Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: The definitive subframe strategy thread

My Cars
    1997 Alpine White M3
    Quote Originally Posted by z3speed4me
    as a token of thanks...bringin tom, the body shop manager at my dealer a big 1.5 bottle of grey goose right now...
    Nice

My Cars
    Volvo S40, Chevy Pickup, 91 MR2T
    Any updates on this? The posts just stopped all of a sudden. Anyone have any new news?

My Cars
    Volvo S40, Chevy Pickup, 91 MR2T
    sorry, i was looking at the dates all wrong. lol.

Paradise Hotel located on Temptation Island
    My Cars
    '
    How much does this problem usually cost to fix from a BMW dealer or a similar shop?

BMW Cigar And Gun Club Member #7

My Cars
    98 328 conv (wifes) & 98 M Roadster (mine)
    Quote Originally Posted by dave is cool
    How much does this problem usually cost to fix from a BMW dealer or a similar shop?
    I was quoted by the manager of the body shop (BMW certified & used by the local dealer) that it would be $1000 to fix it back to factory. Randy Forbes has a real fix for $500 (parts only) and either a trip to his place or using a local welder.......

Chris

My Cars
    E36 M3's and E46 M3
    Right now, its going to cost me aroun $2600 to repair and reinforce with Turner kit. I filed my complain with NTSA and I hope they can do something about this (which I know, probably wouldn't add up to much).

My Cars
    2015 435i ZHP

My Cars
    BMWs and Mini's
    Photos of a 2000 328 we have in the shop today for repair...
    81,000 miles, stock suspension.

Left rear mount:

Right front mount (Diagonally across.):

Turner Motorsport
    / // Parts and Performance for BMWs
    16 South Hunt Road
    Amesbury, MA 01913
    800-280-6966
    info@turnermotorsport.com

My Cars
    98 328 conv (wifes) & 98 M Roadster (mine)
    Seems the BMW engineers must have skipped the classes on "statics & strengths of materials" in school....

Of course, its not their fault, all of these types of failures are obviously cased by car accidents......

BMW = Bare Minimum Welds

Chris

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by dugmar
    Photos of a 2000 328 we have in the shop today for repair...
    81,000 miles, stock suspension.

Left rear mount:

Rust around the edges indicates how long it has been in the act of failing.

I recommended your kit to the owner of a 97 M3 a couple days ago; hope you can do the same for me when it comes to the Z3/M platform.

My Cars
    BMWs and Mini's
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes
    Rust around the edges indicates how long it has been in the act of failing.
    For sure, it has been this way for a while. Scary, since the car only has 81K on it.

Turner Motorsport
    / // Parts and Performance for BMWs
    16 South Hunt Road
    Amesbury, MA 01913
    800-280-6966
    info@turnermotorsport.com

My Cars
    M
    Z8 now exhibiting frame damage issues. I guess the "ultimate driving machine" is for a limited time only (before it starts falling apart).

Here is the link to Bimmerfest that has the information about the Z8 with structural design flaw.

<a href="http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127865">Flagship Z8 with structural design flaw</a>

Too bad the Z8 guys didn't read the Z3 threads

My Cars
    03' M3, 00' M Coupe, 99' MX-5, S-13 Fully Built
    We have two Coupe's now, 1 is on the way hopefully no-issues!

My Cars
    03' M3, 00' M Coupe, 99' MX-5, S-13 Fully Built
    Randy Forbes, where are you located?! We are picking a PY Coupe in MN this weekend! Going to Hamilton, Ohio to 1gracing where we will get a chance to test the Noble M12 & M400! WHoo hoo, can't wait!

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by LilBad//M
    Randy Forbes, where are you located?! We are picking a PY Coupe in MN this weekend! Going to Hamilton, Ohio to 1gracing where we will get a chance to test the Noble M12 & M400! WHoo hoo, can't wait!
    Toledo (practially a suburb of Detroit). Might be an interesting weekend to stop by...

Trying to get Daniel to come down and see the new place, and I'll have a new two (2) post lift in the garage, if not yet installed (was supposed to happen tomorrow, but the installer hurt himself on another job today and can't make it).

But by all means, if you're passing through this way, do stop in (PM me for phone # & directions).

My Cars
    S52 M Roadster, WRX,
    Quote Originally Posted by LilBad//M
    nice, when I lived in Cincy, I often saw thoe guys running around in ther Nobles, Daytona coupes, and cobras. I even held my own auto-xing with them.
    -Jason

Weekend Car

'99 Boston Green M Roadster - intake, M50 manifold, schrick cams, magnaflow exhaust, TCK D/A Coilovers 500/600, RD front bar, ltw flywheel & clutch, harddog rollbar, schroth harnesses, zionsville radiator, S54 oil cooler, stewart pump, etc ..... ~245rwhp

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Does this problem extend to 01-02 model years (mine is 01)? As I scan the many posts, I have not seen anything later than model year 2000.

One day I noticed a 1/4 inch gap between trunk lid and body on the right side. I had thought it was valet parking, but now I have concerns that possibly this is a symptom, too.
    2001 M Roadster
    Imola Red w blk/dk gray int

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by BillF
    Does this problem extend to 01-02 model years (mine is 01)? As I scan the many posts, I have not seen anything later than model year 2000.

One day I noticed a 1/4 inch gap between trunk lid and body on the right side. I had thought it was valet parking, but now I have concerns that possibly this is a symptom, too.
    That's Daniel's 02 in my signature pic. His was a pre-emptive repair (and I made him a sweet deal for being a Guinea-Pig).

My 01 was the motivation for developing something stronger than what the cars came with; it was just starting to pull spotwelds when I discovered it.

I've done several more S-54 models.

My Cars
    2006 M Coupe, 1949 Cadillac
    Randy, Have you ever made an observation about failures in cars with the Strong Strut butt strut installed?

My Cars
    2007 Z4M
    Randy -

I just purchased a S52 coupe Can you email me details on the cost of your kit and the installation instructions as well as what you normally charge for the job ?

-Wes
    wesbourne@gmail.com

My Cars
    BMW
    Guys, sorry I'm a bit confused. What brings on the subframe failure? My mechanic says we're not in any danger due to the fact we don't push the M too hard. Is this true? Under what conditions to the cars begin to suffer from subframe failure??

My Cars
    S52 M Roadster, WRX,
    Quote Originally Posted by parisparkjob
    Guys, sorry I'm a bit confused. What brings on the subframe failure? My mechanic says we're not in any danger due to the fact we don't push the M too hard. Is this true? Under what conditions to the cars begin to suffer from subframe failure??
    cyclic fatigue. The harder you drive it, the faster it fails, but even potholes and such can bring this failure over time.
    -Jason

Weekend Car

'99 Boston Green M Roadster - intake, M50 manifold, schrick cams, magnaflow exhaust, TCK D/A Coilovers 500/600, RD front bar, ltw flywheel & clutch, harddog rollbar, schroth harnesses, zionsville radiator, S54 oil cooler, stewart pump, etc ..... ~245rwhp

My Cars
    The Clown Shoe
    Reading the case studies, seems like more are related to harder driving, but there were several whose owners claimed they did not drive very hard.

Basically, the body should not come apart like this. The cars are not even that old.

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe
    Well, I finally had a chance to look back there to see if I could find anything. I hear creaking and stuff from the back when driving, but I don't know if it's just plastic and crap rattling around or serious. I managed to get some of the carpet and plastic pieces up and didn't see any splits or cracks or anything. Underneath, no obvious failures.

Unfortunately, I wasn't sure how to get all the lining pieces up, since there are no obvious connectors on some of the pieces, and I didn't want to just start pulling everything apart. Similarly, underneath, I wasn't sure what to look at, though I looked around the diff as well as I could. Is there a how-to (pictures?) on how to pull apart the back and on where to look underneath? The page on largeglass.com with all the pictures is somewhat helpful, but the pictures tend to be closeups and I'm not sure where on the car I'm actually looking. I barely know what I'm doing and help is greatly appreciated! thanks

My Cars
    S52 M Roadster, WRX,
    Quote Originally Posted by optic
    Well, I finally had a chance to look back there to see if I could find anything. I hear creaking and stuff from the back when driving, but I don't know if it's just plastic and crap rattling around or serious. I managed to get some of the carpet and plastic pieces up and didn't see any splits or cracks or anything. Underneath, no obvious failures.

Unfortunately, I wasn't sure how to get all the lining pieces up, since there are no obvious connectors on some of the pieces, and I didn't want to just start pulling everything apart. Similarly, underneath, I wasn't sure what to look at, though I looked around the diff as well as I could. Is there a how-to (pictures?) on how to pull apart the back and on where to look underneath? The page on largeglass.com with all the pictures is somewhat helpful, but the pictures tend to be closeups and I'm not sure where on the car I'm actually looking. I barely know what I'm doing and help is greatly appreciated! thanks
    Here is the spot where most people see damage......

from in the trunk, looking toward the drivers side:

from under the car, taken from the driver'sside rear wheel well looking back toward (but above) the diff:
    -Jason

Weekend Car

Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast