Thread: M3 Bumper upgrade DIY

My Cars
    Jetta

M3 Bumper upgrade DIY

I need to swap on my M3 bumper cover. I don't know that I have the necessary hardware or even what is really involved. Has anyone seen a write up on this?
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine
    You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. — Anne Lamott
    Custom watch straps for sale

FOR SALE: watch straps!!

E36 DIY: My articles are now located in the E36 DIY page

My Cars
    '97 328i
    there is one in the DYI list stickied http://www.logun.org/front%20bumper.htm

My Cars
    Jetta
    I would think removing the entire bumper is a little different than swaping the cover.
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine
    You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. — Anne Lamott

My Cars
    '97 328i
    I dunno... It looks like it's just removing the cover in that one..

My Cars
    Jetta
    No. The actual bumper is a metal piece that is attached to the bumper and then bolts onto those shocks.

My Cars
    '97 328i
    ahh sorry. I didn't look too much.

My Cars
    R53
    Quote Originally Posted by old skool
    No. The actual bumper is a metal piece that is attached to the bumper and then bolts onto those shocks.
    never seen such a DIY yet.. good luck finding it

My Cars
    2005 X5 4.4is
    There are small plastic rivits that hold it on. You can see them from the front of the bumper when you have the trim removed. Go to your dealer and buy new ones.. I think 12 in all. Then cut the olds one off your old bumper and install them on the new bumper cover. It is actually simple stuff. Just sometimes hard to cut the old ones out.

I tried to salvage my old rivits.. But I ended up destroying them..

My Cars
    Jetta
    Ah yes, I noticed the rivets on the back of the old bumper. I will definitely pick those up. I know there is also a good deal of aligning that needs to be done when installing the bumper and although I could probably figure it out, I was hoping to have an idea up front so that I don't get stuck with a car that has no bumper and I have to drive it to work the next day and then to the dealer to get parts.

My Cars
    97 328i
    I recently replaced my stock cover on my 95 325i.
    I used the link posted above for help, and it went pretty clean.
    I bought the new plastic rivets, but in the end i could have reused the
    old ones. I believe they were about 18cents at teh dealer.
    part #51111944537.
    I assume that the m3 would go on the same way as the 325i cover, and
    it helped having an extra person to help guide and hold it up, while
    sliding it back on.
    I was able to to it and i dont consider myself a car mechanic by any means.
    I was actually amazed how simple it ended up being!!

Good luck and post pics when done.
    /Sean

My Cars
    2016 M3 Manual
    well start off by having all the parts ... that way you wont be like me and need to make 3 trips to the $tealer for stuff i was missing.

There's a few pieces that are different on the M3 so you'll need to buy them if you dont have them already. The foglights themselvees and the brackets that screw on to the cover are the same. However, the 2 smaller brackets on the sides of the bigger brackets are different on the M3 so youll need 2 of those. the porkchops are different as well and you'll need 2 of those(triangle looking pieces on the bottom of each corner of the bumper, they hold the fender liner to the bumper). once you have these buy some of the rivets used to hold the bumper support on to the cover as you'll break some if its the first time you do it. You could reuse the old ones by pushing the little tab in the middle out by using a nail or something sharp. make sure not to loose said tabs as they'll become useless.
    you'll need 2 brake ducts as well as they are different and that should be it unless im forgetting something.

tip 1: assemble the entire bumper assembly before you try to put it on the car as it is alot easier(exceptions are thre brake ducts).

tip 2: make sure you slide the cover onto the brackets ... if you put the bumper on and its not sitting flush with the body it's not sitting on the brackets like it should. remove it and try it again. it helps to have a helper for this part.

good luck.

My Cars
    Jetta
    I have my stock fogs and brackets so I guess I will need new surrounds. I don't think the bumper I got has them already. I have the mesh piece I have to install, I have the moldings, I have the lip spoiler ( I will have to check to make sure I have the rivets to attach this), I have the brake ducts, I will buy more plastic pieces to mount the cover to the metal bumper, I have the jtd underpanel.

I was told with the jtd you don't use the M3 porkchops so I didn't buy them. I will maybe have to add rivets to secure the jtd as much as possible. Some people suggest new wheel well liners but I am pretty sure mine are fine.

The ETK lists a bunch of strange parts needed including hardware and stuff called seals and brackets that I think are already mounted to the car and used to align the bumper and slide it into place so I don't think I need those. I might need the pieces that have the little flaps that stick down at each of the wheel wells, mine are all a little ragged.

Anything else? I plan to do a write up with pics when I get around to it. I think that even if I run into trouble I will just deal with it and try to get it fixed within the next day even if it requires going to the dealer.