Avus Autosport

Thread: Need valve cover gasket replaced...good shop?

My Cars
    E30 325

Need valve cover gasket replaced...good shop?

What's a good shop you would recommend? I'm in Corona but wouldn't mind taking it out to Orange County. I was quoted about $250 in San Diego, but I don't want to take it that far.

Thanks!

My Cars
    E30ic:f350CCDRW:999:Dc2
    Do it yourself. It is pretty basic just buy the gaskets. IMO

My Cars
    88 M3(sold)
    I am not that mechanically inclined and I was able to do it myself. If not, try Toms Foreigh Autohouse in Temecula. That is were I bring my car, very honest. I tried to get them to do work for me, they insisted it was not needed yet and told me to wait. How many shops will stop you from spending more.

Good luck

My Cars
    E30 325
    Quote Originally Posted by JAYSWHITESEDAN
    Do it yourself. It is pretty basic just buy the gaskets. IMO
    be a good way to save the $ if it's easy enough. my only problem is i tend to take a long time to do simple things

but I do eventually accomplish them

My Cars
    2006 E55 AMG
    I agree you should do it yourself. Its easy and satisfying to know you saved a buch of mod money! Id recommed some 1/4" sockets for the rear bolts. It would probably take you 2 hours at the most

RENNtech 168mm Pulley and Tune | VRP Carbon Fiber Airbox | JP Shorty Headers | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | RENNtech Digital Lowering Module | 19" HRE 547R
    459 RWHP, 522 RWT

My Cars
    E30 325
    Yeah, it will be easier and cheaper. I gave everything a good look and it doesnt look hard at all. I've done engine stuff on Mustangs before so at first I wasn't going to do it but it looks easy.

Won't a need a torque wrench?

My Cars
    No torque wrench is needed just use your own strength....

My Cars
    1996 328is, 1908 Buick, 1971 Holden HQ Monaro GTS-
    Quote Originally Posted by bonk5327
    You will if you want to do it right. If memory serves me right they should be torqued to 89 in-lbs (not foot lbs) and you will want to follow the torque pattern if you want to help insure no leaks

My Cars
    #94 IP, '68 250SE '17 M3
    Yeah, super easy job. My e36 takes maybe 20 min and the e30 is even faster. Save it for a Sunday afternoon.
    '94 325is #94 IP/GTS3 Mauritius Blue Metallic
    "And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

My Cars
    e30/36/46 325/M3/330
    Quote Originally Posted by bonk5327
    Yeah, it will be easier and cheaper. I gave everything a good look and it doesnt look hard at all. I've done engine stuff on Mustangs before so at first I wasn't going to do it but it looks easy.

Just crank them down to the standard German torque spec... guttentite.

Quote Originally Posted by dallasfan824
    TC does not want ghey hookers you silly.

My Cars
    1993 325i Mauritius Blue 4dr
    Quote Originally Posted by 94is
    Yeah, super easy job. My e36 takes maybe 20 min and the e30 is even faster. Save it for a Sunday afternoon.
    Are you serious? 20 minutes? There were so many nuts and bolts. Took me like 2 hours to do the job.

If you dont feel confident in doing it yourself, dont do it. Try and find an asian owned bmw certified shops. They will most likely charge you a much cheaper rate. There are lots in Rowland Heights and possibly Westminster area.
    What it used to look like

My Cars
    Yeah the valve cover gaskets are no major job should not take longer that an hour at least...But 20 mins no way!

My Cars
    #94 IP, '68 250SE '17 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by JAYSWHITESEDAN
    Yeah the valve cover gaskets are no major job should not take longer that an hour at least...But 20 mins no way!
    Okay, maybe I exaggerated. But its cake compared to almost anything else you can do to these cars.
    '94 325is #94 IP/GTS3 Mauritius Blue Metallic
    "And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna