Thread: weird noise...what is it?!?!

My Cars
    1996 328is

weird noises...what are they?!?!

so whenever my car is heated up and in drive, reverse, 1, 2, or 3, it makes a really weird relatively loud rattling noise coming from the engine area. it sounds like it could be a belt but i have no idea...its a difficult noise to explain. it doesn't happen when the car is cool or when it is in park or neutral. i didn't notice it until i got my car back from the shop. i recently had a moderate tranny rebuild....automatic

any thoughts?
    --------------------

the other noise comes from the rear of the car. any time i drive over a bumpy road or a bump or anything it makes a rattling noise as if a few pieces of metal are clanking together. i don't know much about cars, but i went to the drivers side rear tire and kicked it and it made a similar noise. could it have something to do with the breaks? they are relatively new...only a few thousand miles on them.

AHHH

My Cars
    E39 M5
    Don't know but my good friend lives in Santa Cruz now and he's the best BMW mechanic you'll ever find! PM me if you want his info.

My Cars
    1995 Hellrot 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by jacko1211
    the other noise comes from the rear of the car. any time i drive over a bumpy road or a bump or anything it makes a rattling noise as if a few pieces of metal are clanking together. i don't know much about cars, but i went to the drivers side rear tire and kicked it and it made a similar noise. could it have something to do with the breaks? they are relatively new...only a few thousand miles on them.

AHHH
    Its brakes, not breaks. COuple of things to check....RSM could be bad, anti-rattle clip on caliper loose, or maybe diff bolt issue.
    [
    Turner Perf Chip/Fan Delete/Sparco Strut Tower Brace/X-Brace/JTD Underpanel
    Zimmerman X-D Rotors/Axxis Ultimate Pads/Solid Caliper Guide Bolt Bushings
    UUC EVO3/DSSR SSK/3.15 LSD/Cosmos Racing CAI V2/ASC Delete
    96+ M3 LCA/LCAB M3 RTAB and GC Shims
    BMW OEM Alarm/Woodgrain Delete/Blizzaks baby!/16x7 BMW Style 30 Sport wheels

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    One odd thing I had that took me ages to track down was...
    The jack! It was loose and would make a REAL scary sound over bumps as it rattled. Some bits of foam is all it took to fix.

My Cars
    323 IS
    Quote Originally Posted by DrColossus
    One odd thing I had that took me ages to track down was...
    The jack! It was loose and would make a REAL scary sound over bumps as it rattled. Some bits of foam is all it took to fix.
    Haven't experience that with my Bimmer yet, but when I had an Integra it turned out to be the heat shields on the exhaust. ???