Thread: Feedback on those lightweight battery that save 25-35 lbs

My Cars
    95 M3 LTW-R, et al

Feedback on those lightweight battery that save 25-35 lbs

Hi,

I am looking for feedback from anyone who has done either one of the lightweight Odyssey batteries. I really like the idea of dropping about 30lbs. I just dropped 25 lbs with my Borla install. Plus I could take out the spare...that could be a combined 100+lbs reduction! Think LTW Replica project!

Just concerned about how long they last and how long they hold a charge if I have nowhere to plug my trickle charger in (like on a long distance trip).

-Eff

"This is the best thread ever!! This was my first time looking at it and it was like watching a movie. Eff, your car is an absolute masterpiece!" -E36Cruisin, on the shameless LTW thread

My Cars
    95 M3, 88 M3, 04 ZHP
    I'm interested to know as well. By the way don't take out your spare tire. Its important to have just incase you get rear ended.

1988 E30 M3-Garage Queen
    1995 E36 M3-Track Car
    2004 330i ZHP- Daily Driver
    ///M3 Cc #1
    "Gotta Pay to Play"
    $In Debt Racing$

My Cars
    95 M3 LTW-R, et al
    Regarding the spare, I believe that's more or less a Bimmer myth. Any accident that would require the spare to function as support is pretty much gonna eff the car/frame anyway.

-Eff

"This is the best thread ever!! This was my first time looking at it and it was like watching a movie. Eff, your car is an absolute masterpiece!" -E36Cruisin, on the shameless LTW thread

My Cars
    95 M3 LTW-R, et al
    Can anyone find a place that beats this price:

www.batterystore.com
    PC680MJT is <$112
    UPS Ground is <$13 for 16lbs
    $125 shipped

-Eff

My Cars
    02 C5 Z06, 98 M3, 03 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by Effervescent
    Plus I could take out the spare...
    Prolly just wanna do this when racing... if you're gonna be doing that... Most likely the only place you might notice the weight reduction...
    --Jason

My Cars
    02 C5 Z06, 98 M3, 03 X5
    Very nice looking car, BTW. Got any more pics?
    --Jason

My Cars
    95 M3 LTW-R, et al
    IMHO a 100lbs reduction (Borla's 25lbs, battery's 35lbs, and spare's 40lbs) would be noticed zipping through the gears.

It's kinda like having a 5' 2" female passenger step outta the trunk, no?

Pics: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ight=shameless

-Eff
    Last edited by Effervescent; 10-09-2005 at 09:54 AM.

My Cars
    02 C5 Z06, 98 M3, 03 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by Effervescent
    Nice pics! Even though it's a "replica", I'll always love the white 95's with motorsport flag!
    --Jason

My Cars
    97' M3 Coupe
    How much do these batteries go for?

My Cars
    991.1 / 958.2
    Do not do it unless you can always keep it on a trickle charger. I have one and it will not support more than a few starts before it is dead. Also depending on how many accessories you have it will not last very long if the engine is not running.

My Cars
    '98 M3/4,'08 E90M3
    Quote Originally Posted by ss109
    Do not do it unless you can always keep it on a trickle charger. I have one and it will not support more than a few starts before it is dead. Also depending on how many accessories you have it will not last very long if the engine is not running.
    What kind of lightweight battery do you have? When I used to have a Dyna-Batt, this was absolutely true. If I left the car for more than a few days, the battery would lose enough charge to not start the car. Every start was pretty weak as well, even if the battery was charged. Now that I have a PC680, things are much, much better. The car starts as normal and the battery will easily last a few days without any problems. I've never left the car for more than two or three days without driving it at least for a few miles, so I can't comment on what the ultimate storage life is.

I got my PC680 from http://www.gotbatteries.com. You will also have to get a set of the SAE screw-in terminals. The battery is ~$77 and the terminals are ~$11. No need to get the PC680MJ - the only difference is that the MJ comes with a metal jacket that is unnecessary.

http://www.gotbatteries.com/items.as...SL105/37L105S5

You will have to either fabricate a custom bracket for the battery or buy one. I have the Russ Wiles battery box that I bought from Bimmerhaus, which is a bit pricey but extremely well designed. It allows you to securely mount the PC680 with the stock battery clamp.

Dave

My Cars
    95 M3 LTW-R, et al
    Quote Originally Posted by fishforlife
    scratch that last post...i clicked your link for your car pictures and read you have staggered ltw rims. maybe some fyi for others to see than
    Actually, I bet my ltw rims are just 2-3 lbs lighter. What did you have Contours?

-Eff

My Cars
    95 M3 LTW-R, et al
    Quote Originally Posted by dngo
    You will have to either fabricate a custom bracket for the battery or buy one. I have the Russ Wiles battery box that I bought from Bimmerhaus, which is a bit pricey but extremely well designed. It allows you to securely mount the PC680 with the stock battery clamp.

Dave
    $30
    http://www.gotbatteries.com/ImagePop...A/30Z680A1.jpg

$11

-Eff

My Cars
    95 M3 sc'd
    BUMP. Does anybody have experience running the Odyssey battery with a multiple-amp Stereo system? Thoughts and recommendation? Hit/Skip? Other alternatives?

E36 M3 3.3l RMS supercharged
    B15 SE-R Spec V

My Cars
    87 325is
    The capacity of a battery is roughly proportional to its weight. A lightweight battery is going to have less capacity than a standard battery and they can't provide as much starting current. It makes sense to use a lightweight on a race or track car for performance, but doing so on a street car will incur the need to supplement the battery if the car will sit idle for much more than a day. And if the car is in a colder climate there may be starting problems during the winter.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Figure on no problems in non winter areas with the 680 and no extra accessories, but the reserve capacity should something go wrong will be less than 10 minutes. The next two levels up offer more capacity with still a weight savings over stock. But even the 1200 has only a 50 minute reserve, about 2/3 that of a standard battery.

I have had two Odyssey batteries. They are now expensive paperweights. Both failed and are out of warranty. I am no longer fan of fancy batteries. I had an Optima redtop before than and it did no better than the stock battery it replaced and lasted only about 2 years.

My vote goes for auto parts store batteries. Buy them cheap and replace them every couple of years. Get a smaller one if you want to save weight. Don't go too small if you drive in the winter.

Philip Bradley

My Cars
    89 325ix, 85 eta
    it is also important not to fully discharge a battery that is not designed to do so or you will reduce the capacity.
    Hold on let me get my laptop and read this on the toilet.
    --DrDub