Thread: E39: speedo not working, ASC and ABS lights on...HELP!

My Cars
    1999 M3 Coupe

E39: speedo not working, ASC and ABS lights on...HELP!

Hey all,

My speedometer suddenly stopped working (tach still works) and my ASC and ABS lights came on at the same time. I checked all my fuses but they all seem to be fine. Will it be a relay problem or my brake fluid's low or ??? So many questions, no answers. Thanks in advance!

My Cars
    potato
    hmm - sounds more like a gauge malfunction - does your tach work?

My Cars
    1967 Camero RS
    ABS/ASC lights on, Speedo Not Working, MPG gauge not working, and not recording miles.

most likely the outside temperature by you is about 85degrees farenheight. on my 99 528i, if the outside temp was above 85 degrees, and if i went to start my car the abs/asc lights would stay illuminated. but if it was night time, below 85 degrees, the lights would remain off until it either got too hot outside, or if youve left ur car heatsoak. pulling codes will indicate that you have

1)CAN Fault
    2)RL Speed Sensor Open (speedo)
    3)or rarly RR Speed Sensor Open (cruise)

the above leads to a bad abs controller. www.modulemaster.com $355 total for me as i asked for 1 day turnaround and over night shipping.
    it may be a bad wheel speed sensor as well as combined with the module.(get my explation below)

but if the abs/asc lights stay on all the time no matter what. its probably a loose wheel pulse generator. or shorted. or open

but if the abs/asc lights only come on after moving 3-5 mph. then the wheel pulse generator is bad, or the exciter ring is bad. there was a TSB on this matter. vehicals produced after 9/98 to i think 3/99 had bad wheel pulse generators due to the manufacturing process of the pulse generators, they would form small hairline cracks and would allow moisture to penatrate the plastic pulse generator.

My Cars
    '98 M3 & '08 X5 4.8
    The same thing just happened to my '00 528I. What was the resolution?
    NEiL

TT Stg 2

My Cars
    '95 325i '87 325es
    Me too.. '99 540.. no speedo, tach, mpg, and the abs and asc lights came on ..

Is this a recall or a DIY?

My Cars
    '98 M3 & '08 X5 4.8
    I had the wheel speed sensor replaced which fixed it. Cost ~$300.
    NEiL

TT Stg 2

My Cars
    1967 Camero RS
    wow, $300 for a wheel speed sensor? the price of the sensor is $60 and labor is just removing the wheel and removing the ~5.5mm Allen bolt that is attached to the hub. labor should be less that 1 hour.

My Cars
    '98 M3 & '08 X5 4.8
    That's what happens when the dash lights up like a xmas tree, the wife freaks out and I'm not home to fix it.
    NEiL

TT Stg 2