Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: whats the best street tire for handling? (d/w)

taseal is offline Member Secret Santa Deadbeat
    My Cars
    '08 4x2 Patriot

whats the best street tire for handling? (d/w)

Just curious as to which tire I should get for the back as mine are wearing out.... the wheels i got are 18x7.5 so i'd prefer the biggest without getting the bubbly effect (235? 245?)

right now the back tires are nitto 555s but they're balding, and I just got the car so i dunno how good they are, but hard corners i loose the rear but i recover quick....

so what would u reccomend?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ianbiz View Post
    I <3 j00 cause your threads are win.

My Cars
    98 M3/4
    for a 7.5" wheel, a 235 is probably as big as you should go.

My Cars
    '08 4x2 Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by black_box
    for a 7.5" wheel, a 235 is probably as big as you should go.
    well what tire?

My Cars
    G37xS, Taco, GSXR1K
    I'd say the new falken RT-615 tires are..........

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...%2FPerformance

-Brian-
    ///M, The Most Powerful Letter In The World

My Cars
    98 M3/4
    how much do you want to spend? I think people overheat those falkens when pushing them hard at an autocross. I'm curious how they do on the street or even after being on the expressway a while in the heat (OP is in florida). However, they have excellent dry grip and a stiff sidewall, so they're popular for autocross. My next tire will probably be the yokohama advan neova AD07. Tirerack testing with their BMW 330 cars showed some impressive numbers, especially in the wet. They are pricey though.

Pilot sport PS2 and the goodyear F1 GS D3 tires also have good ratings for max performance.
    Last edited by black_box; 10-05-2005 at 01:15 PM.

My Cars
    BMW E60 M5
    how much do you want to spend? I think people overheat those falkens when pushing them hard at an autocross. I'm curious how they do on the street or even after being on the expressway a while in the heat (OP is in florida). However, they have excellent dry grip and a stiff sidewall, so they're popular for autocross. My next tire will probably be the yokohama advan neova AD07. Tirerack testing with their BMW 330 cars showed some impressive numbers, especially in the wet. They are pricey though.

Pilot sport PS2 and the goodyear F1 GS D3 tires that have good ratings for max performance.
    Agree - check out the tirerack website for the owners ratings. That's your best way to find the best tire for your driving style.
    2006 E60 M5 delivered to Cincinnati 10/20 on the first shipment to the US. Silverstone II/Silverstone/Aluminum. Full Leather, Perforated, Ventilated, Multifunction Seats with Active Seat Width Adjustment, Comfort Access, Rear Electric Sunshade, Fold Down Rear Seats, Heated Rear Seats, Rear Side Airbags, Satellite Radio, Integrated Phone, Head-up Display, Rear Spoiler, 20" BBS RS-GT's with Michelin PS2's, Blizzak LM 22's on OEM wheels, Valentine 1 Hardwired, Blinder Xtreme M-40, Replaced Resonator with Straight Pipes, Charcoal Filters removed, H&R springs and spacers, Dinan 3.91 Differential, BMC filters.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 323is
    Well i have to say the Toyo T1-R. i have the 225/40/18, and they are fantastic. dry trac is good, turn-in trac is excellent. road noise is very very very good. wet trac is awesome(i say this from actual trials-for what thats worth). Ultimately its all you. this is just my two cents

My Cars
    97 M3/4, 04 Tribute, 94 Club Wagon
    I run the Falken 615's on the street, and for AutoX. Excellent dry grip. It hasn't rained much here in So. Calif. since I've had them. I've heard the Yoko Advan Neova's are also pretty good.

Chris
    09 135i: 6MT, M-Sport, iDrive, iPod/USB, Heated Seats, Premium Sound, BMW Assist

My Cars
    '08 4x2 Patriot

Pilot sport PS2 and the goodyear F1 GS D3 tires that have good ratings for max performance.
    i dont mind spending right around 150-200 i guess

are these to be used with all 4, back only or front only? (like u know, how u use drag radials on the back only)

hmm... considirable price drop when i go for 225s... guess I'll stick with 225s this time

My Cars
    98 M3/4
    225/40/18 sounds good to me. Tirerack has the goodyear F1 GS D3's at $155, the rest are $200-220. If it were just a street car, I'd go with the goodyears.

You should keep similar performing tires on the front and rear, otherwise you may upset the cars balance. this is mostly a concern where you have grippy front tires and crappy rears, so the back end could step out very easily. since you're putting new tires on the rear you should be ok. depending on how much tread is left on the fronts, and also their age, you may want to replace those too. The tire may be old and dry, so you can't go by just the treadwear.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i, 1996
    I think people overheat those falkens when pushing them hard at an autocross.
    Well if we put aside thinking and look at the solo2 nationals results

we will see that the falken azenis seem to in fact win just about all the time.
    http://www.framesdirect.com/sunglasses/ - Sunglasses!
    1994 BMW 325i - GUTTED,
    AD shocks, eibach race springs, motorforce camberplates, stud conversion, and RTAB limiters, tunnel exauhst, CAI/chip, underdrive pullies, fan delete, AC delete, sparco race seats, 18x9 Superlegerras, GC swaybar, 2.8L engine with M50 intake manifold
    AND
    1996 BMW 328 - daily driver

My Cars
    98 M3/4
    Quote Originally Posted by jmott
    Well if we put aside thinking and look at the solo2 nationals results we will see that the falken azenis seem to in fact win just about all the time.
    good point, but its probably too late for his chance at nationals this year I guess I phrased that poorly. I didnt mean to imply that the azenis always overheated, it was just a leadup to my next comment on how they might deal with daily or spirited driving heat buildup. could overheating be a problem if they were full tread depth and not allowed to spray them with water between runs?

Since he didn't mention autocross, I assumed street driving only. Hopefully his version of spirited driving is not plowing into every corner with 3 friends and a 200lb stereo system blasting in the trunk (on 225's). I don't know how that would compare to a few autocross runs, but maybe a bridgestone S-03 would have a stiff enough sidewall, good wet traction, and be more heat tolerant.
    Last edited by black_box; 10-06-2005 at 01:42 AM.

My Cars
    04 M3 (SMG) 97 M3/4
    225/40/18 sounds good to me. Tirerack has the goodyear F1 GS D3's at $155, the rest are $200-220. If it were just a street car, I'd go with the goodyears.

You should keep similar performing tires on the front and rear, otherwise you may upset the cars balance. this is mostly a concern where you have grippy front tires and crappy rears, so the back end could step out very easily. since you're putting new tires on the rear you should be ok. depending on how much tread is left on the fronts, and also their age, you may want to replace those too. The tire may be old and dry, so you can't go by just the treadwear.
    I've got the Goodyears on my M3 (stock Double Spoke IIs) and couldnt' be happier with their street performance. They're great in the rain and have been quiet over the 9000 miles I've had them on the car.

I will say that the rears have been wearing quickly. I'm figuring on getting 18 to 20K miles onthe rears before they'll need replacement. That's the downside of any soft performance tires though.
    jetmech3421: Saving pilot's lives, one flight at a time

My Cars
    04 Mazdaspeed MX-5
    Love my GY F1 GS-D3's. They are awesome in the wet, and nearly as good in the dry. Light track use does not faze them (if anything they just kept finding more grip as the day went on). For the price, i would reccomend them.
    Slow cars are quite possibly the most fun to own: you can push to extract all the performance you want on a daily basis without getting a ticket.