Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: new tires or wheels

My Cars
    2006 Toyota Tundra

new tires or wheels

so i was looking at my tires and this is def a noob question. the numbers on my front tires are 215/45R17 and the rear is 235/4ZR17. what do these numbers mean please help

My Cars
    BMW 320i and Saab 900i
    See if I can get this right for you

The 235 part is how wide the tyres are. So looking from behind 235 look quite wide. (You can tell looking at yours as there is a fair difference between your front and back ones (mine are both 225 front and back))

The 45 part is the height of the tyre from the alloy to the top of the tyre. So the lower the number the thinned the look from the side (mine are 50s front and back)

The 17 relates to the size of the alloys they go on, ie in your case 17 inch.

The letter relates to the speed rating of your tyre
    H = upto 130 mph
    V = upto 149 mph
    ZWY = Over 149 mph (probaly most common ones)

Generally I think people say you should have same speed ratings all round, so not to have Vs at front and Ys at back etc.

Regarding the R. This could mean the tyres are remoulds. I hope not but someone could confirm this.

R on speed rating would only be upto 106 mph if it is that.

Cheers

My Cars
    04 Mazdaspeed MX-5
    On a radial tire, they wouldn't be remoulds. I can't remember why, but most tires have a R on them now, I hope Jim weighs in on that one. As for the other numbers, here is an example: 235/45-17 That is the stock tire size on my 530i Sport. Here's a decode of that: 235 is tire width in mm, 45 is % of 235 that the sidewall is on each side (45% of 235mm = 105.75mm), and 17 is the wheel size the tire is designed for. Hope that helps.
    Slow cars are quite possibly the most fun to own: you can push to extract all the performance you want on a daily basis without getting a ticket.

My Cars
    2006 Toyota Tundra
    so in inches how wide are my tires, and how wide could i go without rub, mods, front and rears? thanks

My Cars
    04 Mazdaspeed MX-5
    Don't think in inches, get used to mm, as tires stopped being measured in inches years ago. A 3 series guy will have to let you know on what your car will fit, and what offset of wheels you'd need to fit it.
    Slow cars are quite possibly the most fun to own: you can push to extract all the performance you want on a daily basis without getting a ticket.

My Cars
    95 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by CobaltFire
    Don't think in inches, get used to mm, as tires stopped being measured in inches years ago. A 3 series guy will have to let you know on what your car will fit, and what offset of wheels you'd need to fit it.
    The funny part is the width is in millimeters (mm) but the diamater is in inches (i.e. 245/35/18) .
    As for how big you can go? check this forum because that question is asked a lot and it depends on rim size, offset and your suspension/ride height..
    1995 325i Schwarz II, Dove Grey, Sport Package
    H&R Sport Springs/Koni SA's
    X-Brace
    3.2L M3 shock tower reinforcement plates
    M-Roadster rsm reinforcement plates
    M5 replica rims wrapped in BFGoodrich g-Force Sport 235/40 ZR18
    Cosmos CAI
    Zionsville Autosport all aluminum radiator (just say no to plastic)

FS: 4 E36 16x7 sport rims in chrome wrapped with Yok AVS ES100 225/50ZR16

mmm Guinness

My Cars
    05 330xi
    235mm * (1in / 25.4 mm) = 9.25"
    05 330xi: Jet Black, 6-speed, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW