Thread: e36 intercooler mounting points

My Cars
    2004 330Ci

e36 intercooler mounting points

I searched on DTM and Bimmerforums. Cant find some pictures that i KNOW i have seen before. So please help a brotha out!
    I wanna see where you guys mounted your intercoolers to. Im a little worried with the traditional mounting points.
    I think most people remove some of that bumper renforcement and mount to some tabs in there, which is great BUT; i am worried about welded a 3/8" thick tab to a .090" thick endtank. If the weld current is turned down, the weld wont penetrate the mounting tab (3/8" thick) if its turned up high enough or too high to weld the tab then the weld will burn a hold into the endtank.

RIGHT????

My Cars
    '99 M3
    I would take the tab that's on the IC, drill it, then bolt it to one of the 2 inner bolts holding the bumper supports up. If that makes any sense.

I have mine on the bumper supports themselves, if I was going to do it again, I would use the base of the bumper supports.
    TEC-3R, T4 GT40, WISECO, EAGLE, SUPERTECH, O-RING'D "FRANKENSTEIN" STROKER.

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by trthrrt489
    I would take the tab that's on the IC, drill it, then bolt it to one of the 2 inner bolts holding the bumper supports up. If that makes any sense.

I have mine on the bumper supports themselves, if I was going to do it again, I would use the base of the bumper supports.
    a pic would help but i have a pretty good idea what you are talking about.
    There isn't so much vibration on the bumper that the weld would crack? EVEN something professionally welded?

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    bump for some pics. Ive seen BASSMASTERS page but i need something a little bit more zoomed in

My Cars
    BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmansM
    bump for some pics. Ive seen BASSMASTERS page but i need something a little bit more zoomed in
    Weld a thick slab of aluminum to the end tank and tap it. Have your brackets screw into that.

My Cars
    '99 M3
    http://bimmerforums.com/forum/showth...ight=turbo+diy

Again, If I were to do it again, I would use the base of the bumper post and not the bumper support.
    TEC-3R, T4 GT40, WISECO, EAGLE, SUPERTECH, O-RING'D "FRANKENSTEIN" STROKER.

techno550 is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    E36's + 300D
    I searched on DTM and Bimmerforums. Cant find some pictures that i KNOW i have seen before. So please help a brotha out!
    I wanna see where you guys mounted your intercoolers to. Im a little worried with the traditional mounting points.
    I think most people remove some of that bumper renforcement and mount to some tabs in there, which is great BUT; i am worried about welded a 3/8" thick tab to a .090" thick endtank. If the weld current is turned down, the weld wont penetrate the mounting tab (3/8" thick) if its turned up high enough or too high to weld the tab then the weld will burn a hold into the endtank.

RIGHT????

You can weld thin stuff to thick stuff. Start the arc on the thick, once the puddle is there, drag it down to the thin. Put the heat into the thick *near* the thin stuff and let it flow down. You'll get good penetration into the thick piece this way, and use that to control the heat in the thin piece (easy to get good penetration on the thin anyway).

The common mounting points seem to be either to the bumper support to the core with vertical bolts, or brackets that bolt to the end tanks to the frame rail mounts of the bumper shocks on 45's.
    Michael McCoy TRM