Thread: damn...strange whining sound, plz help

My Cars
    1995 M3/Caddy STS

damn...strange whining sound, plz help

this morning on the way to work I had to brake hard coming up to a light (this is right after a full out quarter mile dash). the problem is that ever since that there's been a strange whining noise that I can not only hear around 2000 rpms but I can feel it in my steering wheel. It's a full deep sounding whine, that's the only way I can think of to describe it...the same whine that happens if you slow down and let the clutch out in first gear. Any ideas of what this might be and why a quick stop might have caused it? Thanks! (the engine sounds fine so I'm thinking something to do with clutch/flywheel//etc....and as far as I can tell you can't really hear the sound outside of the car...haven't checked it out much yet but you can definitely hear/feel it inside)
    The Michael Gavin Band <BR>
    <a href="www.themichaelgavinband.com">www.themichaelg avinband.com</a>

My Cars
    97 silver 328is
    maybe the calipers are stuck? does the car pull in any direction?

or

check under the hood for any loose hoses. this happened once in my gti. i had to brake real hard and the intake hose somehow came loose.
    "The koalas are so hungry they are eating pine needles," "What will tourists think of a habitat of denuded trees with desperate, starving koalas roaming the damaged landscape?"

My Cars
    1995 M3/Caddy STS
    no, it's not calipers, the sound follows the engines rpm and is loudest around 2k rpm

My Cars
    97 silver 328is
    is there any noticeable power loss or any other strange things besides the noise?
    "The koalas are so hungry they are eating pine needles," "What will tourists think of a habitat of denuded trees with desperate, starving koalas roaming the damaged landscape?"

My Cars
    1995 M3/Caddy STS
    nope, engine sounds fine, power is the same. The noise is the same whether the clutch is in or out, or in gear or neutral. I actually just went out to my car to show my friend the noise and it seems like it's gotten a bit quieter now too....not sure if that makes me feel better or not.

My Cars
    1996 M3/2
    Try removing the oil cap while the car is running and making the sound. If it immediately goes away, it's probably the rear main engine seal.
    1996 Alpine White M3/2
    AA S/C---Gone, but not forgotten!
    H&R Race, Bilsteins, B&B Triflo, Porterfield R4S, Denso IK-22, Powerflex RTAB's

My Cars
    1995 Avus M3
    bump because I have this exact problem //Maesto had 3 years ago.. suggestions?

edit: except for the braking part.. though i suppose a previous owner could have done it, i just got the car a month ago

My Cars
    97 M3, 08 Odyssey
    Checked your power steering fluid level lately? Low PS fluid can cause quite a groan at lower RPMs, especially after heavy braking, and is accompanied by weird feeling in the steering wheel...
    97 M3 - Estoril Blue 5spd Coupe
    Sound: 60GB Video iPod into Nakamichi CD-400, CDT Audio HD-642, RE Audio SE10, Phoenix Gold Xenon 600.1 and 200.2
    Handling: Koni SA, Eibach Pro-Kit, front strut bar, 245/35/18 Yokohama S.drive on RO_JA Formula 7, Rogue RSMs, GC RTAB shims
    Performance: Akebono Euro Ceramic pads, Zimmermann x-drilled rotors, DIY K&N CAI, ASC delete, Understeer SSK, UUC TMEs + clutch stop
    Appearance: OEM clears, rear lip spoiler

My Cars
    Retired
    Mine is making the EXACT same noise, im also thinking its a power steering problem. Im gonna go get the fluid checked out tomorrow asap.

My Cars
    1995 Avus M3
    guess i'll look @ the fluid tomorrow, the dealer supposedly filled all fluids before selling to me, i guess we'll see. I had ruled out power steering in my head because the whine does not occur when the car is stationary + i move the wheel. who knows though, i'll post my findings.

My Cars
    97 M3, 08 Odyssey
    Quote Originally Posted by g60roddo
    guess i'll look @ the fluid tomorrow, the dealer supposedly filled all fluids before selling to me, i guess we'll see. I had ruled out power steering in my head because the whine does not occur when the car is stationary + i move the wheel. who knows though, i'll post my findings.
    FWIW ... my car has a leaky high pressure PS hose (need to fix that one of these days), and when the fluid gets low, I only notice the noise and weird steering feel after hard braking.
    97 M3 - Estoril Blue 5spd Coupe
    Sound: 60GB Video iPod into Nakamichi CD-400, CDT Audio HD-642, RE Audio SE10, Phoenix Gold Xenon 600.1 and 200.2
    Handling: Koni SA, Eibach Pro-Kit, front strut bar, 245/35/18 Yokohama S.drive on RO_JA Formula 7, Rogue RSMs, GC RTAB shims
    Performance: Akebono Euro Ceramic pads, Zimmermann x-drilled rotors, DIY K&N CAI, ASC delete, Understeer SSK, UUC TMEs + clutch stop
    Appearance: OEM clears, rear lip spoiler

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I had the same problem about a week or two ago.
    It ended up being low power steering fluid.

Just add some Dexron III ATF(automatic fluid) in the power steering and you should be good.

My Cars
    04 SilberGrau M3
    most likely p/s, I have this problem too but i need a new pump- regardless of fluid type or level, the noise will not go away

My Cars
    1995 M3, 01 F350 7.3
    I have a weird sound, Ive had it for about a year and still cant figure out WTF it is. Its most noticable at 20 mph. Its not engine related because I rolled the car down a hill with it in neutral and the sound is still there. The best way I can decribe my sound is really pronouced tire noise.
    "I didn't think there was much risk involved in the moves," he said. "I am a full-blooded racer, that's why I'm here. Do they think I came here just for a Sunday afternoon outing?" - Michael Schumacher.

My Cars
    '01 MCoupe '02 M3C/6
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCMPOWER
    I have a weird sound, Ive had it for about a year and still cant figure out WTF it is. Its most noticable at 20 mph. Its not engine related because I rolled the car down a hill with it in neutral and the sound is still there. The best way I can decribe my sound is really pronouced tire noise.
    I'm pretty sure it's those cobblestones you show in your sig that you're driving on. They make a heck of a whine noise.

Actually - I'd be looking at:

1. Tires - some of them get real loud as they get older
    2. Wheel bearings
    Don Eilenberger
    '01 M-Coupe, '03 525iaT, '07 R1200R
    '06 Porsche Cayenne S - Titanium Edition (Iceland silver/Titanium

My Cars
    Estoril Blue M3 99 Sold, 96 Chevy, G35 Coupe
    I have a similar problem when ever my car is in a gear and rolling to a stop around 5-20 mph I here this buzzing noise and a vibration in the steering wheel. As soon as I put it into neutral it goes away. As soon as I put the car into 1st gear to move again the same buzzing and vibration in the steering wheel reappears.