Thread: Looking for a fun daily driver... 325e? 325i? 325is? 318i?

My Cars
    E39 540i6!

Looking for a fun daily driver... 325e? 325i? 325is? 318i?

I'm looking for a daily driver. Right now I'm looking for something classy but fun to drive. I work in alot of nice neighborhoods and don't want to appear as some young kid in a wannabe race car (I'm 23). I'm thinking of either a MKII Jetta or an E30 and I'd REALLY like the E30. I've got up to $4k to spend but I'd really like to spend less. Above all, I need it to be reliable. I think tastefully modded E30's look amazing and I've heard awesome things about them.

So I have a few questions.

1) Which model E30 would you guys recommend? The 325is seems to be the obvious choice but they're getting harder to find and they sell for $3k-$4k even with high miles (near 200k). Would I be better off purchasing a 325i and modding it? would it be cheaper and/or better than purchasing a 325is?

2) What're the differences in MPG between the different models?

3) How many miles are too many? How much life do these cars have in them? I see alot of them with high miles but I'm scared I'm going to be making alot of costly repairs if I purchase one, even if it's seemingly in good condition. There's a 325is here for $3500 with 197k on it, that seems nuts to me but maybe it's normal?

Any other input you guys have would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

My Cars
    E30
    325i

If you mod your suspension the first thing you do is throw out the "is" crap you paid extra for.

My Cars
    1989 E30 325is
    EXCEPT you DO still have the 3.73 Limited Slip rear end, the 14X6.5 BBS basketweave wheels, the Recaro-ish leather sport seats, the on-board computer, the sun roof, and the Mtech steering wheel that are ALL standard on the 325iS. Let's represent information honestly here. The iS is a great car: I regularly get 25.5-28.5 MPG in my 5 speed 88 325iS, it handles great even stock, and it's comfortable. That's what I'd get instead of the slower E30 models you also mentioned. Take the time to find a well-cared for one (BMWCCA.org classifieds, here, E30tech.com, RoadFly, R3vlimited.com). You could visit or call independent BMW shops and ask them if they've got any leads. There's LOTS of E30 enthusiasts that like to turn newcomers on to great E30s.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHarry
    325i

If you mod your suspension the first thing you do is throw out the "is" crap you paid extra for.

My Cars
    porsche 911 *sold*
    i personally think as daily drivers go go for a 325e- tourqey car when chipped and great gas mileage. but if u want a daily car that handles well and can be tracked -318is- light, fast, beautiful
    FOR SALE - 14900/ will trade for e36 m3/ 325/8 for e39 540i

My Cars
    '04 Volvo V70R, '76 912E
    Quote Originally Posted by theelsman11
    but if u want a daily car that handles well and can be tracked -318is- light, fast, beautiful
    QFT. The M42 is one of the most reliable and economical engines ever produced by BMW. I love mine.
    '76 912E -- '90 Miata

My Cars
    CitysStreetsBMW
    sound slike your looking for an accord.i dont know about the fun part tho.
    this fits what your looking for your not gonna belive me but it does.a 1st gen infiniti g20.buy one and you wil understand.