods as i cant afford an E36 M42.
    is m42 head direct bolt on to m43 block or it needs modifications?

My Cars
    1994 SVT Cobra

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
    Could someone explain this AFM > MAF conversion? I've searched, but the stupid search function won't search for 3 letter words . . . like AFM or MAF or M42 . Basically, what is required to make it work? Do you just swap in the MAF in place of the AFM, or do you need to tune the electronics additionally? How much do the parts generall cost?
    Gizmo -

if you still visit this forum - can you answer the above question? I read and re-read the entire thread and I don't see a response from you with regards to the above question(s) regarding the AFM to MAF conversion... Can you elaborate a little more about the conversion and how you did it? I did see the conversion AFM to MAF wiring diagram you had posted on page 13, but is there more to the conversion than just that & securing the proper MAF parts?

Thx!!
    Last edited by Cobra Jet; 02-18-2009 at 02:54 PM.
    1991 BMW 318ic & 1995 ///M3 coupe - SOLD

My Cars
    328ti
    engine found on E30 use a MECANICAL component called a AFM (air flow meter) to mesure the amount of air going throw the intake. I this way, the computer can calculate the amount of fuel to inject in each cylinder. They stop using this component around 1992. They replaced the AFM with a MAF (mass air flow meter) wich is an ELECTRONIC component used to mesure the amount of air going throw the intake.

The other main disavantage of such a
    component is that the response time is very slow

*found on montrealracing forum*

Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast