Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mechtech turbo kit

Mechtech turbo kit

Does anyone have the mechtech turbo kit? If so, what is your opinion of it. Thanks

My Cars
    Lots
    Your profile doesn't have your location in it. Please update it. That will influence things a bit.

Just did, thanks

My Cars
    Lots
    Ok. I have the Mechtech turbo. You can click on the link to my website below and look around. I get a ton of questions about this kit and am trying to limit them. So please read teh webpage carefully, call Mechtech during the week and speak to the owner, Jim McFarland, and think about it. The kit takes some tuning. Even in a low boost configuration. Mechtech charges $1000 to install and tune the kit. A good deal in my mind considering the hours of dyno time you get while they set everything to get the right A/F (air/fuel) ratios. If you were going to install it yourself, I'd advise against it. In your case, in Texas, I'd either take a vacation in San Diego (Mechtech is 30 miles north of SD in Escondido, and have them install it or get a Dinan SC.

Forced induction has a fair amount of fiddle factor involved. It is no where near the same as a bolt on exhaust.

My Cars
    1996 M3 lux, 1988 325
    Jim, where is the link?
    == Stable mates ==
    -1996 M3 Lux, bright red (hellrot), Modena interior. Aus Freude Am Fahren!

-1988 325, Alpenweiss. The commuter.
    BMW HOWTOs

My Cars
    Bernmobile

My Cars
    1970 Cadillac DeVille
    Jim,

After installed and set up, have you had to mess w/it? Is it the sort of thing that you have to tinker with constantly?

tia
    In the slow lane

Also what fuel and ignition upgrades are necessary for the 7 psi kit? Did you have the same problems with the 7psi kit as the 11?

My Cars
    BMW 530i
    At yesterday's dromo one meet a guy pulled in the parking lot w. a M3 w/ a Mechtech turbo kit...

i dunno the specs of it, but all i knew was that he was running 11 psi....

Anyone else that was @ dromo one that talked to him please give more detail.
    Richard

My Cars
    2006 E55 AMG
    He didnt have a mechtech kit. He had a mechtech gauge, but that was it. It was some company I never heard of. Vatn or something like that. No offence, but it looked like something out of a JC Whintey catalog.

RENNtech 168mm Pulley and Tune | VRP Carbon Fiber Airbox | JP Shorty Headers | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | RENNtech Digital Lowering Module | 19" HRE 547R
    459 RWHP, 522 RWT

My Cars
    Lots
    Above 7 psi, changes in the fuel tuning are recommended. I'd go with larger injectors too.

Its possible the guy had a variable vane setup. As to it being JC Whitney.... I'd say no. But its possible to install anything and screw it up. I've got 18,000 miles on mine. Mostly track miles as I use the car only for the track and trailer it to and from.

That's a lot of miles for a track car with forced induction. It still runs great but likes lots of octane at high boost. I can set mine at 7 or 11 with a switch inside the car. I usually use 7 around town.

But forced induction isn't something to choose over email. Go talk to people. If you aren't the kind of guy who wants to spend time and money getting it right, I'd suggest skipping the extra 50 HP and getting the Dinan SC. Dinan cars are noticeably slower than my car, but they aren't as touchy either. And they are still plenty fast enough.

So if I was to purchase the mechtech 7 psi kit, I would not have to upgrade the ignition or injectors? Also, does mechtech supply you with software? And if you were to upgrade injectors, do they work with the stock software. Thanks for all of your help. I will be receiving my mechtech kit in a matter of days.

My Cars
    Lots
    Mechtech will do your software. Inreality it will get Fedex'd to Active Autowerke. The main thing is to turn VANOS off. The last thing you want with a turbo or SC is timing advance. IF you have a Conforti or Dinan chip TAKE IT OUT!

Both of them advance ting above stock as RPMs build. You really want timing retardation as boost builds. To the tune of 1 degree of retardation for every pound of boost. On a lower boost car you can get by with turning VANOS off.

You must make up your mind what you want to do before you put the kit in. If you want larger injectors, say so now. The car will run at 7 psi with stock injectors PROBABLY. But it's on the edge.

You need to know what to do with software and all the rest before you start. I always advise people to save their nickles and do it all at once. In the end it's cheaper that way. Its also why I almost always tell people to get the Dinan. All the thinking and potential mistakes are worked out for you. But it comes at a price $$$.

In any case, larger injectors will not work with the stock s/w. You have to either reprogram the DME or buy something like a split second or its equivalent from HKS etc.

I strongly suggest tuning the thing on a dyno with a Horiba A/F analyzer before you go nailing it around town. I have about 50 dyno runs on mine and I still have a few things I'd like to fiddle with. Nothing that will hurt the car, but I'm leaving performance on the table.

My Cars
    95 LS1 M3

Thumbs up I LOVE THE KIT

I HAD THE KIT FOR A WHILE NOW AND I LOVE IT, THE CAR HAS TONS OF MORE TORQUE AND MORE HORSEPOWER THAN MOST TURBO KITS, I JUST TOOK MY CAR BACK TO GO STAGE TWO... THAT CONSITED OF BIGGER INJECTORS AND A SUPER AFR(AIR/ FEUL REGULATOR. BUT THATS NOT THE BEST PART... mECHTECH TURBOS ARE ADVERTISED TO 50 STATE EMISSIONS LEGAL!!!
    Race/Street Wheel stud conversion kits and spacers --->www.MotorsportHardware.com
    95 M3 7.1L LSX

Dayamn...i wish my kit was emissions legal.

Sweet car, KaliBoy~!!
    Shingo

93 E36 325is
    2.8 liter w/ Active Autowerke Stg 2 turbo
    -12.86@109mph on the 1/4 w/ stg 1 turbo and 2.5 liter

2001 X5 3.0

http://www.turbobmw.com

My Cars
    97 M3
    hey kaliboy, do you know a guy named brian? i don't know his last name but he drives a 300zx with some mods.....he's flip and he lives in carson? i think he told me about your car, he sai dhe's in team flux.
    97 M3/2

My Cars
    M3R6

Question To everyone that has the MechTech Turbo....

Do you guys turbo time your car?!?!?!....cuz if you are it's a waste of time....no oil is circulating through the turbo so you don't need to turbo time it.

Alan
    1995 BMW ///M3 - current
    2001 Yamaha R6 CLE #74 - Wrecked due to CAGERS!
    1993 Honda CBR F2 600 - Project bike - SOLD!
    2004 - Honda CBR 1000rr - current

My Cars
    95 LS1 M3
    I dont need to turbo time my car, I can treat it like stock. My turbo has no water or oil lines its an aerodyne t04 sized turbo, that is self-contained.

TURBOBMW3- thanks for the comp... I have read about your car on your web page...MUCH PROPS!!! I was hoping to see you at the the wheel power meet, but i cant go, daymn. maybe sometime we can meet!

mrclam- Yeah i know brian, he's pretty cool, do you kick it with him? Swing by maxgraphics, Im always there since my car is always there. I want to meet more people that are willing to fix up thier beemers
    Race/Street Wheel stud conversion kits and spacers --->www.MotorsportHardware.com
    95 M3 7.1L LSX

My Cars
    95 LS1 M3
    hey shingo, I just took my car to go stage two turbo...bigger injectors and a super afr. i get it back tommorow!! im excited. Im sure your car is too much fun!!! My body kit keeps me from too much speed. But i plan to take it to willow springs soon to see what it can do.
    95 M3 7.1L LSX

My Cars
    None
    Kaliboy,

How's it going? Just curious but how much horsepower and torque will you be making now with a MechTech stage 2?

Also, who's holding the event at willow springs int. raceway? My hometown is Glendale so I go to Willow and Buttonwillow whenever I can.

I found out that if you have a turbocharged BMW and wanted to do some high performance driving events by BMW CCA, they wont let you unless you have some sort of roll cage full or half!?!?!

I use to be a member with the Touring Car Club Road Racing Assoication Club but will sign back up with them when I move back to Cali.

Can't wait to see you haul ass at the track!!!

>>>>>Dayamn...i wish my kit was emissions legal. <<<<

lol,, i love living in Florida,,,,,, we don't need no stinkin emissions....lol

just bolt it on and go!!!! and go!!, and go, you get the picture.
    i keep going back for more....
    boost is very addictive!!! i think i want to do the water to air intercooler next so i can put ice water or dry ice with acetone in for race day.... can you say "Supercool"? i am also intrigued by the a/c compressor intercooler that runs all the time to make it like permanent winter driving, that would be freakin awesome, especially in Florida!!
    Tommy aka TampaTurboM3
    95 AA turbo M3
    11.679 @ 118.79 1/4 mile 11/20/2004
    Daily Driven, Stock Looking

Kaliboy,
    Awesome~!! Stage 2 huh?
    Did you get your car back yet? You gotta give me a ride in your car... that thing must haul~!!! I have said it before and i will say it again...youre car is AWESOME.
    Are you located around here in Orange? Cause we were thinking of going out to lunch during the week. (Jonathan, Zel, Richard, and myself and hopefully Charles if he gets his car back soon) . Take care and again congrats on your new stage 2 turbo!

Tommy,
    you guys have it sooooo good out there in florida... no worries for emmisions and plus Active is right around your corner...so to speak...
    Shingo

93 E36 325is

2001 X5 3.0

My Cars
    95 LS1 M3
    shingo,
    I will be getting my car back tommorow and i will have to put back my rims and adjust my coilovers. but tell me when you guys are going to lunch because so far my week is pretty much open, besides a new scheme that i will be doing for up coming shows. Thanks alot though.
    when i get my car back, I will be getting a new dyno sheet so i will post it asap. I live in Long Beach by the way... so lets kick it!!

Much props to all turbo BMWS!!:

My name is Ryan, by the way.
    95 M3 7.1L LSX

My Cars
    2006 E55 AMG
    yeah yeah, I wanna go to lunch too!!!! I'll have my car back tomoroww (tuesday) late, so anytime wednesday or after. I work right off the 55 at dyer, so Im close to all freeways!!!!!

RENNtech 168mm Pulley and Tune | VRP Carbon Fiber Airbox | JP Shorty Headers | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | RENNtech Digital Lowering Module | 19" HRE 547R
    459 RWHP, 522 RWT

Charles and Ryan,
    Congratulations on getting your car back tomorrow (tue) i bet you will not be able to sleep tonite. hehehe

Anyhow...how does lunch on friday sound guys?

Take care and have fun with your new found power...but drive safe.

Shingo
    Shingo

93 E36 325is

2001 X5 3.0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast