Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Synthetic Engine Oil - I've made my choice!

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Originally posted by Gene V
    Specified weight is 15w40 in a climate where the temp reaches 80 deg F and warmer...subsequently, I use Redline 10W40 because of that and for the reasons stated under that viscosity on their website...I'm not worried about my gas mileage...
    Isn't that specified weight for a non-synthetic oil? :
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    1997 M3, 2dr/5spd*
    As depicted in the owner's manual and Bentley's...it doesn't specify petroleum based or synthetic...
    Estoril/Modena '97 M3...sold for the second time.
    ------------------------------------
    You only live once, and I'm running out of time...

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Here is some information reported from somebody that uses Amsoil.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...threadid=82844
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    1997 M3, 2dr/5spd*
    WOW!...running up to 50 deg cooler with Amsoil...

My Cars
    2004 Mazda RX-8
    Hey guys, what about Castrol 5W-50?

I just got around to reading the details of Bob's report (http://********************/kevin/amsoilstudy.cfm), and it seems to point clearly to a different winner for me - never thought I'd say Castrol, but check out the specs for Castrol Syntec 5W-50. Viscosity Index and Flash are almost identical to AMSOIL 0W-30, and High Temp/High Shear is better. Ash content is very good for the Castrol (not listed for the AMSOIL), and, like most, Wear is "NA" for Castrol. For those of us who attribute lesser valvetrain noise on track to higher viscosity oil, 5W-50 should be a better choice than 0W-30, and the cold start viscosity is only 5 points higher than a 0W.

I never thought I would consider any synthetic other than Mobil1, Redline, or AMSOIL, but it's hard not to give a hard look at Castrol 5W-50, given it's basic specs. So what am I missing? Please, someone, tell me why the Castrol isn't as good as the AMSOIL, Redline, or Mobil1.

Keith Q.
    Cary, NC
    1996 M3
    Keith Q.
    2008 THSCC Top Gun
    2004 330i (sold)
    1996 M3 (sold)
    1996 328is (sold)
    1993 325is (sold)

My Cars
    1997 M3, 2dr/5spd*
    I used the Castrol 5w50 in previous cars when it first came out...don't know why I stopped using it.

So, oil experts, why isn't it as good as Amsoil, Redline, Mobil 1, etc?

My Cars
    '99 M3, '90 525i
    My $.02 is that I believe the guys in Bavaria (BMW Engineers) are kinda smart, after all they design, build, and test every part of these cars to failure. They also look at racing such as the ALMS (Schnitzer and PTG) to see what is up with these cars.

They know these cars and more specifically the engines. Regardless of brand I'd say stick with the factory recommended viscosity ratings. I'm sorry but you can't convince me Amsoil knows more about my BMW engine that the BMW engineers who designed...AMSoil and the other manufacturers make a product for the masses that is oil to dump in every car be it a 1953 Studebaker or 2003 M3. They do not have the money to do the kind of studies any car manufacturer does on a specific model.

If 0W30 is so great for these cars BMW would have said "run 0W30" BUT... it's your money and your car....have at it.

My Cars
    2004 Mazda RX-8
    I couldn't agree more, but BMW doesn't seem to make any synthetic oil viscosity recommendations for E36 M3's. I've found it impossible to get anyone at BMW to tell me what the recommended viscosity grade is for synthetic oil in my '96 M3. My BMW manual and Bentley manual both state viscosity recommendations only for petroleum based oils and not for synthetics. I called BMW North America's customer service line, and they bounced me around, finally suggesting I check with my local BMW dealer. When I asked at the dealership (Service and Parts personnel), they all said they weren't sure, they use whichever viscosity they have in stock, sometimes 5W-30, 10W-40, etc. No one I've talked to at BMW could come up with BMW's actual recommendation.

Does anyone know?

Keith Q.
    Cary, NC
    Keith Q.
    2008 THSCC Top Gun
    2004 330i (sold)
    1996 M3 (sold)
    1996 328is (sold)
    1993 325is (sold)

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    I'm almost dead sure that BMW at the time recommended 5W-30 synthetic for the E36 M3. I don't have a manual in front of me, so I can't tell you for sure.

However, when they recommended it... 0W-30 was not available. I do believe newer 3series cars come with a 0W-30 synthetic oil recommendation.

As for the 5W-50... you know, I'm not quite sure. I think it has to do with the fact that the oil may be so thick that it may not reach between the tight tolerances of engine parts. IE... at operating temperature... a 30W oil is able to get to parts that have a clearance of .0003mm while a 50W oil wouldn't be able to get into the same place. Now, I'm not quite sure... but that's what I think.

Granted... race cars use a thicker blend, but often, their tolerances are not built so close or have been driven so hard, the tolerances have opened up over time possibly? :

My Cars
    2004 Mazda RX-8
    That would be true in the case of single-viscosity oils but not in the case of multi-viscosities. Multi-viscosity oil does not thicken as it heats up, it just thins a lot less than a single grade would. For example, 0W-30 is 0W at low temp and increases to 30W at high temp, but the high temp (30W) flow properties are still "thinner" than the low temp (0W).

Keith Q.
    Cary, NC
    Keith Q.
    2008 THSCC Top Gun
    2004 330i (sold)
    1996 M3 (sold)
    1996 328is (sold)
    1993 325is (sold)

EAG, Enthusiastic Auto Group in Cincinnati, recommends using Amsoil 15w40 Diesel/Marine engine oilin an M Roadster. They deal in nothing but BMW M cars and have for years. I've been using it for the last 5 years in my 2000 M Roadster. No issues. Thoughts?

My Cars
    E30 E36 E46 E90
    I didn't like the metals I was seeing with Amsoil in my truck, they improved a fair bit following a switch to Rotella. I see no reason to use Amsoil in anything.
    2011 M3 Sedan
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD LBZ
    1999 323i GTS2
    1995 M3 - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
    1990 325is
    1989 M3 - S54B32/GS6-37BZ

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo
    Hers: 1989 325iX

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    17 years, nice. Might be a new record.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    S54 E36
    That was an epic necro. I also like that the account is already banned.

for the most part, synthetic oil is synthetic oil. i was on the amsoil kick 20 years ago. now im indifferent. unless you have a track car, oil is oil on the street.

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by TostitoBandito View Post
    17 years, nice. Might be a new record.
    It's far more entertaining when it's a random resurrect than an actual meaningful update.

My Cars
    1996 z3
    My question is had you (Bob) talked to a Technical Design Engineer and Chemist for Royal Purpurple, Liqui-moly, Red line or Lucas might they also say that theirs performed better than the rest. It would seem to me that employee of a company might have an invested interest in their own product and job security. Just saying.

for daily driving you guys are splitting hairs debating brands. the weight is all that matters. 15w 40 wld be heaving for a northeast winter. id use 0w or 5w 30 all year round.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123