Page 35 of 51 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: The definitive subframe strategy thread

My Cars
    02 996 cab, 08 E350
    Just got my car back from having a single-ear RF kit installed. I'm located in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area and it took a bit of hunting to find a shop that I'd trust to do the work for a price that I could live with. I ended up at an all-purpose custom fabrication/painting/restoration shop in Savage called Classics Plus. I couldn't be happier with the work. It looks and feels first-rate, and came in on time and under budget. The rear end now feels like it's one piece--maybe those spins at the autocross weren't due entirely to driver rust and a heavy foot.

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster

Another one bites the dust

I caught it early. I've been regularly checking underneath my 2000 M Roadster and no signs of issues. Unfortunately in checking the trunk today I found a few spot-welds that have popped on the drivers side. e-mail already sent to Randy for the kit. In the meantime any other recommendations would be appreciated. I'll be dropping by the BMW dealer and have them take a look as well and see what they say. I'll let you know if there's anything good on this but not holding my breath... IMG_2009.jpg

IMG_2010.jpg

IMG_2011.jpg

IMG_6211 smaller.JPG

My Cars
    2000 M-Roadster
    Does anyone know of any fab shops located in or near Silicon Valley (CA) that have worked with and installed Randy Forbes' kit?

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    The second best installer on the planet is in Pleasanton; that close enough for you?

Performance Technic, talk to Joey ot Matt.

My Cars
    99 M Rdstr, 92 325ic,
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    The second best installer on the planet.
    I like how you put that. lol

My Cars
    2000 M-Roadster
    The second best installer on the planet is in Pleasanton; that close enough for you?

Thanks Randy! Yes, that's close enough. I think a friend of mine, Fred Matter, lives there.

UPDATE (10/16/2012): I just sent an email to Performance Technic to start the process!
    Last edited by dstraigh; 10-16-2012 at 06:29 PM.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M

Quote Originally Posted by Wojtek79 View Post
    I like how you put that. lol
    I admit, it's a small claim to fame, and virtually worthless unless you're a Z3/M enthusiast, but being the best on the planet for one single thing is better than nothing, and I'm not ready to give it up just yet.

Matt @ Performance Technic has probably done 25% of the amount of installs I've done, and he's way ahead of anybody else, so yes, 2nd best on the planet.

My Cars
    :sraC
    I admit, it's a small claim to fame, and virtually worthless unless you're a Z3/M enthusiast, but being the best on the planet for one single thing is better than nothing, and I'm not ready to give it up just yet.

Matt @ Performance Technic has probably done 25% of the amount of installs I've done, and he's way ahead of anybody else, so yes, 2nd best on the planet.
    Do you happen to know someone who can be considered '3rd best'? And would that 3rd best happen to be in the Southern California area?

If not, then a small vacation in NorCal it is while the M Coupe undergoes surgery.
    M3 E30 | 190E-16V | M Coupe E36/8 | S2000

Are there any good shops in the New York area that has done the randy Forbes kit on a m coupe? I'm in the Process of aquiring one and this is the first thing I'd like to do. Thanks
    Last edited by unclecreepy1; 10-24-2012 at 09:50 AM.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Mike Radowski (sp?) at Maxiumum PSI in New Jersey has done a few of them. That's about aS close as you're going to find an experienced shop.

Before moving from Ohio, I did a ton of cars from New York, so most owners brought them to me, versus looking for someone local.

My Cars
    2000 BMW M coupe
    wish randy was still in my area... heres my dilemma

My Cars
    00 M Coupe, 08 335xi

My Cars
    99 Mcoupe
    ^ Holy crap!!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtK0KMH-8xs[/ame]

My Cars
    98 Roadster 2.8L
    Is it me, or has someone attempted to fix that before with some extra bolts/nuts through the bracket? Looks like rusted nuts in the 2nd picture between the sway bar and the diff mount bracket?

With the entire subframe trough / crossmember torn like that, you 'might' need a fix more like the Vorshlag version on 'jajou318's evergreen coupe that replaces the entire crossmember: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1773492

My Cars
    2000 BMW M coupe
    no nuts and bolts just rusted beads from someone previously trying to fix it

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by kojohns View Post
    Is it me, or has someone attempted to fix that before with some extra bolts/nuts through the bracket? Looks like rusted nuts in the 2nd picture between the sway bar and the diff mount bracket?

