Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: E39 Glove Compartment Fuse Guide

My Cars
    528i

Automatic Transmission Control Module fuse

Automatic Transmission Control Module fuse
    '99 528i sport

The 2nd (2 of 5) 30 amp fuse located in the engine compartment under the passenger side cabin filter keeps blowing causing me to loose the shift dash indicators and only giving me 3rd gear driving.

Anyone have a suggestion of why this could be happening?

The 1st time it happened was while getting the car washed. I figured something got wet. then it started like once every 3-4 months.
    today I went through 3 fuses. As soon as I put them in and put the car in gear they're blown.

The car drives fine and was shifting great until this happened
    '99 528ia Antracite metallic- Double Din Kenwood Excelon, Hifonics Zeus & Brutus, Alpine type R's, 19x9.5 M-Pars, headers w/custom dual exhaust 2 cats-2 res, white dash gauges, led signal mirrors, fender grilles, m-tech body kit, 10000k halos & fogs, LED interior, vented/slotted rotors, CAI, NNR coilovers & sink drain front grille

My Cars
    1997 BMW 528i

Looking for horn relay on 1997 528i

I have a 1997 528i that's not getting power to the horn.....I checked the fuses even though my fuse location sheet is in German....not the same as the one you posted but close. Anyway I'm trying to locate the horn rlay??? Can anyone help?? Thanks

My Cars
    88 M5, 540msport, 335 S3
    Quote Originally Posted by Matbeamer View Post
    I have a 1997 528i that's not getting power to the horn.....I checked the fuses even though my fuse location sheet is in German....not the same as the one you posted but close. Anyway I'm trying to locate the horn rlay??? Can anyone help?? Thanks
    It's located under the drivers side dash. Take off the lower dash panel and the relay is located underneath, to the left of the steering wheel.

I was diagnosing a horn problem yesterday and my relay was bad....so this is def something to check.

PS- Can anyone tell me the fan relay part number? I having trouble pulling it from Realom or Penske?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by motuman; 02-25-2013 at 01:48 PM.

My Cars
    1996 e39 523i
    Does anyone know the part number for fuse 75 and 76?
    I really need a replacement for the 50 amp fuse but cannot convince bmw to sell me one.

Kind regards
    lumin

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by luminmiller View Post
    Does anyone know the part number for fuse 75 and 76?
    I really need a replacement for the 50 amp fuse but cannot convince bmw to sell me one.

Kind regards
    lumin
    Is this the correct one?

Fuse Maxi, red #5 in the diagram. (61138367154)
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...61&hg=61&fg=20

My Cars
    1996 e39 523i
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdc4 View Post
    Is this the correct one?

Fuse Maxi, red #5 in the diagram. (61138367154)
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...61&hg=61&fg=20

Yes that is the part numbers I need, Thank you!

UPDATE:
    I got the parts from the dealer and now I can add a 50 amp vacuume pump and maintain stock appearance.
    thanks for the help I love this forum

Kind regards
    Lumin
    Last edited by luminmiller; 11-12-2013 at 09:51 AM.

My Cars
    BMW 530d, 2001.

If needed

Quote Originally Posted by Danni540 View Post
    Thank you!

This can become extremely useful for me for my E39 was imported for Germany and therefor everything is in German, and I don't understand much in German, only easy stuff.

Much appreciated.
    I am German. If you need anything translated, don't hesitate and PM me.

cheers

Axel

My Cars
    2001 e39 520i
    May be a lost cause as this is an old thread and I couldn't find anything newer about it.. but, where in all that is holy, is the E39 Touring ("sport wagon") brake light fuse located? Did BMW just FORGET to put it on the touring models and only have it on the sedans ("limousine" lol) models?

I've been searching for quite a while trying to find anything about it, but seemingly the manuals are as useless as the ones who designed it if there is no actual brake light fuse on the touring models, but there is on the sedans.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainfold View Post
    May be a lost cause as this is an old thread and I couldn't find anything newer about it.. but, where in all that is holy, is the E39 Touring ("sport wagon") brake light fuse located? Did BMW just FORGET to put it on the touring models and only have it on the sedans ("limousine" lol) models?

I've been searching for quite a while trying to find anything about it, but seemingly the manuals are as useless as the ones who designed it if there is no actual brake light fuse on the touring models, but there is on the sedans.
    If you've inserted a 5 amp fuse in fuse position #41...or if you don't have a fuse in position 41 or a provision to accept a fuse in that position in the glovebox's fuses...then the Touring may not have a fuse for the brake light and is under the control of the LCM. The Touring has something that the sedans do not have...and that's the LED brake light bar at the top of the tailgate.

Here's direct links to wiring diagrams for the 520iT brake light switch and it shows F41:

On the sedans...F41 is the 5th from the right (if you count fuse 45 as the first one) on LHD models:

BTW, the LCM was designed/developed to take the place of fuses and relays for most of the external & internal lighting features. The info below shows the development of the LM-LCM for the e38/e39/e53 generation:

Last edited by Qsilver7; 01-09-2018 at 03:49 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    2001 e39 520i
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    If you've inserted a 5 amp fuse in fuse position #41...or if you don't have a fuse in position 41 or a provision to accept a fuse in that position in the glovebox's fuses...then the Touring may not have a fuse for the brake light and is under the control of the LCM. The Touring has something that the sedans do not have...and that's the LED brake light bar at the top of the tailgate.

Here's direct links to wiring diagrams for the 520iT brake light switch and it shows F41:

On the sedans...F41 is the 5th from the right (if you count fuse 45 as the first one) on LHD models:

BTW, the LCM was designed/developed to take the place of fuses and relays for most of the external & internal lighting features. The info below shows the development of the LM-LCM for the e38/e39/e53 generation:

yeah.. none of that translate to the wagon models, not the same fuse-box types & locations. Kinda frustrating. And LCM doesn't track the LED-light.
    Last edited by Mainfold; 01-09-2018 at 05:39 PM.

My Cars
    99/00 BMW 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by northernmist View Post
    hew! I scoured the forum, searched the car, and couldnt find it. I almost accidentally found the missing blower heater fan fuse, numbers 75 and 76. Yes, they are behind the glove box fuses..........sort of. What you have to do is look under, and in front of, the glove box, just above where the passenger feet would be. There is a sliding panel. Just pull it towards the rear of the car. Up under here there are two big fuses, mounted from above, down into their sockets. I don't know why it was such a problem to get the information, hopefully I have been successful in helping you.

Mine were OK.

OMG! YOU ARE THE ONLY PERSON I'VE SEEN ON THE WHOLE INTERNET who mentioned the sliding panel. That made everything SO much easier! Thank you very much! However getting to those fuses is not the easiest task in the world!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123