Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New track in Utah, Miller Motorsports Park.

My Cars
    2012 Tacoma

New track in Utah, Miller Motorsports Park.

It's scheduled to open in fall 2005 and ALMS will race there in 2006. Designed by Alan Wilson, it's the largest track in the US at 4.5 miles. It can also be run as two separate 2.2 mile long tracks. It must be pretty exciting to run such a long track but it's full of the signature Alan Wilson short straights.

I'm happy to see ALMS expanding and the development of new tracks. Road Racing is enjoying a resurgence hopefully.

Is divorce in the air? Get the list and follow it!
    http://forum.dadsdivorce.com/viewtopic.php?t=13374

My Cars
    '91 E34 M5, '89 325i, '00 Saab 9-5 Wagon
    VIR has the capability of being as much as 4.3-4.4 miles long in their largest configuration, so it's close. Based on reading the page, it looks like they will likely use the 3 mile "outer" course most often. I bet that's what ALMS will run as well.

My Cars
    05 GT3,M3 LTW, E90 325, E46 325, E46 M3 Conv,
    That track looks pretty cool. World Challenge is going to be running there next year so I will let you know how it is. I still haven't ran Barber which is supposed to be the best in the country right now. Would be interesting to hear how these two new tracks compare.

My Cars
    '91 E34 M5, '89 325i, '00 Saab 9-5 Wagon
    Barber is "best" in regards to the facilities, but I'm not a fan of the layout. I much prefer the VIR's, Road Atlanta's, etc or the world when it comes to layout style.

My Cars
    Smurf Mobiles
    Sweet.......we are also getting a new track in south jersey ( http://www.njmotorsportspark.com/ ). It is called Thunderbolt Raceway and it is designed by the guy who did VIR. It's 40mins away from us

My Cars
    Spec E30, 997 Turbo, F80
    If that that track video of miller is an accurate representation of what it will really be like its sweet. Check out how much camber is a lot of those turns. No lift It should be a really fast track.
    Damion Moses
    Spec E46 #620

My Cars
    2017 M3 Comp
    Quote Originally Posted by ///M3Matt
    Sweet.......we are also getting a new track in south jersey ( http://www.njmotorsportspark.com/ ). It is called Thunderbolt Raceway and it is designed by the guy who did VIR. It's 40mins away from us
    When is that supposed to be done.

Edit: I found it.

Project Time Line

Spring 2005 - Construction Ground Breaking
    Spring 2006 - Opening of Thunderbolt Raceway and Completion of Phase I
    2010 - Estimated Completion of all Phases

My Cars
    2012 Tacoma
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Watts
    Barber is "best" in regards to the facilities, but I'm not a fan of the layout. I much prefer the VIR's, Road Atlanta's, etc or the world when it comes to layout style.
    Ditto. I nominate Barber as 'best track to bring a girl to', the facilities are awesome and staff not annoying as people tend to think.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Looks like its coming along quickly.

It will be nice to have a world class facility in the rocky mountain area....

My Cars
    E46M3 SWC, E90325 GAC, E36 ITS, 04 2500HD
    The ALMS/GA/SWC races will all happen on the 4.5 mile track. The outer, east, and west loops will be used for regional events, HPDEs, corporate events, etc. It promises to be one of the best overall tracks in the US.

The paving of the whole track won't be done until the end of this month, so we are not expecting to see any events run there this year except on the kart track. But look for the track to be ready for cars in about May 2006.

Our new shop is 20min away, we have a garage space coming there, and will be one of the first people on the track. If any one has more specific questions or wants more info about volunteering let me know.

Rob Birkhead
    Utah SCCA Road Race Director
    Miller Motorsports Park Worker Training Coordinator
    Last edited by M Rob; 09-08-2005 at 01:35 PM.
    Rob Birkhead | Principal

My Cars
    2012 Tacoma
    Rob,

Do you guys have either a club racer or DE car for rent? I'd love to go out there but a 29 hour one way tow is a tad extreme.

My Cars
    E46M3 SWC, E90325 GAC, E36 ITS, 04 2500HD
    Krisko, funny you mention that Due to a lot of requests we are working on building an E36 ITS/JP rental car right now. It will be ready for next season if anyone wants to come out and give the track a try.
    Rob Birkhead | Principal

My Cars
    05 GT3,M3 LTW, E90 325, E46 325, E46 M3 Conv,
    Quote Originally Posted by M Rob
    Krisko, funny you mention that Due to a lot of requests we are working on building an E36 ITS/JP rental car right now. It will be ready for next season if anyone wants to come out and give the track a try.
    Rob send me an email with some info on this. I am interested in doing a ride there before the SWC weekend. porsche993@(nospam)mindspring.com

My Cars
    2012 Tacoma
    Quote Originally Posted by M Rob
    Due to a lot of requests we are working on building an E36 ITS/JP rental car right now. It will be ready for next season if anyone wants to come out and give the track a try.
    This is a no brainer...build a car up for about $20,000 and rent it out at least 4 or 5 weekends a year for a few years at $2000 per weekend. When the 'newness' of MMP dies down you can still sell the car for about $20,000. MMP is going to command attention but it's too damned far for east coasters and mid westerners to even think about towing to.

