Thread: 535i stalling while driving??

535i stalling while driving??

Hi all,
    my 535i automatic has the weirdest problem. Runs great, but all of the sudden while driving 70mph it did a 'hop' and that was it, that happened about 10 times or so..I thought it was bad gas. Then it just completely stalled, shut down while driving 30mph. I could start it up right away again. Now this happens regularly, while driving 20, 30 40, 50, 60, 70, 80..you name it, it does it. No pattern to it at all, not while breaking, steering, turning stuff on or off..nothing it just shuts down. My mechanic, did a full service, then changed fuel filter, distributor cap, fuel pump, relay .... and it STILL has this problem..ANY wisdom out there? Dagi
    Last edited by shogun; 01-15-2020 at 11:30 PM.

My Cars
    2011 535i XDrive
    Dagi, i see that was posted back in July, but just in case you are still having issue, i am having a very similar issue with my 2011 535i. My research and attempted fixes included, replaced Mass Airflow Sensor, Replaced Spark Plugs and Coil Packs. And pulled and cleaned the VANOS Solenoids. So the last task seems to have killed the motor. It won't start now. Lots of Crank but no Start. The next thing i'm going to try is the Camshaft sensors. There is a YouTube video showing the replacement. If you have found a fix for your issue let me know so we can learn from your experience.
    thanks!
    Last edited by shogun; 01-15-2020 at 11:29 PM.

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T

My Cars
    E34 540i6 M Sport
    Damn, nearly 18 years later...I wonder if the OP ever fixed it.

95 540i6 M Sport - 95 525it S52/OBD2 - 433k E36 328i5 - X5D that hit a pothole - IG: @justinmurray95

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    I will move it from E34 forum to the F10 forum, as that new question is for a 2011 535i.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    Not that I noticed til just now, but the question was asked two generations before the F10 even came out.

My Cars
    '11 Golf TDI+Porsche 996
    Quote Originally Posted by saspearl View Post
    Dagi, i see that was posted back in July, but just in case you are still having issue, i am having a very similar issue with my 2011 535i. My research and attempted fixes included, replaced Mass Airflow Sensor, Replaced Spark Plugs and Coil Packs. And pulled and cleaned the VANOS Solenoids. So the last task seems to have killed the motor. It won't start now. Lots of Crank but no Start. The next thing i'm going to try is the Camshaft sensors. There is a YouTube video showing the replacement. If you have found a fix for your issue let me know so we can learn from your experience.
    thanks!
    Back in July.......of 2002.
    I own mostly junk. Except the Porsche, that's kind of cool.
    All the motorcycles are trash which you can read about at
    http://oneguytwowheels.blogspot.com/

I'll update it eventually

Thansk