Thread: Nagging shimmy/shake issue???

My Cars
    1997 740IL

Nagging shimmy/shake issue???

I am really having trouble shaking off this shimmy/shake issue with my 1997 740IL. I got new rims (20x8.5) with Kumho Ecsta Supra (255 35ZR20 93W) tires. It shook really bad when I got them because i think the more weight and size exposed the worn out control arms and suspension struts in the front. I tried getting the wheels rebalanced several times by different workers. This did not help. I ordered the kit off ebay and had these replaced. Before they were replaced my car would shake real hard starting at 45 and then shake less as the speed got greater but it still shook immensely. It also shook hard when the car reached 45 when braing from higher speeds. This agressive shake went away at 45 when I got these parts installed. But with my luck, the decent amount of shake was still present at 50+. It seems like te shake/shimmy decreases when I go around a curve left or right. The car does pull to the left so it is out of alignment. Does this have anything to do with the shake? I have searched numerous threads but I have not seen anyone in my situation. What could possibly still be causing this shimmy/shake? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Giants9595; 10-25-2005 at 02:01 AM.

My Cars
    1997 740i, 1973 Bronco, 1996 Bronco
    Quote Originally Posted by Giants9595
    I am really having trouble shaking off this shimmy/shake issue with my 1997 740IL. I got new rims (20x8.5) with Kumho Ecsta Supra (255 35ZR20 93W) tires. It shook really bad when I got them because i think the more weight and size exposed the worn out control arms and suspension struts in the front. I tried getting the wheels rebalanced several times by different workers. This did not help. I ordered the kit off ebay and had these replaced. Before they were replaced my car would shake real hard starting at 45 and then shake less as the speed got greater but it still shook immensely. It also shook hard when the car reached 45 when braing from higher speeds. This agressive shake went away at 45 when I got these parts installed. But with my luck, the decent amount of shake was still present at 50+. It seems like te shake/shimmy decreases when I go around a curve left or right. The car does pull to the left so it is out of alignment. Does this have anything to do with the shake? I have searched numerous threads but I have not seen anyone in my situation. What could possibly still be causing this shimmy/shake? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    I find myself in almost the same situation? I just got 19's and just had my 3rd high speed balance on the car. The car does not have the steering wheel shimy after leaving the shop but it just comes back the next day. My car seems to have a shake a 40-45 and will go up to 55 then be OK? Almost the exact same problem you are having?

Does yours get a little better once you drive for a while or seem a little spuratic?

I have a 1997 740i.

My Cars
    own
    Are you guys using hub centric rings on these new wheels?

John

My Cars
    '99 740is
    Hub centric rings is probably your problem, or the lack thereof rather.
    Fingers crossed

My Cars
    '99 740is
    Do either of you have a friend with an E38 that could swap wheels with ya for a control test?
    Fingers crossed

My Cars
    own
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfstu
    Hub centric rings is probably your problem, or the lack thereof rather.
    Either way those hub centric rings will give them problems unless your wheels have the 72.56 mm diameter. Going from 72.56 to 74.1 with rings it will NEVER work out great.

I had the opportunity to own a set of wheels (Hamann PG2) that required me to use these hubcentric rings due to the fact that the center bore of E39 is 74.1mm and E38 is 72.6mm. That’s about 2mm or even less but let me tell you that makes a whole lot of difference.
    I found out that it is extremely difficult to redo what BMW did and I don’t care what kind of rings you have (am sure people can debate on this part) or what they are made of you will still get some kind of shimmy or vibration in the steering wheel. I have tried from plastic to forged rings to aluminum rings and could not get rid of the vibration in the steering wheel altogether.
    Lets suppose you do get the rings to sit correctly one time but next time you need to balance your tires there’s no way to get the back exactly the same way. At one point I thought no big deal I will just deal with it but next time I would drive the car I could not handle the vibration in the steering wheel any longer so i sold the wheels to an E39 owner and he's happy with them because they were made for that type of car. Some people claim it worked for them and they might if your suspension is worn out somewhat but after i changed all my components (tie rods, upper & lower control arms) with new ones the problem appeared but not before. The shimmy would go away if i would put on the correct wheels with the correct hub size so i knew that the wheels that required the hub centric rings were the problem.

Good luck,

John
    Last edited by johngoga; 10-25-2005 at 09:40 AM.

My Cars
    1989 BMW 750il
    Mine did the same with new wheels. You need to get the right hub centric rings. They are cheap ~$20 for 4. Have a good tire shop investigate this. Or you can use a micrometer and mic the inside diameter of your wheel hub, and the outside diameter of your hub on the car and that will tell you what size rings you need. Mine are almost paper thin and plastic, but they took care of the problem.
    Sasquatch
    2002 BMW 325Xi
    2001 MB ML430

My Cars
    2000 740i sport

Hope this helps

1. Does this happen when you use the stock rims and tires?
    2. Are any of the rims bent? Even a slight bend with a 35 series tire on BMW (Engineered to ensure that the driver feel the road) will create serious shaking.
    3. Speed Balancing: Only use a shop with this machine http://www.gsp9700.com/
    If they are a serious tire and rim shop they will use the Hunter GSP9700.
    4. Are you guys using Hub centric Rings?
    a. If no, then get “Correctly Sized” hub centric rings?
    b. If yes are they “Correctly Sized” hub centric rings?
    c. If they are a serious T/R shop they will size them and cut them onsite.

These are all things that I know from experience.
    I have a 2000 740i sport with 20 inch Chrome Hartge Nova 7’s with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 245/40/20 Front by 275/35/20 Rear.
    When I first got the rims I had Faulken 255/35/20 and 285/30/20.
    I would always bend rims or feel the steering wheel shake. I do live in Brooklyn and the pot holes are serious. When it was time to get new tires I decided to with a taller tire. These tires are about ½” taller than before. I did have slight rubbing in the front tires for about 2 – 3 weeks, but the wheel wells wore in about an 1/8”.
    Now that I have changed to taller tires the car rides like when I had the 18” M-Pars.

Hope that helps,
    Dan aka Humanite

My Cars
    Thanks for all the advise!

I asked the wheels shop if the Beyern Fives were hub centric and they stated yes.. Which was one of the reasons I went with the wheels

After my 1st revisit, I sent links for the possible purchase of the rings but they stated the Beyern Fives are hub centric..

I think this is the problem because they can balance it and rides like glass till it sits a little bit. Basically getting out of alignment?

These are brand new Beyern Fives and I still have the stock basket weaves. I did not have the shimmy before so I think I will have to pull these off this weekend and check the measurements on the hubs, etc...

very frustrating

thanks again guys for the help...

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by humanite
    3. Speed Balancing: Only use a shop with this machine http://www.gsp9700.com/
    If they are a serious tire and rim shop they will use the Hunter GSP9700.
    Dan aka Humanite
    Yes they used this first then did the high speed balance on the car..

Are you saying that you went to a taller tire and the shimmy stopped?

thanks...

My Cars
    850ci

My car has started this also!

my car has this also. here is my situation. i have a 1996 740il and i have 4 different sets of wheels. my stock weaves. 19 inch m par. , 18 inch m par. and finally 19 inch type 95's . i have tired all different wheels. and even got some rebalanced. i get the shake at 40 - 55 mph. but it only shakes a little bit when accelerating. but shakes a lot when slowing down. but if i brake hard it doesn't shake as much . its not my brakes. i just changed rotors and pads. i had my brother drive next to me and take a look as driving at 50 slowing down. it feels like it was coming from the front right wheel. he said if noticed a slight shake in the wheel. is it the strut? or what. thats what i came out to. sorry im im class right now on my phone. please excuse my errors if any. thanks for any help. and i hope this am help all of us come to a conclusion.

My Cars
    own
    Quote Originally Posted by SE7EN40RTY
    my car has this also. here is my situation. i have a 1996 740il and i have 4 different sets of wheels. my stock weaves. 19 inch m par. , 18 inch m par. and finally 19 inch type 95's . i have tired all different wheels. and even got some rebalanced. i get the shake at 40 - 55 mph. but it only shakes a little bit when accelerating. but shakes a lot when slowing down. but if i brake hard it doesn't shake as much . its not my brakes. i just changed rotors and pads. i had my brother drive next to me and take a look as driving at 50 slowing down. it feels like it was coming from the front right wheel. he said if noticed a slight shake in the wheel. is it the strut? or what. thats what i came out to. sorry im im class right now on my phone. please excuse my errors if any. thanks for any help. and i hope this am help all of us come to a conclusion.
    Since you have tried all three wheels and are getting the same problem assuming your wheels are not bend you need these:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-B...spagenameZWDVW

John

My Cars
    1997 740IL
    could someone please tell me exactly how to measure my rims? I have these rims: http://superbuytires.com/wheels/model/KMC/Dime/ in the 20x8.5 size. I ordered them at American Tires and the said they fit my car. How do I measure them to make sure they are the correct size?? Thanks in advance

My Cars
    1997 740IL
    also, i do not gave hub centric rings. Are they always needed? Would they be needed on the rims i gave a link to above?

My Cars
    2001 330i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by johngoga
    Since you have tried all three wheels and are getting the same problem assuming your wheels are not bend you need these:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-B...spagenameZWDVW

John
    I like this reply as I have the same issue. I am using the stock wheels for the 94 740il, and get a very slight shimmy from around 45-55, but nowhere near as bad as mentioned by some of the other posts. However, I have yet to see if the wheels are balanced, but I would imagine I need something similar if they are balanced and still shaking...?

My Cars
    1997 740IL
    i just took my car on a 100 MPH run. It seems the shimmy is present between about 55-75. The amount of shimmy is the same throughout this speed area. What should I ask my tire placde when I go in there tommorrow?? Could my tires possibly have defects in them?

My Cars
    BMW 740i
    how does 1 know what size hub ring to buy?

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

I have Hartge Nova 7 20" staggered

Thanks