Thread: E46 convertible top replacement

My Cars
    325i Convertible

E46 convertible top replacement

Does anyone have a link or instructions on how to replace a convertible top on an E46?

My Cars
    325i Convertible

second posting...need help with top replaceent

I'm working on it this weekend. If no instructions source then just knowledge from those who may know:

The fabric top appears to be held in place largely with screws and bolts. There are a few places that double stick tape was applied. In looking at the replacement top and the original top, I didn't see any spots where special adhesives or bond was used. Nor did it appear any special tools were needed. In looking at some instructions pertaining to earlier model tops (E30, E36), they were more complex and would call for an upholstery shop or professional installers. Is the E46 more easily changed out than other models? It appears reasonably straight forward but I dare not say simple. Any comments from anyone who knows? Your help is much appreciated
    Last edited by FIAF1; 09-09-2005 at 11:06 PM.

My Cars
    05 M3, 01 Z3M, Jeep ZJ
    My top was replaced professionally by Long beach BMW after my 330 was vandilized. When I spoke to the service rep, he said the top was mosty held together by screws, but it took something like 11 hous of labor to put it in, so imagine its possible to do but not the easies thing in the world. I know on e36s, its like ungodly hard to replace.

So the top was something like 600 bucks, labor to put it in was about 2000, IIRC.

Current:
    2001 S54 M-Coupe
    2011 Mini Cooper Countryman S
    94 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L/242 TC (Daily)

Past:

95 325i Convertible/Boston Green
    01 330Ci Convertible/Steel Grey/Stick
    05 Infiniti G35 Premium/Tech

My Cars
    325i Convertible

Ok, I have now done it so here's what it takes:

Thanks for the info Tetatdo, I can see 11 hours easy. Yes, there are dozens of screws throughout, philips, hex, torx, bolts. I was able to do the complete operation with the top half way open (front 18" open, back frame maybe 60 degrees up). I did not have to remove the headliner but I did unfastened parts of it. The top is held on largely with five 1" strips screwed into the support frames going across the top. Accessing the screws was tedious and the frame parts had to be unattached so the strips (which had adhesive on it) could be freed. The most difficult aspect of the job was where the canvas top was riveted into the frame (about where the C pillar is) in about a half dozen places. The rivets had to be drilled out (or ground or chiseled). I had to do all three. All along the way there was a lot of careful tugging, pulling and awkward positioning. Luckily, there didn't seem to be any required sequence that forced me to go backwards, you can start either on the front or the back. I would save the rivets for last though. In my opinion, the average home maintenance guy can do this job. Patience and a decent place to work is key however. I would give it a whole weekend. You will learn everything you need to know taking off the old one. Just be careful with the rubber seals, they can tear easily. All in all, doing it yourself is worth the savings but somewhere along the way, you may question that.

My Cars
    05 M3, 01 Z3M, Jeep ZJ
    Quote Originally Posted by FIAF1
    Thanks for the info Tetatdo, I can see 11 hours easy. Yes, there are dozens of screws throughout, philips, hex, torx, bolts. I was able to do the complete operation with the top half way open (front 18" open, back frame maybe 60 degrees up). I did not have to remove the headliner but I did unfastened parts of it. The top is held on largely with five 1" strips screwed into the support frames going across the top. Accessing the screws was tedious and the frame parts had to be unattached so the strips (which had adhesive on it) could be freed. The most difficult aspect of the job was where the canvas top was riveted into the frame (about where the C pillar is) in about a half dozen places. The rivets had to be drilled out (or ground or chiseled). I had to do all three. All along the way there was a lot of careful tugging, pulling and awkward positioning. Luckily, there didn't seem to be any required sequence that forced me to go backwards, you can start either on the front or the back. I would save the rivets for last though. In my opinion, the average home maintenance guy can do this job. Patience and a decent place to work is key however. I would give it a whole weekend. You will learn everything you need to know taking off the old one. Just be careful with the rubber seals, they can tear easily. All in all, doing it yourself is worth the savings but somewhere along the way, you may question that.

Wow man! Good info. Good to know.

Current:
    2001 S54 M-Coupe
    2011 Mini Cooper Countryman S
    94 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L/242 TC (Daily)

Past:

95 325i Convertible/Boston Green
    01 330Ci Convertible/Steel Grey/Stick
    05 Infiniti G35 Premium/Tech

My Cars
    2001 BMW E46 330CI
    FIAF1, I'm about to do the same project but going a step farther and replacing the frame. Did you by chance take any pictures?

Thanks,

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    This is a thread I wrote on the e36 top. I suspect the e46 is very similar. I've done 2 of the e36's. So how does this compare to FIAF's job?

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...new-canvas-top