Thread: Still getting too hot...What else could it be?

My Cars
    1997 M3, 2000 Taupe Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Still getting too hot...What else could it be?

Sooo....I flushed the coolant, put in a new 80* C thermo (although the one I took out was also an 80* from the prior owner) and did the water wetter...after getting on it and stopping and letting it idle, the car is still going to 250-260 degrees. When I am driving the temp is fine stays right in the middle, but when I stop to let the turbo cool down the temp keeps going up. So is it my fan clutch? The electric fan is working fine. I ordered the new fan switch from the fan delete and I replaced my UUC udner drive pulleys back with the stock ones. So do I ahve a bad water pump or is my fan clutch bad? I spun the fan with my fingers and it spins about 2-3 blades (awesoome starting blade is at the top 12 o'clock high, and when I spin it, it spins about 3 blades through that same point.

So thoughts? I am asking the FI forum because of the turbo and the heat issues started after the turbo....

Thanks.
    2003 BMW M3 - White with black leather and black suede inserts. UUC Rasp-X pipe and UUC sway bars, Alpine IPOD deck with Focal speakers front and rear and a 12" MTX sub in the trunk, all run by a JL Audio 5 channel amp. Other than that, stock at this point, but I am working on it!
    My Other Ride: 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Use to have a '97 M3, Estoril blue with Technique Tuning Turbo....wrecked it

My Cars
    '97 M3 Sedan
    Is your electric fan spinning the right way? I hooked mine up backwards at first and saw these temps quickly.

I've been flogging my TT stg1 in this brutal texas heat and I'm always steady at 220-230.

My Cars
    05 Yukon Denali,01 MB s430,99 Tacoma,95 M3 Turbo
    Get a new clutch fan.
    1995 M3 Custom Turbo, Turbonetics T66 BB,72lb injectors, Sias Tuning PnP Tec 3, IBM T30,PLX M250 wideband O2 sensor,Blitz SBC-iD Built low CR 8.5:1 motor CP Pistons,ARP head & main studs,Metric Mechanic HP Valve springs,walbro 255hp,BMP FPR,Modified fuel rail # 6 SS feed line,3in ss custom magnaflow exhaust,Lower level turbo intake,AA six puck disc, Spec Stage IV PP ,AA differential bracket,AA strut tower brace,UUC UD Pullies,UUC short shifter,UUC tranny mounts,UUC clutch stop,Fluidyne HP radiator.M3 LTW wheels Est..1001 rwhp!

Http://members.cardomain.com/bassmasterM3
    (DIY custom turbo)

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmaster
    Get a new clutch fan.
    So to you it sounds like a bad fan clutch? It is much easier to replace than the water pump...so I would be fine if that just solved it.
    2003 BMW M3 - White with black leather and black suede inserts. UUC Rasp-X pipe and UUC sway bars, Alpine IPOD deck with Focal speakers front and rear and a 12" MTX sub in the trunk, all run by a JL Audio 5 channel amp. Other than that, stock at this point, but I am working on it!

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by aespen
    Is your electric fan spinning the right way? I hooked mine up backwards at first and saw these temps quickly.

I've been flogging my TT stg1 in this brutal texas heat and I'm always steady at 220-230.
    Hadn't thought about that, which way is the right direction...looking from the front should it go clock wise or counter wise? The shop that put the turbo in hooked it up....

My Cars
    M3Saloon 325iC 525iT
    Did you bleed the system thoroughly? If you drained the block during the flush, it may take awhile to bleed all the air out of the system. Just making sure you've covered all bases...

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by ///Dom
    Did you bleed the system thoroughly? If you drained the block during the flush, it may take awhile to bleed all the air out of the system. Just making sure you've covered all bases...
    Well I believe I did, but just read the bleeding process on understeer.com and I did not to it to that level....The thing is it is doing exactly what it was doing before I did this project. It stays cool while moving but if I have been getting on it and stop and let it idle, the temp goes way up...that is why I amthinking it is the clutch, if it is going bad then then it is not moving enough air when I am stopped.

My Cars
    M3Saloon 325iC 525iT
    Quote Originally Posted by Colo97M3
    that is why I amthinking it is the clutch, if it is going bad then then it is not moving enough air when I am stopped.
    I think you just answered your own question.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by ///Dom
    I think you just answered your own question.
    Well that is my thinking, I always like to cross reference with the forum to see if my thoughts are right

My Cars
    97 M3 99 Z3M
    My car was overheating at idle sitting in traffic with my A/C on, but the car would drive fine when on the highway. We installed a new fan clutch and all my overheating problems went away.
    1997 M3
    1999 Z3 M Coupe - Turbocharged

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by ADVANT123
    My car was overheating at idle sitting in traffic with my A/C on, but the car would drive fine when on the highway. We installed a new fan clutch and all my overheating problems went away.
    Well I ordered a new fan clutch today, $113...not too bad since the dealer wanted $210! So will try that when it gets here. Still have the fan switch from the fan delete mod coming too, hoping the combo will do it

My Cars
    '97 M3 Sedan
    fan should be pushing air through the radiator.