With the entire subframe trough / crossmember torn like that, you 'might' need a fix more like the Vorshlag version on 'jajou318's evergreen coupe that replaces the entire crossmember: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1773492
    Don't sell me short...

Before:

After:

Nobody on our planet has fixed more of these than I have, and I'm not done yet.

My Cars
    2000 BMW M coupe
    randy your in Florida now correct? do you know anyone in the mid atlantic that has any experience installing your kits? Do you have an email i can contact you at about discussing options/purchasing a kit?

My Cars
    98 Roadster 2.8L
    Don't sell me short...

Nobody on our planet has fixed more of these than I have, and I'm not done yet.
    I'm not... and I agree... I believe he was looking for someone more local? It 'might' be easier for someone to rip and replace all than to install your kit with little to no experience. That was the line of thought since you were the sole installer for the area.

No doubt that your kit is the cleanest and most well thought out... otherwise I wouldn't have used it ;-)
    Last edited by kojohns; 12-06-2012 at 07:20 AM.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by strtsol1109 View Post
    randy your in Florida now correct? do you know anyone in the mid atlantic that has any experience installing your kits? Do you have an email i can contact you at about discussing options/purchasing a kit?
    Correct, Sarasota/Bradenton area (40 min south of Tampa's airport).

Thanks for asking: erandyforbes@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by kojohns View Post
    I'm not... and I agree... I believe he was looking for someone more local? It 'might' be easier for someone to rip and replace all than to install your kit with little to no experience. That was the line of thought since you were the sole installer for the area.

No doubt that your kit is the cleanest and most well thought out... otherwise I wouldn't have used it ;-)
    My bad; sometimes the intent of the post gets lost in the words, and I may have been too quick to respond...

My Cars
    98 Roadster 2.8L
    My bad; sometimes the intent of the post gets lost in the words, and I may have been too quick to respond...
    No worries, I was too quick to respond as well and didn't lay out my reasoning for the 'might' quotations. Too much hidden meaning in those little punctuations ;-)

My Cars
    Several
    Quote Originally Posted by bryancking View Post

Yep, I saw that you moved to warmer climes. Hope you are enjoying sunny Florida! I'm still debating if I am even going to do the repair at all. I'm not sure I can justify the expense.
    Harrison Motorsports in Atlanta *reportedly has done the dual ear before and I believe the car is still local to ATL. Costs are probably about the same (vs. shipping it to Randy).
    Last edited by adonnan; 01-04-2013 at 12:02 PM.
    "If the Corvette is a rebellious child of the extended automotive family, the M coupe is the blackest of sheep." - via Car & Driver

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by adonnan View Post
    Harrison Motorsports in Atlanta has done the dual ear before. I may have them do mine soon.
    david is a great guy!

My Cars
    2002 M Roadster

Randy, Joey and I are in the stages of getting my car to surgery. Thanks Again.

Last edited by M Roadster; 01-12-2013 at 09:46 PM.

Mods: Kumho ECSTA MXs (stock sizes), H&R Coilovers, Turner Brake Package with Stainless Brake Lines

My Cars
    99 Mcoupe
    ^ Ouch! That's an ugly one.
    Congrats on getting the fix put in.

Mine started there and underneath in front of the crossmember. I tagged it with the MIG a few times as triage before going whole-hog on the RF kit.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by M Roadster View Post
    Randy, Joey and I are in the stages of getting my car to surgery. Thanks Again.
    Rcvd word last night; kit'll go out tomorrow or Tuesday. Thanks!

Yours will actually be the last one from the last (double) batch that I ordered before leaving Toledo. Same company is still laser-cutting them for me, but from a different location, and now they're being shipped, instead of me being able to go pick them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofast View Post
    ^ Ouch! That's an ugly one.
    Congrats on getting the fix put in.

Mine started there and underneath in front of the crossmember. I tagged it with the MIG a few times as triage before going whole-hog on the RF kit.
    Wow, no kidding, Matt's going to love that one!

Yes, rewelding the fractured spotwelds is only a stop-gap measure, at best. It's no substitute for a reinforced trunkfloor.

Do you find it makes the car go faster, since you're no longer worried about it?

Page 35 of 51 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast