Thread: How much oil do I need to put in strut housing?

My Cars
    1990 535i., 1995 Miata

How much oil do I need to put in strut housing?

I was reading some strut install sites. One site said "a few ml of oil inside the housing to cool the insert" and the other said "20 or 30 cc's". Does anyone have definitive answer on this. I'm in the middle of an install and will need to do this by Thursday. Thanks!

My Cars
    F15, F31
    WTF? it must have been some Ford pick up truck DIY sites
    2015 F15 xDrive35i M-Sport, Mineral weiss on mokka Design Pure Excellence
    2015 F31 328i M-Sport, Mineral grau on black
    REFERENCES (from buying members): ///MM\\\, Dan, nicholsonsl, nicholsonsl, babygirl, e36Silvr328i, hc1001, tommelton, mish, diffsonline, betet, DMasters,icemann633, docjavier, Iron Chef, Dan, M3Jokster, e39dream, ///Manny, killcrap, verdugo135, TheRide, 318qship, hbmike, TimeOut, z0lt3c, MechEngr, Vortec4800, asdfbunk, brandon5069, hoyabob2003 (e39 mdf 6.5 speaker panels)
    SOLD! 97 E39 528iA, Alpine white on black, H&R, Hella, Alpine 9855 run active 3-way, 7" Dayton RS woofers, LPG 25NFA tweeters, Alpine typeR 12" 2005ed sub, ED NINe.1 sub amp, ED NINe.4 comp bi-amp, box 2.5cu.ft tuned to 30Hz CLICK HERE

My Cars
    1990 535i., 1995 Miata
    I read it on two very good sites actually. If you have no useful comments, don't waste my time.

"Some strut inserts call for pouring about 20 or 30cc of motor oil down the strut tube for heat transfer. Bilstein's go in dry so I suctioned as much of the existing oil out of the tube & sopped up the rest with a rag on the end of a wire. It doesn't have to be bone dry, just try to get most of it."

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_27.htm
    Last edited by Laguner; 10-04-2005 at 09:15 PM.

My Cars
    05 M3 ZCP, 11 335d
    Quote Originally Posted by PENER
    WTF? it must have been some Ford pick up truck DIY sites

Mine had oil in it from stock...

~AIM- liquidtiger720 ~ Josh M. ~www.jmscribble.com

My Cars
    potato
    nice write-up, I liked the "poor-man's spring compressors". Oh to have access to a welder...

My Cars
    E30&E90 M3 & E46 Touring
    When a spring is compressed it has energy that wants to be released so it will spring back. The Damper or shock will stop the spring from springing back or oscillating by turning that energy from the spring into heat. In other words, the damper gets hot. So the oil acts as a transfer material from the housing of the damper to the strut housing itself taking away heat from the damper and allowing it to perform more consistant. Anyways...

If you are putting bilstein sports in, the valving is in the top of the strut and you do not need to put oil in the housing. If you putting OEM shocks in then you do need to put oil in the housing.

Put some oil in the housing and slide the damper down in. Any excess oil will spill out the top as you slide it down in. Once that happens, pull the damper out and wipe it off and wipe any oil off that spilled over. Then put the damper back down in the strut and this will be sufficient. When you install the strut nut back, make sure the threads are clean of the over spilled oil and put a SMALL drop of loctite blue on there to ensure the nut will not come loose.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Tourenwagen; 10-05-2005 at 08:50 AM.