Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast

Thread: The definitive subframe strategy thread

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by taiheung View Post
    What is your opinion on this method?
    My 1999 supercharged M Rdstr uses that configuration.

My Cars
    2000 Alpinweiss M Roadster
    Another member has entered this dubious club :-(

I purchased a 2000 M Roadster on ebay around Labor Day and tried to convince myself that this problem only affected a few folks who had been abusing their cars and that I didn't have to worry. Unfortunately, while poking around under the trunk liner yesterday, i discovered a signifiicant tear of the longitudinal seam weld joint along the left side of the trunk floor.

I've listed my name and situation on the Class Action Attorney's web site and will be discussing the situation with my local BMW Center on Monday.

Are there any other engineers here who have done any objective thinking about the loading conditions in play here and other options regarding repair and prevention?

damn!!
    Last edited by lcjhnsn; 11-19-2006 at 08:30 PM.
    Lance J -
    BMW CCA - Connecticut Valley Chapter
    President & Newsletter Editor
    Toy - 2000 Supercharged M Roadster
    Utility - 2003 325xiT

My Cars
    99 Mroadster, 89 325is, 87 325is
    Updated my previous post guys!! FYI

My Cars
    99 M Rdstr, 92 325ic,
    I was just thinking, and wanted to ask if a car has a good subframe, would switching to a dual ear diff help prevent damage?

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by Wojtek79 View Post
    I was just thinking, and wanted to ask if a car has a good subframe, would switching to a dual ear diff help prevent damage?
    Done appropriately, yes.

My Cars
    '00 Z3-2.8L Roadster, '01BMW 330i & '01Tacoma 4WD
    Quote Originally Posted by taiheung View Post
    Randy are you referring to reinforcing just the one diff mount?
    This was conducted by the BMW Dealership back in 2001.
    They doubled up on the brackets. Took one and welded onto the damaged unit. No issues since then.

Here is my writeup on this.
    Z3Power.net - repair of subframe
    Ciao! - - Nathan

2000-2.8L Z3 StahlGrau Roadster, #65 - SM2 and a 2007 335i (BONE STOCK!)
    BMWCCA Tejas Chapter & iZ3 Project Coordinator for the San Antonio Area.
    FEAR MY TWO SEATER!!!!!!!
    Hello, I'm a MOD-A-HOLIC, check out my site to see my addictions! www.z3power.net

Member Since May 30, 2002

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe

Add Z8s?

I had read where the aluminum chassis on the Z8s are bending -- obliterating the value of the car. If so, it seems that BMW has some real chassis issues on limited production cars. Maybe the Z8 could be additional proof of that.

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
    Thank you for the comments. This issue is the only thing holding me up from pulling the trigger on one of these cars. I've got a call in to Dinan to find out more about their diff reinforcement kit and the labor cost to install.
    I installed one on my 2000 M coupe. The guy who did it was a body shop that specialized in Bimmers. He was pretty impressed with the Dinan setup.

My Cars
    S54 M-Coupe (Estoril Blu
    any Pics of the Dinan set up?
    Maddog

My Cars
    2015 435i ZHP

My Cars
    01 BMW M Coupe, 04 Saturn Ion (Ride Beater)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000Z3M View Post
    MY car is finaly going to get fixed!!!!!
    About time man! When are you going to be deployed? Any chance of stopping by soon???
    2001 BMW ///M Coupe Estoril Blue (E36 - S54) Dinan Stage 2 Software, RW diff of 3.46
    Drive It Like You Stole It!

My Cars
    03 Saturn L300,04 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Hemi

Question Where to look for Subframe Problem

Hello,
    New to this Bimmer forum and this is my first post.

I am considering buying a 2000 Z3 from a local Dealer and want to make sure I don't have the sub frame problem before I buy the car. I have read some of the posts and from what I gather I can detect a problem if I look in the trunk under the trunk liner....is this correct??
    Is there another place I can look without taking the wheels off or anything like that since the car is sitting on the dealers lot.
    I love the car and it has LESS than 10,000 miles on it, but don't want to run into a problem.
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

My Cars
    S52 M Roadster, WRX,
    Quote Originally Posted by hognfrog View Post
    Hello,

I am considering buying a 2000 Z3 from a local Dealer and want to make sure I don't have the sub frame problem before I buy the car. I have read some of the posts and from what I gather I can detect a problem if I look in the trunk under the trunk liner....is this correct??
    Is there another place I can look without taking the wheels off or anything like that since the car is sitting on the dealers lot.
    I love the car and it has LESS than 10,000 miles on it, but don't want to run into a problem.
    with under 10k miles, I would be shocked to see any damage. If you would like to take a look.

-Open trunk
    -lift carpet floor
    -unscrew the drivers side tool tray and lift to expose the area most prone to damage. You will see a few spot welds about 3/4 the way back of the trunk.
    -Jason

Weekend Car

'99 Boston Green M Roadster - intake, M50 manifold, schrick cams, magnaflow exhaust, TCK D/A Coilovers 500/600, RD front bar, ltw flywheel & clutch, harddog rollbar, schroth harnesses, zionsville radiator, S54 oil cooler, stewart pump, etc ..... ~245rwhp

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by hognfrog View Post
    Hello,

Yes, as Jason says, not likely, here's where you want to look (this is a Z3 Coupe picture__thanks to speed of sound__but the Rdstr looks identical).

Welcome to the forum, and don't let the trunkfloor issue throw you off, they're still great cars!
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    03 Saturn L300,04 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Hemi
    Wow,
    Fast on the reply.
    I am doing a little price researching to determine what I should "offer" the dealer on this Z3. I looked it over on the lot and could not find a mark on it. Even the nose is clean, no evidence of repaint or anything.
    I think I will move forward on this and make my inspection and see what they have to say to my offer.
    Thanks again for all the help.

My Cars
    2001 2.5l Z3; 2000 Toyota Avalon XL
    Let us know if you buy. When your'e inspecting trunk, you may want to let them know that you are aware of this potential problem and its' cost to fix. ($3K) It may help you in your negotiations as you can be reasonable sure they know of this attribute and hope buyers don't.

My Cars
    1985 M635csi, 1998 M Roadster

Add me in to the list.

OK you can add my 1998 M Roadster to your list of failing subframes. The car has 65k on it as well as a Dinan Supercharger. Three spot welds in trunk are sinking and there is a tear on the diff mount. My email is carson.quinn@gmail.com

My Cars
    M roadster 1998
    Hi folks,
    My name is Max and i am 17, I have bought a 1998 m roadster last summer and guess what the subframe failed. It has 117000 miles and the modification are dinan chip, and air intake. Now i am already trying to fix it on my own but it is really a mess a lot worse than what i have seen on youre cars. I have been talking whit my dad about the problem and he told me to maybe make a mold and die cast a all new subframe or just add some torsional strenght to the subframe, anyhow i need the dimension of the subframe but because mine is really badly hurt i was wondering if you had the dimension????
    thank you
    Max
    My email is mgarau7@hotmail.com
    P.S sorry about the english I am french:S

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxspeed View Post
    Hi folks,
    My name is Max and i am 17, I have bought a 1998 m roadster last summer and guess what the subframe failed. It has 117000 miles and the modification are dinan chip, and air intake. Now i am already trying to fix it on my own but it is really a mess a lot worse than what i have seen on youre cars. I have been talking whit my dad about the problem and he told me to maybe make a mold and die cast a all new subframe or just add some torsional strenght to the subframe, anyhow i need the dimension of the subframe but because mine is really badly hurt i was wondering if you had the dimension????
    thank you
    Max
    My email is mgarau7@hotmail.com
    P.S sorry about the english I am french:S
    You may have your own reasons for wanting to do it that way, but I can't help but think it would just be easier to buy my reinforcement package and patch up what you have. Once the kit is installed, the OEM crossmember is little more than a dust-cover anyway, so it matters little that it's patched together.

Naturally, this is a biased opinion...

Follow along with the latest car I'm working on at http://www.rfdm.com/gallery/album55 though there won't be too much progress over this weekend.

My Cars
    M roadster 1998
    Thanks for the quick reply too bad you don't have the dimension. How much would your package cost and can do you the fix ? If you can how much would it cost?

Max

P.S:i forgot how much does the differential cover whit 2 attach point cost?

My Cars
    M roadster 1998
    I have added some pictures of the car and the subframe on that site if you want to check it out.
    s117(dot)photobucket(dot)com/albums/o65/Maxspeed7/

Max

My Cars
    S54 M-Coupe (Estoril Blu
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    You may have your own reasons for wanting to do it that way, but I can't help but think it would just be easier to buy my reinforcement package and patch up what you have. Once the kit is installed, the OEM crossmember is little more than a dust-cover anyway, so it matters little that it's patched together.
    i agree with Randy.

after looking at solutions from different manufacturers. i chose Randy's Kit, do to the fact that it was the Best (IMHO).

i can't see anyone trying to come up with their own solution. since there is a repair kit that is well made already on the market and readily available.

just my 2 cents.

and Good Luck in fixing your car. it's worth it!
    Maddog

My Cars
    '14 535i, '13 X5 3.5
    well since i had some time today, i checked my rsm's along with my subframe. everything seemed ok for now, but i would still like to get randy's kit asap!

hopefully in another month or two i'll be able to get it.

question: has anyone done this fix, and tried to get bmw to reimburse them? granted, it's probably a hail mary, but don't you think it's worth a shot?

randy - with your kit, what type of after market exhausts are we limited to? i would like to go active auto down the road...

thanks!

-mike

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by MP525i View Post
    well since i had some time today, i checked my rsm's along with my subframe. everything seemed ok for now, but i would still like to get randy's kit asap!

hopefully in another month or two i'll be able to get it.

question: has anyone done this fix, and tried to get bmw to reimburse them? granted, it's probably a hail mary, but don't you think it's worth a shot?

randy - with your kit, what type of after market exhausts are we limited to? i would like to go active auto down the road...

thanks!

-mike
    I got my local dealer to install my kit on both of my cars. That was the (un)official endorsement that I was on the right track with my design. They were prepared to cut the car(s) in half and install the entire new rear clip. When they saw the reinforcement, there was no question about which would be the better long-term repair (same problem in a few more years with the new clip).

DragonM had my kit installed by a local SoCal collision repair shop and (had to go to court, but) was reimbursed by BMW. Do a search on Bimmerforums for details.

As for the exhaust, any aftermarket system that has the tailpipes entering the muffler can in the center to outboard portion of the oval will work. The OEM exhausts have the pipes entering the mufflers on the extreme inboard side of the oval, by comparison.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxspeed View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply too bad you don't have the dimension. How much would your package cost and can do you the fix ? If you can how much would it cost?

Max

P.S:i forgot how much does the differential cover whit 2 attach point cost?
    I don't post prices on the forums, as I'm not a supporting sponsor, but you can E-mail me and I will reply with a canned pdf that outlines the work.

Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast