RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Check engine light on '96 328i

My Cars
    1997 M3/4 Byzanz, 2005 330i OB ZHP

Check engine light on '96 328i

My check engine light came on on my '96 328i with 88,000 miles about a month ago. My mechanic(not from a BMW dealership) replaced the clutch and when he put every thing back together the check engine light came on. He hooked it up to some diagnostic unit and got a code that said he needed to replace one of the oxygen sensors. After replacing the oxygen sensor, the light went off...but it came back on later that night. Now the engine sounds like it is going to stall when idling. the light has been on for about a week.
    I called the dealership and they said it would cost about $72 to hook it up to their machine to read the codes. Sounds ridiculous.

Does anybody have ideas on what to do? Do i have to reset the code somehow. I tried disconnecting the power supply, but te check engine light was still on.

thanks Lazaros

My Cars
    2015 435i M Sport
    Although you got a *code* stalling isn't a o2 sensor issue.
    Check for undone vaccuum lines or unplugged stuff that didn't get plugged back in.

Buy a peake tool for $139 and skip the dealer BS about CE lights.

Not cheap but worth $1 million in peace of mind and knowledge.
    BMW CCA Member 186373 - Golden Gate Chapter
    Former (e)Bombe Magazine Editor, "The Toy Box" product review writer | Current member of Team Jesus

Gone: 1995 E36 M3 Arctik Silber, 1996 E36 M3 Cosmos, 1991 E30 318is Cosmos