My Cars
    '88 M3, '03 330i ZHP
    I was stunned by Barber's facilities when I was down there for GA in July. The museum is simply nuts... well worth every cent of the $10. The drivers didnt seem to rave about it but there werent complaints either. As a spectator its a pretty good track since you can see a 3 different "straights" from one spot. That Miller track looks sweet though.
    David
    1988 Zinnoberot E30 M3

My Cars
    2014 Porsche Cayman S
    Man, they really do seem like they want to maximize speeds on the main straight. The curve onto the straight is banked and a high speed sweeper at the end; people will be absolutely flying through there . . .

My Cars
    E[3|4]6 M3, F350
    Quote Originally Posted by 300ZXNA
    Man, they really do seem like they want to maximize speeds on the main straight. The curve onto the straight is banked and a high speed sweeper at the end; people will be absolutely flying through there . . .
    Looks like they are predicting 174 mph from a WC Viper:

http://www.millermotorsportspark.com/speedSim.cfm

They just had a large event announcing the upcoming racing, ALMS/SWC/Grand Am/AMA Superbike will all be here in 2006, track rental pricing etc.

They had Emanuele Pirro lay rubber across the Delta Center in his R8, culminating in a 270 spin park job. A bit gimmicky, but probably not to those who were sitting down in the front row on the floor 20' away from him

There were other drivers and cars, Pat Long and a GT3 Porsche, Panoz, ALMS Corvette, GrandAm Daytona prototype, The TriPoint Mazdas etc. Lots of bigwigs from the series all touting about how their series was the best. People were able to sit in the cars til some jackass(ette) spilled a coke in the Panoz. Funniest quote from a bigwig was from GrandAm, "I may have the shortest presentation, but I got the longest race." It'll be a 9 hr enduro.

It'll be really nice to not have to tow 450+ miles to hit a track next year.

My Cars
    88 E30 M3 S65
    Holy Moly those are some fast corners. They don't project a laptime that I see.

My Cars
    2014 Porsche Cayman S
    I've done some track days at Spokane Raceway Park, which has a 1 mile long level straightaway, and they get some serious speeds there. I got a ride in a 911 GT2 and we were doing nearly 180 going into braking for turn 1.

My Cars
    E36 M3 CMod/ITE car, 06 F250 SD PS CC

ITS on MMP?

This track looks awesome, and the fact that they are talking it so seriously and going after so many racing series and kinds (they have somehow stolen Freddie Spencer from Vegas for their MC school) is sure to increase its accessibility - and our consequent ability to enjoy.

Just a thought though, and I know it can be run in different configurations, but how to do you guys think an ITS car would fit with this track? ITS seems a great choice series-wise (if one is interested in maximizing participation), and I'm considering the purchase of a car to run in it very seriously, but the speed of this track makes me wonder if a more powerful car might be a better fit...and sooner or later it will be my home track...

Thoughts?

My Cars
    2012 Tacoma
    An ITS car would make a great first race car. A more powerful race car can just get you into trouble more quickly anyway.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by krisko
    An ITS car would make a great first race car. A more powerful race car can just get you into trouble more quickly anyway.
    I agree, it would be a great intro class for many reasons. However, I'm not sure how good a car built to run in this class would be at a track like this one, and I'm reluctant to buy a car that doesn't fit the track I see myself running most often...I chose not to run SM for a reason, and I'm afraid an ITS car on a very fast track (like MMP) might feel like a Miata at a slightly slower (but still fast) track (like TWS).

Know what I mean?

My Cars
    2012 Tacoma
    I'll put it to you this way...leading ITS cars are about 2 seconds slower than my 280hp IP car (at Road ATL, a high hp track). You should build a car that a) you can afford, b) has healthy competition in your area, c) is reliable.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by cdraayer
    I agree, it would be a great intro class for many reasons. However, I'm not sure how good a car built to run in this class would be at a track like this one, and I'm reluctant to buy a car that doesn't fit the track I see myself running most often...I chose not to run SM for a reason, and I'm afraid an ITS car on a very fast track (like MMP) might feel like a Miata at a slightly slower (but still fast) track (like TWS).

Know what I mean?
    Not to mention, MMP is around 4000-5000ft, so power will be down even more.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by krisko
    I'll put it to you this way...leading ITS cars are about 2 seconds slower than my 280hp IP car (at Road ATL, a high hp track). You should build a car that a) you can afford, b) has healthy competition in your area, c) is reliable.
    Agree 100% w/ AB&C, but if those were the only relevant criteria there would be many options. For me, I want all the aforementioned stuff, and I also want something FUN to drive. I'm well aware top speed has very little to do with road racing, especially compared to corner speed, but there comes a point where rising corner speed intersects with top speed - and I want to be sure the car I build/buy is not stuck below that intersection. I don't mean to say I think I can run all the way around MMP flat on the floor in 5th in an ITS car, but I'm sure you know what I mean. It's a matter of fit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast