Thread: Whats the best compression for turbo setup?

My Cars
    95 BMW M3,01 AUDI S4

Whats the best compression for turbo setup?

Im just wondering what compression u turbo bimmers are runing? and what u guy recomend? 8.5:1 what the lowest u can run?

My Cars
    Turbo M3, Cosworth Benzo
    I belive someone has a 7.9:1 compression with a gt35r.

The lower you go is not necisarily better.
    ///Andres
    11 X5d sport - daily tow rig
    09 335d - evolve tuned 327whp / 490wtq
    97 M3 - NASA TTB
    95 M3 Turbo - 3.0l s52, PTE74GTQ, AEM EMS & CDI, etc

My Cars
    '09 LS3 C6, '08 Trailblazer SS
    "Best compression" depends on your goals. Generally speaking, you will be able to make more total power with lower static compression and higher boost, but this sacrifices off-boost response and efficiency. Low static compression engines lose fuel economy due to their lower thermal efficiency off boost.

You should be able to make enough power to overcome the tires any time you want on stock compression with ~8psi if tuned properly. Beyond that, it's a game of compromises.
    ~Greg
    My "small" engine is now 6.0L
    '08 Trailblazer SS, '09 C6 Z51 (now with 600rwhp)
    Calibrated SuccessEFI Tuning Classes and Consulting
    Engine Management: Advanced Tuning

My Cars
    98AMG C55,99M3,412whp 95 AWD Eagle Talon Tsi
    Quote Originally Posted by eurotekm3
    Im just wondering what compression u turbo bimmers are runing? and what u guy recomend? 8.5:1 what the lowest u can run?
    To run more boost and stay somewhat reliable I'd say go anywhere from 8.5:1 to 9.4:1

2015 bmw 335i Msport Xdrive 6 speed

My Cars
    '99 M3
    [QUOTE=spooltime]

You should be able to make enough power to overcome the tires any time you want on stock compression with ~8psi if tuned properly. QUOTE]

I don't know if I'd go that far. 8psi is great, but its not "tire shredding" in 3rd kind of power. ..............at least mine isn't.
    TEC-3R, T4 GT40, WISECO, EAGLE, SUPERTECH, O-RING'D "FRANKENSTEIN" STROKER.

My Cars
    95 M3
    About how much boost will you be able to run at 8.5:1 compression?

My Cars
    02 IR
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwweberm#
    On a S50/S52 I’m sure with a good tune 20-25 PSI would be all possible, depends of course on what size your turbo is and a ton of other variables. There is no real set boost per CR that you can just pull out of a hat

Just about any boost in any compression (of course keeping it realistic) is possible.

The tuning is key here. Idealy when we build our cars (usually 2.0 4 bangers) we recomend keeping it in the low 9's. This keeps for pretty decent throttle response and a safe range for PUMP GAS. Pump gas is really the key word there. On race gas or higher just about anything is possible with the right ignition setup.

We have seen 13-15 PSI on pump gas in Honda motors on more then one occasion (we are talking 10: CR and up) but who knows how long that would last. The 4G63 (DSM, EVO's) will do an easy 18-20 pounds on pump gas (again with the right tune) with a decent size turbo. Im talking 50 trim, T3/T4 all the way up to GT35R's.

Choosing your compression ratio has many variables, what are you goals for the car? What gas and turbo are you going to run? What EMS are you going to run?

If your going to build a motor for boost and keep the car very street-able then stick to the low 9's or high 8's. The lower the go the worse the car feels when your OFF boost. Honestly in a E36, I Would take higher compression with lower boost any day of the week. It would just make for a better all around power band. Lower CR will allow you to use a bigger turbo and run higher boost levels but with more lag and loss of throttle response.

We have 4 bangers making 400+ WHP on pump gas with a low 9 CR setup with no knocking whatsoever. This is on CA 91 octane crap gas. (Most of these are tuned with an AEM EMS)

Lower CR = Safer, more boost somewhat more reliable. Less power per pound of boost. Will allow you to run more ignition timing on pump gas.

Higher CR = More power per pound of boost, Limited on pump gas, less boost, less timing but a better all around horsepower shape.

This subject is allot more complicated then what I have said, but that’s some basics to get your started.

Ed Hardy: Its like wearing a riced out civic.

2002 Imola Red M3
    2003 Evolution

My Cars
    Turbo M3, Cosworth Benzo
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwweberm#
    Pretty much what mr james bond dude said.You can run ungodly amounts of PSI though there but it all depends on the tune and what kind of exotic fuels you're running.
    ///Andres
    11 X5d sport - daily tow rig
    09 335d - evolve tuned 327whp / 490wtq
    97 M3 - NASA TTB
    95 M3 Turbo - 3.0l s52, PTE74GTQ, AEM EMS & CDI, etc

My Cars
    2016 435xi M Sport
    Jim Conforti wrote a short primer on what he calls "effective compression ratio" at http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=183985 Anyone figured out what sort of formula he was using for his calculations?