Thread: Clutch Switch Bypass

My Cars
    '99 ///M3

Clutch Switch Bypass

I searched, and searched.. and searched

Has anyone seen a write up on the bypass of the clutch / ingition kill switch?

You can't put a Clutch Stop on a 1999 M3 without bypassing the feature. I have everything disassembled to replace the "Final Stage Unit", and I figure, since everything is open down there...

Thanks!

My Cars
    whatever is there
    my 99 m3 starts w/ clutch stop
    This shop ripped me off and they'll rip you off too!
    ~~~> Autobahn EBAY ID: 1autobahn1
    444 Vernon Way, El Cajon, CA 92020
    619-444-2290

My Cars
    whatever is there
    screw it down farther. if it doesn't go anymore its gotta be grinded off/ shortened
    This shop ripped me off and they'll rip you off too!
    ~~~> Autobahn EBAY ID: 1autobahn1
    444 Vernon Way, El Cajon, CA 92020
    619-444-2290

My Cars
    '99 E36 M3
    I have clutch stop with '99 M3. It works fine, however if I let the stop out too much further the ignition switch may not engage. And then again, I have my stop almost all the way out.

I would play around with the distance and see how far you can bring the stop out and still start the car. The ignition kill switch is obviously a safety feature that should remain connected. Does anyone know how to either increase the length of the switch or bring the entire switch out further?
    '99 e36 M3 Estoril Blue
    Dinan CAI
    UUC SSK w/ DSSR
    UUC Carbon Fiber Shift Knob
    UUC M5 Performance Organic Clutch with 8.5lb Stage 2 LW Flywheel
    UUC Stainless Steel Clutch Line
    Rebuilt Transmission by Jim Blanton
    UUC Black TME
    Jet Hot Shorty Headers - custom bung

My Cars
    '99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by ///M-Bramage
    I searched, and searched.. and searched

Has anyone seen a write up on the bypass of the clutch / ingition kill switch?

You can't put a Clutch Stop on a 1999 M3 without bypassing the feature. I have everything disassembled to replace the "Final Stage Unit", and I figure, since everything is open down there...

Thanks!
    remove the plug that goes into the clutch switch. cut the violet/white wire and the brown/black wire. tie them together. switch bypassed. you may now remove the switch, too.

does your car have cruise? if it does, there should be two switches...pick the right one (use wire colors to decide).
    Dan

'99 BMW M3
    '04 Toyota Tacoma

'79 Volvo 242 GT [sold]
    '79 Volvo 242 GT [sold]
    '03 Kawasaki ZX-6R [sold]

My Cars
    97 M3 RIP / 2007 M6
    yeah, My buddy has a 99 with a clutch stop. I have a 97 with a clutch stop, If your car doesn't start, your clutch stop isn't screwed in enough. Which means you will eventually be killing your clutch if you get a bypass.
    -Chaz
    My SSK Faq (primarily e36 M3)

Don't PM Me. My box is way overfilled from when I was a mod. Email me if you have to get a hold of me.

My Cars
    '99 ///M3

well....

With a stock clutch yes. With an M5 clutch and UUC lightweight flywheel**, the engagement is WAY off the floor. You can bring the clutch stop out a long way and still provide enough pedal to completely disengage the pressure plate.

(**w/ 328 slave cylinder)

Having to go all the way to the floor with this set up is a waste of pedal and time. Once the clutch stop is where it should be, no starty.

Use common sense when adjusting your clutch stop. You want to make sure the clutch is fully disengaged or you will get what has happened to a lot of people - burnt clutch. But for the set up I am describing, this is a MUST DO!

Thanks for the info dshilkit!!

My Cars
    1998 M3 Coupe
    I think i ended up glueing something onto the switch to make it engage earlier.

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by ///M-Bramage
    With a stock clutch yes. With an M5 clutch and UUC lightweight flywheel**, the engagement is WAY off the floor. You can bring the clutch stop out a long way and still provide enough pedal to completely disengage the pressure plate.

(**w/ 328 slave cylinder)

Having to go all the way to the floor with this set up is a waste of pedal and time. Once the clutch stop is where it should be, no starty.

Use common sense when adjusting your clutch stop. You want to make sure the clutch is fully disengaged or you will get what has happened to a lot of people - burnt clutch. But for the set up I am describing, this is a MUST DO!

Thanks for the info dshilkit!!
    Really? My engagement is almost at the bottom (again). It WAS in the middle, but now it's closer to the ground. I like it that way. Could I be experiencing any problems then?

Oh, I have the UUC 8.5# LTW flywheel and Sachs Power Clutch. Could my fluid be low?

2005 Audi (Purchased 07/09) - 2005 Yamaha R6 (Raven) (Purchased 5/06)
    07/97 BMW (Sold 08/09) - 03/01 Audi A4 1.8TMCX (Sold 06/03)

Please do NOT PM me! Email me: clumpymold@sbcglobal.net

My Cars
    None
    Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but if you do bypass the clutch switch will your cruise control still operate normally?

I ask because I can set cruise control and when I press down on the clutch pedal, the rpms go up then the cruise control turns itself off. Is this because of the clutch switch or because the DME sees a difference in load signals and turns it off?

My Cars
    E36 M3
    in a cruise control car, if you step on the clutch without first disengaging the cruise - it will automatically disengage the CC when it senses the clutch is being actuated (the upper clutch position sensor). if this sensor is defeated the CC will disengage when it sees the revs zinging to the redline.

My Cars
    94 325 always in pieces
    pm dricebrug about it, you want some pics of what is needed right?