Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which CAI? (be nice I tried a search)

My Cars
    BMW-Less

Which CAI? (be nice I tried a search)

Ok, I am still pretty new to this car and want to start with basic mods, but only have limited expenses. I figured CAI would be the best place to start since it seems like something that I can do. Which one doe everyone recommend? I see a lot about JC, but AA is $50 cheaper and comes with a cover and K&N filter. Any advantages to either over the other or are they basically the same, so don't waste the extra $50.

My Cars
    04 M3
    lots of choices out there...the JC CAI and Dinan unit seem to be the units of choice if price isnt an issue. The ECIS and PAR intakes are the bang-for-the-buck picks.

I remember seeing a link back to a review between the JC CAI and ECIS, and I *think* the numbers turned out pretty similar, maybe the ECIS even came out on top...not too sure...my memory's all fuzzy these days

i dont think you can go wrong with any of the above units...prob more a choice of how much money you want to spend and how nice u want it to look.

My Cars
    05 GT3,M3 LTW, E90 325, E46 325, E46 M3 Conv,
    I like the JC the best. I have had 3 of them and all three were top quality. They also have a better filter with them

Don't think you could really go wrong with any choice... whether it's the JC, ECIS, Dinan, PAR, etc... They will all generally perform the same.

But, I went with the Dinan CF CAI because of it looked great.

My Cars
    BMW-Less
    No one seems to mention the AA intake. Is there something wrong with it or is everyone just against the K&N filter? What is the ECIS website? Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    1995 M3/Caddy STS
    i've been running the ECIs CAI for about a month now....I got a heat shield and a chrome cover with it. Looks pretty sharp but I swear I have lost power since I installed it. I am thinking my car is breathing too well and not exhaling well enough so perhaps a new exhaust will fix that. Anyway, I'm not too impressed with ECIS's CAI, it hisses loudly and is very throaty and loud at WOT. The throaty part sounds pretty good but the hiss is annoying.

I have a friend with the Dinan intake and he said he doesn't like it because it sucks up too much dirt and water and such from the road.

just my .02 - I'm thinking about going with the AA exhaust and if that doesn't fix my ECIS power loss then I'm ditching it and going with something else.
    The Michael Gavin Band <BR>
    <a href="www.themichaelgavinband.com">www.themichaelg avinband.com</a>

My Cars
    98M3C
    AudioMan,
    I also researched this prior to deciding, I went with JC for two reasons:
    1) design and materials quality.....the heat shield is hand laid fiberglass with black gelcoat. Fit and finish are super, instructions were first rate too.
    2) I became convinced that the ITG filters (come with JC) are superior to K&N's cotton gauze in removing smaller (engine damaging??) particles. Their layered foam design just makes good sense to me.

Here's the ITG website, check it out and happy researching!
    http://www.itgairfilters.com/
    HTH,
    Mike

My Cars
    1999 Alpine White M3
    Ive had my ECIs for a while and I still love that roar when I open it up. You cant go wrong for $239. i was skeptical at first about it, but it is definitely worth the money. it will definitely give you performance you can feel and hear.

My Cars
    1995 M3/Caddy STS

Don't think you could really go wrong with any choice... whether it's the JC, ECIS, Dinan, PAR, etc... They will all generally perform the same.

But, I went with the Dinan CF CAI because of it looked great.

I've got a PAR intake with my own ITG filter, best of both worlds, and probably works out less than the competition...

My Cars
    1995 M3/Caddy STS
    one thing I will say is that hot engine = less HP and ECIS's heat shield DOES do a great job of keeping the engine heat out. You can touch the filter after a hard drive and it's actually cool to the touch...more or less.... that's important to me because I live in Phoenix and it's like 114 degrees already not even starting to add in the engine heat. 114 + Cosmos Black = Pot Roast

My Cars
    1995 M3/Caddy STS
    I'm with Scho, tho....the WOT roar does sound pretty cool. Scho, does your ECIS CAI hiss? I get a pretty loud air hissing noise when I open up the throttle. I've checked for leaks and found none other than the crack between the hood and the body. Also I swear I've lost torque but I can't really tell...definitely haven't gained any power though. What's your experience been like with these matters?

My Cars
    1998 M3/2
    I use a JC intake. Fit and engineering was way better than the competition.

Maestro- I removed the intake baffle from the stock airbox before I got the intake and I found a little bit better throttle response. When I installed the JC intake, it was even better. I also have a SS exhaust.

-Bobby

My Cars
    BMW-Less
    ECIS currently has a special (may be old news) for $300 you get the intake and cover. How difficult is the Dinnan CAI install? Do you have to cut anything. They just show a picture of the Intake and not in the car.

My Cars
    04 M3
    so how does the sound compare between these different brands of intakes? Will a CAI pretty much give you the same sound regardless of brand, or is it more like choosing an exhaust, where a distinct difference can be heard?

I've been running the ECIS intake for over a year now, and the sound, quality, and fitment are all top notch.

My Cars
    98 M3, 06 F-150
    I've had the ECIS for over a year and it works great. I don't notice any hissing and it really runs cool.

But your first low cost mod should be getting new tranny mounts w/TMEs from http://uucmotorwerks.com
    It's the best (most important) mod out there.
    Keith
    1998 Hellrot ///M3 Coupe
    ECIS Intake,Dinan software,Rogue SSK,UUC Tranny Mounts
    X-brace,GroundControl coilovers,ZKW w/DDE Lightning Enhanced
    Clear Corners,Kumho MX,UUC Pulleys,UUC Sway Barbarians,UUC/Wilwood BBK

My Cars
    96 M3, 86 Saleen Mustang, 96 FullSize Bronco
    I've got the PAR and the sound is awesome - nice roar all the way thru the rev's with a nice bark at the top of of the throttle. Great fit and finish.
    96 Arctic Silver M3 - Kuhmo Estcas on Hartge Type D 18's, PAR Intake, Sharked, Elipsoids w/ Gen Iv HID Blue DDE's and smoke corners/SuperFog, TMS LTW flywheel & TME's, X-Brace, JT RSM's,ConeCam video gear & stealth mounted V1 w/ InV1siMirror,JT undertray, Motorsport rotors w/ Ferodo DS 3000 and 2500's, Bilstein Sports with Eibach's,SwayBarbarians & UUC SS Comp Evo SSK, SuperSprint exhaust and Schroth harness'es, JT brake ducts......Coming - front and rear JT braces...
    My name is Juan Pablo Montoya. You lapped my father. Prepare to die.

My Cars
    1995 M3/Caddy STS
    Hellrot, speaking of tranny mounts...did you install those yourself? I'm going to be doing that job this coming weekend and just wanted to confirm the install...do you have a good URL for a step by step or could you post one yourself? As far as I know I don't have to break linkage, I can just pop up the tranny a bit with a floor jack and put the new mounts on and let it back down onto them, right?

My Cars
    '92 E30 Convertible
    Originally posted by ///Maestro
    I'm thinking about going with the AA exhaust and if that doesn't fix my ECIS power loss then I'm ditching it and going with something else.
    The loss of power that you have described is unusual, so you may wish to re-check installation to see if airflow is in someway blocked to the intake.

I don't think that going with an aftermarket exhaust will give you a perceptible, compensatory bump in power. I, too, have an ECIS intake and an AA Generation III exhaust. If anything, the exhaust "neutralized" the power gains I received from the intake. I noticed a small drop in low-end torque when the exhaust was installed.

Don't get me wrong--I love the AA exhaust for its solid construction and wonderful sound. But don't expect a cat-back exhaust to do anything for performance. The ECIS intake OTTH, has been one of the better mods I've done (i.e., no regrets).
    Last edited by Gatorbait; 07-30-2002 at 08:08 PM.

My Cars
    98 M3, 06 F-150
    Hellrot, speaking of tranny mounts...did you install those yourself? I'm going to be doing that job this coming weekend and just wanted to confirm the install...do you have a good URL for a step by step or could you post one yourself? As far as I know I don't have to break linkage, I can just pop up the tranny a bit with a floor jack and put the new mounts on and let it back down onto them, right?
    Yes I did. Piece 'O cake.
    UD///M says look here: http://home.earthlink.net/~r_tech/ca...t_bushing.html
    Keith
    1998 Hellrot ///M3 Coupe
    ECIS Intake,Dinan software,Rogue SSK,UUC Tranny Mounts
    X-brace,GroundControl coilovers,ZKW w/DDE Lightning Enhanced
    Clear Corners,Kumho MX,UUC Pulleys,UUC Sway Barbarians,UUC/Wilwood BBK

I get a pretty loud air hissing noise when I open up the throttle. I've checked for leaks and found none other than the crack between the hood and the body.

Maestro-

The hissing sound you hear is pretty typical with any CAI. The sound is created by the incoming air rushing over the throttle butterfly at a certain position. This is like blowing air across the top of a beer bottle to make a sound.

The stock air box is called a silencer for a reason, to quiet down the sound of incoming air, as well as the sound of the air across the throttle plate. So know that the intake track is opened up, the sound can be heard.

jeremy-

My Cars
    2004 Lexus IS300
    I thought that you should get some type of engine software along with the intake?:

My Cars
    not an e30

Question PAR CAI ?

I am actually ordering a intake from Pete tomorrow(PAR), does the ECIS Intake cover fit over any setup, or just compatable with their own heat shield, also Pete uses the Pilot brand filters, is that a good filter, if not what is better ? also what kinda gas mileage variations has everyone gotten after their CAI has been installed ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast