Thread: E30 Radio Programming Code

My Cars
    '88 325is

E30 Radio Programming Code

Hey all,
    Wife finally said to get her radio working so I'm glad I found this forum...

Wife's '88 325is has the factory radio. I swapped out the battery when we first purchaed the car and now the radio display flashes "CODE". When we purchased the car (used) about 4 months ago, the gal who sold it said the code was in the book. We've found a sheet of paper that provides a radio ID and a code number.

What is the SPECIFIC SEQUENCE I need to follow to get it working? (assuming this is the correct code...)

Thanks in advance...
    ~m38a1

My Cars
    e30 325i
    -When you turn it on and it says "CODE", enter the five-digit code with the preset buttons. It should beep and then work. Easy, really.

-BTW: does anyone have the tool to remove the radio that I can buy or borrow from you? My radio doesn't have reception and I want to check behind it.
    -Slushy 1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

My Cars
    Black '85 325e
    you dont need any special tools... just pop the side off, and the turning dial. then flip two metal things on the sides and pull hard. dont be afraid to break it... havn't you ever seen someone steal one? They're pretty rough with little harm, but be kinda carefull.

My Cars
    633CSi 325iC
    OK - here is what I have seen.... as you have mentioned in earlier threads you have the access code. So - here is what you do.....it's worked on mine.... ON THE STEREO (not the computer as I have attempted).......once you turn on the ignition system and turn on the radio; it probably flashes CODE at this point. Looking across the bottom bank of switches on the RADIO they should read as following (from Left to Right) 1/EJ 2/Dolby Logo 3/REW 4/FF 5/PROG.......... These are your entry keys/points for the code to be re-inserted. There should be no code digit larger than 5, as this is large as you can go. Once the proper code is installed the radio should come back to life big and crappy as ever ( if you have the stock 88 AM/FM Cassette Unit).....sucks anyway......Hope this Helps (Cliff in New Mexico)

My Cars
    '88 325is
    Jeez, I've tried this as well. When I put the key in the ignition, then turn it to the first position with the radio on, the antenna goes up, the display shows "CODE". I enter 12423 and it just beeps. There are two rows of buttons. I've tried both rows with no such luck.

[img]www.m38a1.com/g503/325is_radio.jpg[/img]

There was some hand written notes in the owners manual saying:

"...radio is locked if the code does not work. Put the key in car in first position for 1:15min with car on! Then come back with the key in any positino and enter code. May have to turn car off then on before putting in code"

The 8.5x11 sheet of paper reads at the top "RADIO CODE INQUIRY" and has the following information:

Radio - F70530289B
    Code 12423

Any more ideas? Any ideas on what was written in the book?
    ~m38a1

ETA:
    More detail on attempts
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by M38A1; 09-20-2005 at 11:46 PM.

My Cars
    633CSi 325iC
    what do the top buttons say from left to right and the bottoms? There is something funny going on here with this BMW....

My Cars
    87 325ic
    If you start entering the code and you hear a beep, stop immediately, and then begin the sequence again starting with the first number. This should get it. However, if you make a number of attemps entering the code in wrong then you need to clear it out. This is accomplished by running the car for an hour with the radio on. Hope this helps

My Cars
    87 325ic
    ps 12423 is the code

My Cars
    91 325i Cabriolet, 86 325es AKA 'The Shitbox'
    Don't just rip out the radio. You can jam a tiny allen wrench in there and turn the screws so that it comes out. You may have to jam it at an angle to get it to work.

If you go to the dealer with the radio and your registration they may be able to help you out. If it is the original radio they can tell you the code. They may also be able to tell you the code on it from the ID # you have if it isn't the original. But still, if you put the wrong code in 3 times it will lock you out for an hour or so. Your only option then is to leave the ignition and radio on for an hour and try again. But all you have to do is put the numbers in and it unlocks.

Good luck.

Steve
    TOMAHAWK
    Reach out and touch someone.

My Cars
    e30 325i
    -Put the code in on the bottem row of numbers, not the top. If that helps
    -Slushy 1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

My Cars
    '91 318is; '84 Alfa Romeo Spider; '94 Jeep GC
    Quote Originally Posted by bichmgnt
    Don't just rip out the radio. You can jam a tiny allen wrench in there and turn the screws so that it comes out. You may have to jam it at an angle to get it to work.

If you go to the dealer with the radio and your registration they may be able to help you out. If it is the original radio they can tell you the code. They may also be able to tell you the code on it from the ID # you have if it isn't the original. But still, if you put the wrong code in 3 times it will lock you out for an hour or so. Your only option then is to leave the ignition and radio on for an hour and try again. But all you have to do is put the numbers in and it unlocks.

Good luck.

Steve
    According to this thread ( http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=392583 ), you just need to have the key turned so the radio is on. You do NOT have to leave the car running for an hour.

---Eric

My Cars
    '88 325is
    Well, here we are just past 1 year since I started this thread. I must have tried 20 times following the instructions in every variation possible. I'm not sure what I did different this evening, BUT IT WORKED!

The only difference this time I can recall is I unhooked the battery for a few hours, then hooked it back, turned the key to get the radio fired up with "CODE" showing and let it sit exactly 1 hour and 10 minutes. Then I pressed in the 5 digit code using the numbers on the bottom row and the radio came on. WootHoot!

I've got a happy wife now!

Thanks!
    ~m

My Cars
    E30 325i
    this is a perfect example of what a man goes through to please his woman. they never appreciete do they

'90 325i Mamita

My Cars
    1991 BMW 325i Convertibl

Real Answer To Getting Radio Code To Work

Here is a real answer to the CODE problem. It comes from experience.

1) Open Hood
    2) Disconnect Battery Cables
    3) Touch the Positive and Negative Cables together. For at least 30-- 60 seconds.
    4) Reconnect and then try the code
    5) Should work now.

Why does this work?

The "Hey, Someone Stole Me" programming is stored in the car computer controls.
    Touching the cables together removes the fault codes from the the main "computer"
    or ECU. So now your car has a blank slate to work from. And you get three more try's or
    magic wishes.

It was surprising to me how many different radios were available in the E30's. But
    this should work for any of them.

Now "Go do...The VooDoo...That you do..So well!"

https://youtu.be/jS_Shu8y0sI

PS There are some New Model radios that can be installed easily. And look like the
    original. Maybe $200.
    Last edited by intuitivejohn; 03-20-2022 at 10:45 AM. Reason: adddng fun

My Cars
    82 320i 89 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by intuitivejohn View Post

PS There are some New Model radios that can be installed easily. And look like the
    original. Maybe $200.

who's building them ?

My Cars
    1992 BMW 318i convertibl

Stock Default Radio Code

Just purchased a pristine all original 1987 E30 convertible with original radio that still works.

Unfortunately, they don't have the radio code as the elderly gentleman who owned it never listened to the radio apparently.

Was there any kind of default radio code from the manufacturer?

Quote Originally Posted by intuitivejohn View Post
    Here is a real answer to the CODE problem. It comes from experience.

1) Open Hood
    2) Disconnect Battery Cables
    3) Touch the Positive and Negative Cables together. For at least 30-- 60 seconds.
    4) Reconnect and then try the code
    5) Should work now.

Why does this work?

The "Hey, Someone Stole Me" programming is stored in the car computer controls.
    Touching the cables together removes the fault codes from the the main "computer"
    or ECU. So now your car has a blank slate to work from. And you get three more try's or
    magic wishes.

It was surprising to me how many different radios were available in the E30's. But
    this should work for any of them.

Now "Go do...The VooDoo...That you do..So well!"

https://youtu.be/jS_Shu8y0sI

original. Maybe $200.

richardodn is offline Old Guy BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    20 440ix cab, 12 X3 35ix
    No, but your local dealer should be able to provide it for you at no or minimal charge. Just pull into the service line and tell them what you need.
    "Howdy, Folks!"

1986 Delphin 528e - Roof rack equipped lumber hauler.
    1989 Zinnoberrot 325iX Sedan - I miss this car. (Deceased)
    1998 Avus Blau 328iC - Someone else's project now
    2008 Platinum-Beige X3 3.0si - Current project
    2012 Alpine White X3 xDrive35i - My new snowmobile.
    2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio - This car is a blast to drive.

My Cars
    82 320i 89 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by richardodn View Post
    No, but your local dealer should be able to provide it for you at no or minimal charge. Just pull into the service line and tell them what you need.
    i'd get my ass laughed off if i tried doing something like that here with a car of e30 vintage.

My Cars
    1988 M3
    I have an 88 M3 and the radio works but won't eject a tape so I got another on eBay in good condition; however no lock code. The local BMW dealer I called had never heard of lock codes but looked it up. They told me the code was in the glove box, but of course not for the eBay radio. They did say they would look into it further and get back. There is a youTube video that says there is a phone app but couldn't find it for my iPhone and the video didn't mention the name of the app Arghhhh.

My Cars
    1988 M3
    I figured out how to re-program the anti-theft code on my 88 E30 M3. I got a spare radio on eBay to hopefully fix the original cassette deck that would not eject. The eBay radio had no code and the local BMW dealer didn't have a clue as to how to unlock it. I found this page: Code for Vintage Car Radio £7.95 | Classic Car Restoration | BMW CM5903 CM5905 CM5907 | Blaupunkt SQR49, Malibu (mmsa-radiocode.uk) that helped. It said the Alpine made CM5907 had to be soldered to re-code it. Looking inside the two radios there is a set of 8 solder jumper pads and they were done differently. I had the code for the original radio and re-soldered the eBay one to match. My code was 14422 which had pads 1,4 and 7 jumped with solder. If you have a CM5903 CM5905 CM5907 that should work for you too. Hope this helps. Now I have to see if the tape deck works in the eBay one and they both have scratchy volume controls. If I can get one good one, or two. I will try to replace the tape deck in the other one with a Bluetooth mod leaving it original looking: DIY Bluetooth Retrofit CM5908 - R3VLimited Forums

PS it doesn't come out of the dash with a Allen hex, it is a pent driver, yes 5 sides.

My Cars
    82 320i 89 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Del Schier View Post
    I figured out how to re-program the anti-theft code on my 88 E30 M3. I got a spare radio on eBay to hopefully fix the original cassette deck that would not eject. The eBay radio had no code and the local BMW dealer didn't have a clue as to how to unlock it. I found this page: Code for Vintage Car Radio £7.95 | Classic Car Restoration | BMW CM5903 CM5905 CM5907 | Blaupunkt SQR49, Malibu (mmsa-radiocode.uk) that helped. It said the Alpine made CM5907 had to be soldered to re-code it. Looking inside the two radios there is a set of 8 solder jumper pads and they were done differently. I had the code for the original radio and re-soldered the eBay one to match. My code was 14422 which had pads 1,4 and 7 jumped with solder. If you have a CM5903 CM5905 CM5907 that should work for you too. Hope this helps. Now I have to see if the tape deck works in the eBay one and they both have scratchy volume controls. If I can get one good one, or two. I will try to replace the tape deck in the other one with a Bluetooth mod leaving it original looking: DIY Bluetooth Retrofit CM5908 - R3VLimited Forums

PS it doesn't come out of the dash with a Allen hex, it is a pent driver, yes 5 sides.

nice reply. the scratchy volume control is a dirty or worn potentiometer. you can likely upgrade it or replace as well.

My Cars
    1988 M3
    I have some control cleaner on the way. Very high grade stuff from Miller and Stephenson. That should fix both radios and the front-rear fader. I had the local BMW dealer nicely and quickly get back to me with the code for the eBay radio but had already re-programmed it Here are pictures of both solder jumper configs. BMW code 14422.jpg code 14422 and BMW code 15333.jpg 15333. Maybe someone can figure out the logic to the jumpering. 15333 is pads 1,2,4,5 and 7 soldered together.
    Last edited by Del Schier; 12-08-2022 at 12:13 PM.

My Cars
    BMW 525
    Quote Originally Posted by Del Schier View Post
    I have some control cleaner on the way. Very high grade stuff from Miller and Stephenson. That should fix both radios and the front-rear fader. I had the local BMW dealer nicely and quickly get back to me with the code for the eBay radio but had already re-programmed it Here are pictures of both solder jumper configs. BMW code 14422.jpg code 14422 and BMW code 15333.jpg 15333. Maybe someone can figure out the logic to the jumpering. 15333 is pads 1,2,4,5 and 7 soldered together.
    What is the model number? CM5907 ???

- - - Updated - - -

Re-solder like on the screenshot and code will be 12434

CM5907.jpg
    Last edited by Rdecode; 12-08-2022 at 03:14 PM.

My Cars
    e46 ///M; e21, e46 ZHP
    Nice details. I am trying to do this on my radio. Can you tell me on which board the jumpers are located.

My Cars
    1987 325ic
    Quote Originally Posted by e21LiMg View Post
    Nice details. I am trying to do this on my radio. Can you tell me on which board the jumpers are located.
    I know this is an old thread but - I just did this solder on my CM5907 and it worked! relatively easy to do - there are just 2 screws on the bottom / back of the radio holding in the metal plate, then search the board until you find the schematic as mentioned in the jpeg images linked in this thread. I jumped 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 - and the unlock code "12434" worked perfectly. took about 1 hour total including removing the radio and soldering.

this is on my 1987 e30 cabriolet