Thread: Considering buying an e46 M3. Have some questions.

My Cars
    02 M3

Considering buying an e46 M3. Have some questions.

Well, Im def considering buying one. I really love my e36 but I want something newer. Just have a couple questions that maybe you guys can help me out with.

1) I heard that the earlier models had some engine problems. Which years and what probems did they have?

2) Does BMW fix those problems for free as in a recall?

3) How can I check if the problems were fixed?

4) How reliable is the e46 M3 motor. Is there alot of maintnance cost associated with it?

5) What is the cheapest (money wise not quality wise) S/C available for it, new or used?

My Cars
    C6 Z06, F250 Harley
    1: yes
    2:yes
    3: dealer will check using the vin
    4: very and you have 4/50,000 on maintenance
    5: VF-engineering is dropping a kit for 8000 if I am correct or AAtuning.com is like 9500

My Cars
    02 M3
    wow, i guess the e46 section of this board is dead. I only have one response. I guess I should make an account with e46fanatics. I mostly want to know the answer to question 1

My Cars
    BMW/Jeep
    You could try the SEARCH option.

My Cars
    Triumph Daytona 675
    I think the only realy problem thye had with the motors were in the 01 models. They fixed it after that im pretty sure...

My Cars
    99 M3, 90 535iA, 89 325is
    IIRC, there is a 100K mile warranty on the engine due to the problems. Not sure of length of the "extended" engine warranty.

Did you ever get your alignment fixed?
    bmwpower / bmwcca 147895 / 05 X5 / 99 M3 / 90 535i / 89 325is track project

My Cars
    C6 Z06, F250 Harley
    Oh my bad its 01-03. They had two problems the lower connecting rod the bolts are no good. And then the lower bearings. BMW will fix them free of charge and I actually got a free engine out of it because mine began to tick.

My Cars
    02 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by bren
    You could try the SEARCH option.
    yes i know about the search option and I use it quite frequently, but in this case I thought it would have been much easier to just start a thread which I would get direct answers from rather then search for answers that would not completely answer my questions. Thanks though.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwpower
    IIRC, there is a 100K mile warranty on the engine due to the problems. Not sure of length of the "extended" engine warranty.

Did you ever get your alignment fixed?
    So you mean that if I buy it from a private party, the warranty transfers. I never had a car with a warranty so im not sure how it works. What if the car is a rebuilt title? Am I correct to asume that if a 01-02 car has more than 20k miles then the engine problems have already been fixed.

I never got another alignment after I went to Carlsons. After that I just flipped my 2 back tires around and it drove straight, but on WOT it would now pull to the right. I think its a defective tire.

Quote Originally Posted by egyptntree
    Oh my bad its 01-03. They had two problems the lower connecting rod the bolts are no good. And then the lower bearings. BMW will fix them free of charge and I actually got a free engine out of it because mine began to tick.
    I actually called BMW stealership yesterday and the service guy only told me that thee is only one recall. only for rod bearings. Is the connecting rod bolts problem only vin specific problem?

My Cars
    S2k
    here you go:
    http://www.momentumbmw.net/Certified-Program.aspx

I am in the same boat as you, except this will be my first bimmer. The one I am looking at is a '01. Here is my thread:
    http://bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=424781

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Quote Originally Posted by UA///M3
    Well, Im def considering buying one. I really love my e36 but I want something newer. Just have a couple questions that maybe you guys can help me out with.

1) I heard that the earlier models had some engine problems. Which years and what probems did they have?

2) Does BMW fix those problems for free as in a recall?

3) How can I check if the problems were fixed?

4) How reliable is the e46 M3 motor. Is there alot of maintnance cost associated with it?

5) What is the cheapest (money wise not quality wise) S/C available for it, new or used?
    1. Cars made late '01 and '02 were prone to problems but recalls fixed that issue.

2. Yes

3. They check by VIN number and sticker in the driver's door jam.

4. It's very reliable (at least for me)... maintainence costs are very high tho. $100 oil changes every 7k miles, $1200 inspections every 14-15k, $1450 inspection IIs every 30k

5. www.aatuning.com
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?