Page 46 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2136373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 1258

Thread: The definitive subframe strategy thread

My Cars
    2018 Prius
    RF is undergoing surgery last time I emailed him. Still emailed me back down to hours pre-op. RF Kits are reasonably priced. I do not own an M Coupe... yet

My Cars
    JK, SE30, Motorhomie
    Had to find out ours has a problem in a really shitty way. Going to get it fixed, but will only be to turn into track car.
    Yep, its broken....

My Cars
    '98 & '99 Z3 M
    Good evening Z3(///M) family - has anyone been in contact with the Great and Powerful Oz - I mean Randy? Hope he is well, I know he had surgery over the summer last year.

Keep safe!
    2016 Land Rover LR4 Landmark
    2009 135i / Alpine White / Terracotta / Dinan Stage 2
    1999 Z3M Roadster / Imola Red II / Black
    1998 Z3M Roadster / Estoril Blue / Blue Black

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    Quote Originally Posted by Z3MUSN View Post
    Good evening Z3(///M) family - has anyone been in contact with the Great and Powerful Oz - I mean Randy? Hope he is well, I know he had surgery over the summer last year.

Keep safe!
    He has posted on the forums recently.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 2.8
    I bought my '98 2.8 six years ago with under 10,000 miles on it. Since I paid a couple grand less than I expected, the first thing I did was bring the car down to Randy and have him install the reinforcement. Yes, it cost a good bit of money, but I was still under my budget, and Randy did an excellent job on the installation. I did this because I almost bought an M roadster with half the trunk floor ripped out. Luckily, I read about the issue on this forum, and inspected the trunk floor before purchasing. Glad I did. Did the reinforcement add value to the car? I assume it did, but I could care less. I now know I will never have to worry about it failing, and I can enjoy driving it for the next 20 years...

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M Roadster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Z3MUSN View Post

Keep safe!
    He messaged me this morning via. Facebook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster,'07 328i
    Apologies if this is a member of this board, but what are your opinions of this subframe fix?

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...m/2393206.html

The text states its a Forbes kit but the ears that connect to the differential look like the stock stamped ears? And the inside, the pic is inconclusive, would be better if it showed more of the rails on the sides, the main section doesn't really look like a Forbes style?

Mods if this is inappropriate to discuss a current listing, please delete the post. I just thought it was a good example that we can all learn from.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    It looks like Randy's kit.

It doesn't look like Randy's welding.

/.randy

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M-Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by sydjai View Post
    Apologies if this is a member of this board, but what are your opinions of this subframe fix?

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...m/2393206.html

The text states its a Forbes kit but the ears that connect to the differential look like the stock stamped ears? And the inside, the pic is inconclusive, would be better if it showed more of the rails on the sides, the main section doesn't really look like a Forbes style?

Mods if this is inappropriate to discuss a current listing, please delete the post. I just thought it was a good example that we can all learn from.
    I have the RF kit installed. This, however, looks like someone stole and\or installed *parts* of Randy's kit.
    Last edited by ProductUser; 04-15-2020 at 06:03 PM.
    Tony
    "You can't sign away negligence."

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    What parts are missing? Before you say the double ear mount, remember that it is optional. You get either the double ear or reinforcing parts for the original single ear. There are some armchair-engineers that have looked at the force vectors involved and are not convinced the two ear is stronger. The two ear for sure hammers on the diff cover gasket. And two ear is not legal for autocross / Solo. This car has the reinforced single ear version.

/.randy

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster,'07 328i
    During the research that I did, I thought the ear (or Randy you called them pendants once) looked like this (I stole the picture from earlier in this thread). I’ve also seen some builds where the factory stamped bracket was used like in the for sale link that I posted. Which one is the more current design?
    8BB1BF65-9D62-4A93-BB65-E70C19846C27.jpeg

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    As I said, there are two options. They are BOTH "current design". Many have the notion that since 2 is bigger than 1 in most parts of the English speaking world, it *must* be better. That's not necessarily true. But leaving the engineering out, a dual ear is not legal SCCA, or any org that plagiarizes the SCCA rules. Hence the need for both designs.

Edit, in case it's not clear, your picture is one side of a dual ear mount.
    Last edited by rf900rkw; 04-16-2020 at 10:31 AM.

/.randy

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M-Roadster
    This picture doesn't look right.

Capture3.jpg
    Tony

My Cars
    98 M Rdstr
    My car has Randy's work installed within the past few weeks. Subframe pics start on page 9.

http://spcarsplus.com/piwigo/picture...1/category/430

'98 RMS stage 2+++++(491whp/390tq VAC cams, CES Cutring-9:1, Built blower, Meth etc)
    '09 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt 1 of 1(Built Motor, Brembos, LSD, the works!)
    '22 Cadillac CT4-V BlackWing 6mt
    '22 Cadillac CT4 2.0T Sport AWD (wife's)

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    I see lots of globular welding that has been ground down. And it looks like they didn't do a very good job of truing the trunk floor before installing. Or cleaning the seam sealer out. But I don't see anything that makes it inauthentic.

/.randy

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    It looks like Randy's kit.

It doesn't look like Randy's welding.
    The welding (and lack of it, in places) does leave something to be desired. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
    My car has Randy's work installed within the past few weeks. Subframe pics start on page 9.

http://spcarsplus.com/piwigo/picture...1/category/430
    It should be pointed out that on this particular car, I only installed the trunk floor portion of my reinforcement kit. A previous owner had a "fix" done by an M CAR shop in the NE; after pointing out several spot welds that subsequently failed after the previous "fix" the owner elected to have me correct the short comings of the previous work. Since the underside and modifications to the diff mount remained solid__and would've been a real painintheass to cut/grind out, not to mention time consuming__the underside was left alone. I did however do a proper cleaning and preparation for epoxy-chromate primer (PPG DP40/402) seam-sealing, undercoating and final topcoat to match original finishes, as the reworked area was showing signs of surface rust, and sealer and paint flaking off exposing unprotected steel.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M-Roadster
    Agreed. Please disregard my previous comment on the validity of the installed RF kit
    Tony

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post

It should be pointed out that on this particular car, I only installed the trunk floor portion of my reinforcement kit. A previous owner had a "fix" done by an M CAR shop in the NE; after pointing out several spot welds that subsequently failed after the previous "fix" the owner elected to have me correct the short comings of the previous work. Since the underside and modifications to the diff mount remained solid__and would've been a real painintheass to cut/grind out, not to mention time consuming__the underside was left alone. I did however do a proper cleaning and preparation for epoxy-chromate primer (PPG DP40/402) seam-sealing, undercoating and final topcoat to match original finishes, as the reworked area was showing signs of surface rust, and sealer and paint flaking off exposing unprotected steel.

Um, hi. I'll sit down now.

/.randy

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC

I know how you feel Randy. In the construction business I always hated going in and fixing someone else's shoddy work because once you touch it, it seems to become your baby!

My Cars
    98 M Rdstr
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    Um, hi. I'll sit down now.

He(RF) was talking about my car, not the hacked up one from earlier on this page.

'98 RMS stage 2+++++(491whp/390tq VAC cams, CES Cutring-9:1, Built blower, Meth etc)
    '09 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt 1 of 1(Built Motor, Brembos, LSD, the works!)
    '22 Cadillac CT4-V BlackWing 6mt
    '22 Cadillac CT4 2.0T Sport AWD (wife's)

My Cars
    1999 Z3 M Roadster
    Hello from Sweden!

Just bought a 99 S50 M Roadster and found this little guy in the trunk . Car has just over 100k kilometers on it, and very well maintained otherwise.

IMG_5180.jpg IMG_5181.jpg IMG_5306.jpg

Judging by comments around here, I caught it early. Anyone have experience getting this fixed up in the nordics?

IMG_5072.jpg

A photo of the car.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackBrian View Post
    Hello from Sweden!

Just bought a 99 S50 M Roadster and found this little guy in the trunk . Car has just over 100k kilometers on it, and very well maintained otherwise.

IMG_5180.jpg IMG_5181.jpg IMG_5306.jpg

Judging by comments around here, I caught it early. Anyone have experience getting this fixed up in the nordics?

IMG_5072.jpg

A photo of the car.
    I brought your post to the attention of someone I know in Sweden. I did his car when I lived in Ohio and he was working in Michigan. He has since done a Coupe for himself, so he's very familiar with the repair and reinforcement.

Maybe if you offer to buy him a lunch and you can discuss the possibilities...?

My Cars
    1999 Z3 M Roadster
    I brought your post to the attention of someone I know in Sweden. I did his car when I lived in Ohio and he was working in Michigan. He has since done a Coupe for himself, so he's very familiar with the repair and reinforcement.

Maybe if you offer to buy him a lunch and you can discuss the possibilities...?
    Thanks for that Randy. Hope he is located in the south .

My Cars
    E36/7, X4 M40i
    Hej Göteborg,
    I'm on the other coast, near Karlskrona. Are you a member of the BMW Z-Gruppen Sweden on FB? If not, you should be. Lots of help there. My email is donlundm3@hotmail.com. I have one kit left.
    Last edited by Donlundm3; 04-17-2020 at 03:45 AM.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Donlundm3 View Post
    Hej Göteborg,
    I'm on the other coast, near Karlskrona. Are you a member of the BMW Z-Gruppen Sweden on FB? If not, you should be. Lots of help there. My email is donlundm3@hotmail.com. I have one kit left.
    Cheers. Sent you an email.

Page 46 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2136373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast