Thread: Is it OK to bypass PCV system ?

My Cars
    98AMG C55,99M3,412whp 95 AWD Eagle Talon Tsi

Is it OK to bypass PCV system ?

I am using the OBD2 valve cover in my 325 conversion(S52).The obd1 pcv hose with the PCV valve obviously wont wrk so what can I do? Can the system be bypassed with me just putting a small K&N filter on the PCV valve hole on the valve cover and pluggin up the hole in the rubber elbow that goes on to the throttle body? Any one?
    Last edited by coolcarlski; 10-15-2004 at 06:56 AM.

2015 bmw 335i Msport Xdrive 6 speed

My Cars
    Anyone?

My Cars
    05 Mustang GT, 92 Miata
    Only if you want oil leaks, and to be able to smell oil in the air all the time...

The PCV system is just that POSITIVE Crankcase Venitaltion... It uses that hose to draw a vacuum in the air volume in the crankcase. This helps prevent oil leaks, on many cars, simply repairing the PCV valve is enough to stop a leak. (with the system working properly, if you remove the oil cap with the engine running, it should stumble for a second, as you just opened a vacuum leak of sorts... cover the hole with your hand, you should feel a suction)

Putting a little filter on the valve cover isn't the same. You end up with just ambient pressure ventilation, crankcase odors, and if the car develops blowby, a light coating of oil on everything under the hood.

BMW's PCV is very good, better than any car I've encountered. I'd be loath to disable it.
    -Boondoggie

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Boondoggie
    Only if you want oil leaks, and to be able to smell oil in the air all the time...

The PCV system is just that POSITIVE Crankcase Venitaltion... It uses that hose to draw a vacuum in the air volume in the crankcase. This helps prevent oil leaks, on many cars, simply repairing the PCV valve is enough to stop a leak. (with the system working properly, if you remove the oil cap with the engine running, it should stumble for a second, as you just opened a vacuum leak of sorts... cover the hole with your hand, you should feel a suction)

Putting a little filter on the valve cover isn't the same. You end up with just ambient pressure ventilation, crankcase odors, and if the car develops blowby, a light coating of oil on everything under the hood.

BMW's PCV is very good, better than any car I've encountered. I'd be loath to disable it.
    well it does coat the intake manifold with oil. but I guess I'll rig it back up somehow!

My Cars
    E70 X5D & R56 MCS
    what did you do to get it to run right?
    -Kyle 1995 Custom Turbo M3 SOLD!