Thread: bang for the buck performance?

My Cars
    '01 325i / 330ZHP clone

bang for the buck performance?

Hi, all,

Just thinking out loud here. I've got a '93 325is that I'm slowly evolving into a track car. What I'm thinking is probably a year in the future, as I have a "plan" that I am sticking to to make my car better.

For those that are interested, the "plan" is pretty simple:

Buy a cheap high mile 325 coupe-check
    Put a LSD in it-check
    new stock brakes-check
    springs-check
    shocks-tomorrow/next day (will do springs at the same time)
    seats
    rollbar

At this stage, I will probably get "Maaco-ed" as my paint is peeling off in sheets.

Then I plan to tweak on the suspension, get brake ducting/stainless lines put on, etc, and do a few track weekends/ driving schools..

Once I get comfortable with the car, my plan is to then add horsepower. Keep in mind that this has to be "self funding" so I am selling stuff off the car that I don't need, and I bought a parts car for the wheels and LSD, made mod money off the rest of the pieces.

So....I'll probably get another parts car and have an extra engine to mod for the eventual day that the M50 in my car goes boom.

Would you start with a M50? M52? M3 motor? what are the best mods to add to a worn motor, or would you rebuild and "build"? Turbo? Supercharge? cams and headwork? What would be the ideal junkyard racing combination?

Just wasting time before going home from work, what do you think?

B

My Cars
    1995 Hellrot 325is
    If you are going to race your decisions can only be based on where you plan on racing...BMWCCA, SCCA, and what class you want to race in. That being said, best to post in the Track/AutoX Forum
    [
    Turner Perf Chip/Fan Delete/Sparco Strut Tower Brace/X-Brace/JTD Underpanel
    Zimmerman X-D Rotors/Axxis Ultimate Pads/Solid Caliper Guide Bolt Bushings
    UUC EVO3/DSSR SSK/3.15 LSD/Cosmos Racing CAI V2/ASC Delete
    96+ M3 LCA/LCAB M3 RTAB and GC Shims
    BMW OEM Alarm/Woodgrain Delete/Blizzaks baby!/16x7 BMW Style 30 Sport wheels

My Cars
    '01 325i / 330ZHP clone
    Quote Originally Posted by hellrot325
    If you are going to race your decisions can only be based on where you plan on racing...BMWCCA, SCCA, and what class you want to race in. That being said, best to post in the Track/AutoX Forum
    wow, my car looks just like yours, lol..

anyway, I'm planning on starting out in J/Stock, so I have a lot of restrictions there. Who knows where it will end up, but say I wanted to forget about a racing class for now and just have a kick butt street setup, what would be the cheap route? M3 motor/trans, turbo, or s/c?

B

My Cars
    1995 Hellrot 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by banndit
    wow, my car looks just like yours, lol..

anyway, I'm planning on starting out in J/Stock, so I have a lot of restrictions there. Who knows where it will end up, but say I wanted to forget about a racing class for now and just have a kick butt street setup, what would be the cheap route? M3 motor/trans, turbo, or s/c?

B
    Adding a rollcage is not very smart for street, unless you plan on driving around with a helmet on. Assuming that you are just staring on your racing adventure, just keep everything fresh and spend your money and time on seat time. A stock 325 will be more than you can handle...it will take some time to get to 10/10's...get proficient with race driving first
    [

My Cars
    '01 325i / 330ZHP clone
    Quote Originally Posted by hellrot325
    Adding a rollcage is not very smart for street, unless you plan on driving around with a helmet on. Assuming that you are just staring on your racing adventure, just keep everything fresh and spend your money and time on seat time. A stock 325 will be more than you can handle...it will take some time to get to 10/10's...get proficient with race driving first
    The cage will be in the back, and I don't go anywhere without a seat belt on.

I know the power will be plenty until I get good w/ the car.

B

My Cars
    1995 Hellrot 325is
    Really, post the same question in the track/autoX section. Lot of smart guys there and you may be able to hook up with some. My limited experience is that most people who race enjopy sharing their experiences with others, and will be glad to help. Much easier to start with a friend.

And you'll have way more fun going 9/10's in a stock 325 than 5/10 in a heavily modded one...and you can only get there with seat time. That, and maintenance (perf driving is tough on a car and tires) costs money.

I was going to go your route but racing is a summer sport in WI, and that's golfing time!! But perhaps an occasional DE
    [