Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2002 Picture Thread

My Cars
    06' E46 M3, '98 M3 Sedan
    Last edited by shogun; 05-28-2020 at 06:43 AM.

As always you can find BMW Grills, BMW Lighting, and BMW Accessories and Chrome Bulbs at Stealth Auto.

My Cars
    '12 Caterham
    hahaha awesome!!!!!

Be a part of racing history - http://www.gofundme.com/TorMcIlroyRacing2013 and help me race in 2013.

My Cars
    74 2002, 72tii
    Hes using an early rear bar! US Spec bumpers FTW!

Pedro, your bmw1602.com forum seems to be down at the moment. I also noticed some time ago there wasnt any pictures showing up in your write ups that you posted in the forum. Would love to see the forum back up and running...

Cheers,
    Tom
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/1090578

72tii - Whitey
    74 - Blacky (resto)

My Cars
    06' E46 M3, '98 M3 Sedan
    might drop the forum thing... nobody was ever on it and I had tons of spammers attacking it all the time.....I might just replace it with a build blog .....

As always you can find BMW Grills, BMW Lighting, and BMW Accessories and Chrome Bulbs at Stealth Auto.

My Cars
    06' E46 M3, '98 M3 Sedan

wow!

more pics and info here......
    http://www.brunswickmotorsport.co.uk/

My Cars
    '12 Caterham
    mmmmm drool

Be a part of racing history - http://www.gofundme.com/TorMcIlroyRacing2013 and help me race in 2013.

My Cars
    74 2002, 72tii
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealthauto View Post
    might drop the forum thing... nobody was ever on it and I had tons of spammers attacking it all the time.....I might just replace it with a build blog .....
    As long as the information is still availible
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/1090578

72tii - Whitey
    74 - Blacky (resto)

My Cars
    76 Turbo 2002, 99 R1100S, 02 325it
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealthauto View Post
    more pics and info here......
    http://www.brunswickmotorsport.co.uk/

Are the blue bits still available for purchase somewhere? I really like that look Gruppe II look or whatever it is called.

My Cars
    '81 320/6 Baur
    Kurt, you can buy them here:

http://www.coupeguy.com/2002flaresairdam.htm
    HarryPR
    '81 320/6 Baur (#2569)
    BMW CCA # 19290

My Cars
    2003 M3
    that is teh sex!

85 318i- Sold

95 332is- Sold

95 Hellrot M3- Sold

1975 2002- Sold

2020 X3M Competition- Custom E85 Tune- Catless Downpipes- Custom DIY E85 Analyzer- Designed and printed Custom Air Scoops

2003 M3- Custom Rotrex Supercharger setup-AA Headers-Meisterschaft-Vorsteiner-Brembo-BBS-CSL

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryPR View Post
    Thanks Harry! Don't plan on doing anything new anytime soon, but if I ever decide to build a pure AutoX or track car that is the way I would definitely go.

My Cars
    2003 M3
    For the white/blue car above, what is the wheel/tire size and offset that would fill those flares? Every time I see these flares on a car, they grow on me. At first, they didnt look like the lines of the car. Meaning they are a bit round for such a square car but they have grown on me quite a bit over the past year.

85 318i- Sold

95 332is- Sold

95 Hellrot M3- Sold

1975 2002- Sold

2020 X3M Competition- Custom E85 Tune- Catless Downpipes- Custom DIY E85 Analyzer- Designed and printed Custom Air Scoops

2003 M3- Custom Rotrex Supercharger setup-AA Headers-Meisterschaft-Vorsteiner-Brembo-BBS-CSL

My Cars
    '81 320/6 Baur
    Quote Originally Posted by turb02 View Post
    For the white/blue car above, what is the wheel/tire size and offset that would fill those flares? Every time I see these flares on a car, they grow on me. At first, they didnt look like the lines of the car. Meaning they are a bit round for such a square car but they have grown on me quite a bit over the past year.
    The owner started a thread over at the FAQ which has some additional info on the car:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/...opic/t,305804/
    HarryPR
    '81 320/6 Baur (#2569)
    BMW CCA # 19290

My Cars
    '64 1800, '72 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by turb02 View Post
    15x10 with 275/35R15 will fit under those flares.

steve k.
    Last edited by steve k.; 05-20-2008 at 01:17 PM.
    Steve K.

BMW 2002 FAQ - most important tool in your 2002 box

My Cars
    2003 M3
    275's are massive! I assume you meant R15 and not 13? How is it on the bearings?

85 318i- Sold

95 332is- Sold

95 Hellrot M3- Sold

1975 2002- Sold

My Cars
    '64 1800, '72 Touring
    you are right, R15. a little typo. Almost a year on these wheels without any bearing issues. But i also never had bearing problems with 13x7.5 wheels and 225/50R13 tires. Keeping them properly lubed and tightened does wonders on their lifespan.

steve k.
    Steve K.

My Cars
    Steve,

Can you provide more specs on your exact wheel and tire setup front and rear?

What brand of wheel and tire are you running and what is the offset in front and back?

Thanks

2002/1600

Here is my 1600 Alpina lil beast........I dont take her out much anymore......

@170hp.....flared.....all the orig bits.....owned by Mr B/Mr Alpina.....the real deal. She has a nice racing provenance.

its all true...but its not mine!.....I was just dreaming..... geez I love it. I want to build one though from my 72....

lemme know if youd like more pics

..Shes for sale......@ 57 K eu w/ alpina lump and a spare non Alpina lump. @ 45k eu w/ non Alpina lump only.
    Last edited by jrkoupe; 05-21-2008 at 10:38 AM.

My Cars
    '64 1800, '72 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by kpolito99 View Post
    Steve,

Can you provide more specs on your exact wheel and tire setup front and rear?

What brand of wheel and tire are you running and what is the offset in front and back?

Thanks
    the wheels are 15x10 made by Jongbloed Racing out of Morgan Hill. The tires are Hoosiers A6 275/50R15.

The ofset is not known yet. I am still trying to figure out the optimal config. The high amount of grip is causing me to lift the passenger side of the ground during high speed right hand sweepers. I have widened the track by 1" and have nod had any problems yet, but i also have not ran into the too many high sped sweepers yet. The cool thing about jongbloed racing is that the guy there can change he wheel halfs for meif needed.
    Steve K.

My Cars
    1969 1602, 1998 M3 Sedan

Crazy turbo '02.....crazy swede's

Marcus Malteus’s Awesome one-off Twin-Turbocharged M3 Engine Tube-Framed 02 - While the styling is ........... controversial.....the engineering and fabrication is amazing...

Marcus brought his 02 over 10 years ago, back then it was a messily 1600 full of rust & only cost a few hundred pounds even with a broken gearbox.
    Now here’s the big clue; Marcus used to work for Koenigsegg & wanted to push the boundaries of car building morphing an 02 into this creation you see before you. This in fact is Marcus’s second go at the ultimate conversion of an 02, he now works for BSR Tuning in Malmo, a supplier of performance enhancing parts for a variety of modern cars, Marcus’s plan was to stuff as much technology as humanly possible into his 02.
    At the heart of this version No.2 is an S14 (M3 E30 engine to you & me) balanced engine with not one, but two Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (MHT) 15T Turbo-chargers that breath via custom made BSR air filters, with stock 9.5:1 pistons & fabricated alloy sump so that it can be tilted enough to provide clearance.

The head of course is polished, ported & using Kohler camshafts, & all this breathes through a custom made carbon air filter box.
    The exhaust system of course is polished stainless steel custom fabricated with twin-turbo manifold then exiting via a non-silenced side exhaust. In order to keep the inlet cool, Marcus cut down a truck intercooler & the radiator from a Volvo T4 unit complete with twin cooling fans, but they don’t fit under this 02’s bonnet. No this had to be redesigned to fit in the only other logical place – the boot with vents cut into the roof feeding cold air via large hoses to the radiator.

Engine management is controlled with a Nira i3 engine management system featuring full data logging, anti-lag & even launch control. It needs two exhaust gas probes & a Motec lambda sensor allowing Marcus to tune his S14 with a closed loop-system. Therefore, effectively mapping itself. When I met Marcus he claimed it had 400Bhp but as of yet this has to be tested on a dyno.
    Getting the S14 to fit into the 02 Marcus had to remove the firewall bulkhead, plus completely new suspension setup & brackets. “This meant chopping off most of the inner wings & chassis rails (shriek), then re-fabricating tubular wrap-around space-frame front end. According to Marcus the only original part is the bit under the rear seats, everything else had to be re-engineered completely in a tubular frame. He had to re-fabricate new engine mounts, suspension pick-up points & all the ancillary mountings. The only other problem was how to fit all the body panels.

“The solution was simple”, he laugh’s. The front panels are fitted using aircraft style Dzus fasteners, so in minutes the front is naked. It can even be driven minus the front panels, which is an un-nerving site.
    The transmission has to be capable of handling all that horse power, so he opted for a Getrag 262 from the 635Csi, then a modified M5 E28 propshaft to an original Tii LSD rear axle. Alloys are Compomotive split rims connected to E21 half-shafts. Bilstein Shocks all round with custom made springs, alloy adjustable front top mounts which allow for adjustments to the camber & castor.
    Steering is a modified Opel Astra steering rack that connects to the repositioned 02 steering column. Wait for it………………………… brakes are standard Tii (gulp) although with beefed-up racing pads, braided hoses & a Wilwood bias pedal box.
    The interior is a e46 style with Suede & carbon fibre panels displaying the Nira ECU readout & VDO Gauges.

Two Imola bucket seats keep you firmly in place once inside this pocket rocket, full hardness strap you in nice & tight, with a six-point full roll cage. Lightweight carbon fibre door panels, alloy checker plate floor pan, with fibreglass doors & plexiglass windows keep this 02 nice & light.
    Specifications:
    Engine:
    2320cc four cylinder, 16 valve S14, with balanced bottom end, Kohler camshafts, ported & polished cylinder head with three angle valve seats. Custom alloy sump from 635Csi, twin BSR air filters, twin Mitsubishi 15T Turbochargers running 0.6 bar of boost, 50 mm dump valve. M3 oil cooler, Volvo ignition coil pack, three Bosch fuel pumps (two 044 & one 040), 3” custom made exhaust system with side exit, twin Volvo T4 cooling fans, & boot mounted Volvo T4 modified radiator with quad air feeds from custom NACA ducts.
    Exterior:
    Modified Rieger MkIII Golf front bumper, Evo-2 bonnet scoops, Zender M3 arches, Modified MkIII Golf side skirts, Malagutti door mirrors, Modified M3 rear bumper, Modified rear wing, E30 single wiper, carbon fibre B-posts, Xenon headlights & resprayed in VW Reflex silver.

Interior:
    Cobra Imola bucket seats with 3-point Luke harnesses, modified Suede E46 dashboard, carbon fibre panels throughout, custom 6-point roll cage painted Volvo laser blue, Sparco two-spoke steering wheel, VDO gauges, E30 rear view mirror with map light, aero-spec wiring loom with carbon fibre fuse box, LCD Nira ECU display, Bluetooth data logging system with pocket PC, boot mounted battery & fuel tank.

69' BMW 1602 Vintage Racecar BS-L Racing w/ VARA in Cali (@1602racer on IG)
    10' Toyota FJ Pre-Runner (LS3 big suspension - @trophyFJ on IG)
    17' F250 6.7l Tow Rig and shop truck
    '12 X5d Wifeymobile
    89' M3 *Sold / 88' M3 *Sold / 98' M3 Sedan Sold / 06' M3 Comp.Pkg.SMG *Sold
    My 1602 race car build thread.

My Cars
    1969 1602, 1998 M3 Sedan
    more pics.......

'12 X5d Wifeymobile

My Cars
    1969 1602, 1998 M3 Sedan

paul cain's

In case any of you hadn't seen or heard of his car already.....

Paul Cain's Twin Turbo 2002.....Bimmerfest winner 2007

Paul Cain’s BMW 3002 tti L

We’ve just figured it out. The reason why folks like us have to find continued employment as writers and photographers is that people like Paul Cain and his brother Joe must have absorbed all of the available mechanical aptitude from the gene pool! There’s really no other explanation for why this particular 2002 exists and why we’re left snapping away madly while wondering which particular extremity we’d be happiest to part with in order to own it. Seriously, after seeing some of BMW’s recent designs, they could do worse than to employ these two useful gents on their design staff.

“But wait a minute!” you say. It’s only an old 2002. Perhaps it’s restored a little better than the rest, but still, a 2002 nonetheless. And that’s where you’d be wrong. Completely and absolutely one-hundred percent wrong! This particularly-beautiful, immaculately-polished mechanical conveyance has been transformed by the touch of these two brothers into a marvel of modern engineering. This isn’t idle hyperbole either. This is incontrovertible fact as we shall henceforth prove to you Doubting Thomases. You’re as unlikely to find a better 2002 as you would be to put on a dress and try to win the heart of Prince William!
    First though, a little background on Paul and Joe. These two enterprising individuals build cars the way Paris Hilton changes her wardrobe; thoroughly, expensively, and creatively. Paul’s prior creations include a 3.8 liter CSi coupe and an M50 single-VANOS 2.5L E21 320i (more impressive due to the modern engine and drive train he used). When pressed for a raison d’etre for this particular 02 project, he replied, “ After the Coupe and the M50 / E21, we wanted to do something very technically-challenging. I’d originally planned to install the all-wheel drive from an E30 3-series iX model.
    I wanted to do a one-off ‘modern 2002 Turbo’ with totally updated electronics and controls, and a twin-turbo setup for quicker spooling and better heat dissipation.” Paul eventually dropped the AWD design due to the unwanted weight it would add, the was caused by Joe’s insistence that a correctly engineered 2WD can be quick by being lighter. Joe’s logic won out and it started a major push to “add lightness” to the entire project. By solving the pivotal shift linkage issue Paul decided to create a “transaxle” car instead. Unfortunately, the last BMW built with a transaxle was the famous mid-engine M1. Sourcing an M1 transaxle was out of the question. Keeping the drivetrain all BMW was mandatory.
    The attention to detail is amazing.
    The answer to the shifer issue and the true beginning of this project was found in the way Getrag bores the shift linkage hole in the E30 M3 “265” transmission housing. Paul was looking at one he’d already purchased when he realized that the shift selector rod hole goes all the way through the casting from front to rear, and is capped with a plug on the bell-housing side. This meant he and Joe could mount the transmission at the rear, run a longer shift rod forward of the transmission, and still retain OEM crisp linkage feel. In fact, the shifter itself would remain in its stock location! That decided, Paul proceeded to purchase a very low-mileage (just 1000 miles on it!) M54 3 liter dual VANOS motor from a 2002 X5 (2002 into a 2002, get it?). He’d already sourced a very clean, Art Simmons-restored late-73 Square Taillight 2002 sedan. These are exempt from the post-1975 emissions laws, making them perfect for engine swaps. Beginning in 2001, he and Joe completely disassembled the car, and started chopping sheet metal with a Sawz-all, removing the firewall, transmission tunnel, most of the trunk, spare tire well and the floor beneath the rear seats.
    You can just make out the "twin turbo" embossed into the seat heat rest.
    The new M54 engine was set into the bay on custom wood fixture to determine the correct position. Four engine mounts were then fabricated and welded to the subframe and custom cross member. In its final location the block was 9 inches back in the firewall making room for the stock viscous fan and shroud. A custom rear sub-frame was constructed from two OEM ’02 subframes so that the entire assembly could hang from 6 factory rubber mounts. The E39 M5 differential (equipped internally with a Quaiffe torque-sensing unit) was mounted within the sub-frame, then the entire rear suspension was hoisted on a jig, and careful measurements were made above it. At a friend’s sheet metal workshop, Paul used amassed 230 cardboard templates over the 5 years to create the new metal needed to obtain the just-like-the-factory underbody appearance, yet properly hold the new mechanicals in proper alignment. The end result of his work is as amazing as it is thorough. A 37” Chromoly steel rod riding on needle bearings connects the transmission to the shifter with zero play. The fuel tank was cut in half (down to eight U.S. gallons) and moved closer to the rear axle. The spare tire well was eliminated completely. A 1985 528e/ M20 bell-housing (a one-year only part) was sourced to serve as the interface between the clutch and flywheel on the back of the engine and the intermediate shaft which leads to the transmission. A massive double bearing housing was designed and machined to support the driveshaft’s input to the transmission. Aft of the tranny, a small driveshaft was equipped with a rubber guibo before the mounting flange for the differential. Once all of the fabrication and welding was complete, Paul and Joe turned their attention to the engine bay once more.

Paul had chosen the M54 because it weighed in a mere 38 pounds more than the original M10 iron block. If they’d stopped there, it would STILL have been far more powerful than either the original 2002 or 2002 Turbo model. Twin custom-built KKK turbochargers were hung from modified OEM manifolds with a combination of 304 stainless and INCONEL exhaust flanges and bellows. The waste-gate was tied to both halves of the manifold above the valve cover, then shunted into its own mini-muffler and dumped back into the open air just past the turbos under the car. In addition to the two-into-one intercooler used behind the front air dam, an M5 oil cooler was used to shed heat the turbo bearings would be generating. The right front inner wheel arch sheet metal was cut away and reformed to allow room for exhaust tubing to exit the turbos. Eight separate pipes were required for the intercooler tubing. Paul and Joe fabricated a carbon fiber “CSL style” intake plenum then, in a whimsical twist, tagged it in German with a BMW Motorsport replica label which is one digit off from BMW’s own M3 CSL part number! A throttle body was sourced from a BMW M60 3.0 liter V8. 40 lbs/hour Bosch Motorsport injectors and electronic timing are controlled by an Autronic engine management computer. “This system reads all of the OEM Bosch sensors, controls the VANOS, provides electronic boost control and allows infinite control over timing and fuel maps. It is one of the few Non-OEM parts on the car and was the critical breakthrough in tuning and drivablility, It was very gratifying to cut the Siemans ECU module off and walk away from all the OBDII issues” Obviously, you can’t just “chip it” like any other car!
    No matter where one looks, amazing details jump out. Custom etching on the passenger’s door mirror reads “Objects in the mirror will disappear quickly”. Four engine mounts were used for the engine/bell-housing combo, and the entire unit sits nine inches farther back than stock. A ZF power rack and pinion from a Porsche 993 was installed in place of the original manual box steering, and requires only 2.1 turns lock to lock. The front hubs were machined from billet aluminum to E12 specs. Coleman 13.2 inch slotted, cross-drilled, cryogenically-treated, and gold irridite-coated rotors were mated to custom-offset hats from Ireland Engineering and paired with Brembo four-piston calipers for the front brakes. The car was recently corner weighted and is within a 30 lbs tolerance at all four corners. Weight distribution with driver is 50.2% Front / 48.8 % Rear. With this step completed, the Eibach springs were swapped for final rate adjustments and the Bilstein sport shocks were returned to Bilstein (San Diego) for custom valving to match the suspension travel and corner weight(s).

'12 X5d Wifeymobile

My Cars
    1969 1602, 1998 M3 Sedan
    The entire car was carefully prepped and sanded and then shot with Standox primer. Wurth “schutzing” was applied to the undercarriage and wheel arches. BMW Fjord Blue was applied (Standox) as a modern base coat/clear coat finish, wet-sanded and buffed to a gorgeous shine. Golden Auto Body in Costa Mesa did all the final prep and painting.
    Other items on the “would love to do it myself but can’t afford it” list include Joe’s hand-made carbon fiber bonnet and boot lids. The brothers borrowed Ireland Engineering’s fiberglass molds, repaired the few flaws in them then made their own parts out of tooling-quality square-weave carbon fiber, whilst integrating the original mounting bosses and latching mechanisms included. These aren’t your typical pin-on replicas! “There’s probably a couple hundred hours in each one of those pieces.” Paul reported, straight-faced. To be honest, we’re not even certain where to start with a specifications page, as any attempt to list the full modifications required to thoroughly modernize this car will fall short. It may not even be possible to fully describe how well it drives, but we’ll give it a shot!
    At this moment, on only six pounds of boost, it generates 330 horsepower worth of thrust at the wheels. Paul and Joe have planned to work out an off-idle hitch in the Autronics programming then will turn the wick up to 12 PSI! “I was impressed with how much power kids Japanese tuners were getting from these turbocharged Hondas, and I figured I could do at least as good with a BMW.” With an actual “wet” weight of 2740 pounds, each pony is pulling just 8 pounds. Acceleration is, needless to say, jaw-droppingly amazing. Despite its go-cart-like dimensions the ride was pleasant thanks to the Bilsteins; almost “plush” but not quite. Turn-in is immediate, without under steer. Using quality Michelin Pilot Sport ultra performance tires on BMW two-piece 17”x 7.5” and 8.5” wide rims helps tremendously as far as traction goes.
    The Brembos proved to be worthy of praise too, with instantly-controllable braking of the sort more common on race cars than street machines. With only limited time in the coupe, around the sedate streets of Irvine, California, a proper thrashing just wasn’t possible. Rest assured though, Paul will, in due course, provide all the necessary flogging. He’s not the sort to keep his cars locked in a museum, preferring instead to drive them to shows. In fact, the morning of our meeting, he was heading to the famous “Cars and Coffee” gathering in Irvine, where he’d planned to proudly display his creation among the Ferraris, Lamborghinis, and Porsches which frequent the informal show. A fine crowd for this finely-fettled little monster to terrorize!
    There’s the rub; most folks these days would simply prefer to purchase their performance wholesale. They open up a checkbook and sign on the dotted line for the hottest product available from their preferred brand. The manufacturers themselves know this, so product cycles have become increasingly shorter and cars laden with spiraling amenities. Will your next car deliver ice-cold spring water from a tap on the dash? Possibly so, if a “design committee” decides it would be a popular choice. That’s where modern cars have gone so wrong, and exactly what makes this remanufactured 2002 so perfect. It has all of the substance of a high-profile exotic with none of the mousey frills associated with Y2K and beyond. Paul and Joe, if they were truly wise, would garner some investors and set up a construction facility as soon as possible. The line to purchase the first one forms behind us!
    written by Eric Eikenberry
    Carbon-Fibre Bonnet & Boot lid custom made, as well as the inlet manifold & air box.

'12 X5d Wifeymobile

My Cars
    1969 1602, 1998 M3 Sedan
    Sandoval Ignacio's Alpina Hot Rod 2002
    (Sorry for the delay computer problems)
    ALPINA HOT ROD REPLICA
    A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO, AFTER LOOKING AT MANY CARS IN ORDER TO REPLACE MY LAST 02, I FINALLY FOUND A SOUND RESTORATION MATERIAL.
    A STOCK 02 FITTED WITH A 38MM DOWNDRAFT CARB, SHOWING A STRAIGHT AND RUST-FREE BODY.

THERE WERE SIGNALS OF NO MONEY INVESTED FOR A LONG TIME, THE BODY HAD A FEW DENTS AND THE PAINT (INKA COLOR) WAS IN VERY POOR CONDITION.

THE DAY AFTER PURCHASING THE CAR, I TOOK IT TO THE BODY SHOP FOR A COMPLETE RESTORATION JOB.
    WHILE THE CAR WAS AT THE SHOP, I SENT AN INTERNET PICTURE OF A RESTORED INKA 02 TO MY FRIEND GEORGE, A CAR NUT AND TANKER BROKER LIVING IN CONNETICUT. HE THOUGHT THE CAR LOOKED LIKE A HUGE MANDARINE. CONSEQUENTLY, I CONSIDERED THE IDEA OF DOING SOMETHING DIFFERENT TO THE CAR.

YEARS BEFORE, I HAD SEEN AN ARTICLE ON BIMMER MAGAZINE (APR99) ABOUT A BEAUTIFUL CAR BUILT BY JAYMIC, THE CAR WAS PAINTED IN ORANGE AND BLACK. THE ARTICLE ALSO INCLUDED INFO ABOUT AN ALPINA HOT ROD ROADGOING VERSION.

SINCE I COULD NOT FIND MY MAGAZINE, I KINDLY ASKED JAYMIC TO FORWARD ME SOME RELATED PICTURES. THEY SENT ME A VERY NICE PICTURE OF THE JAYMIC CAR, KEITH MORLEY WAS STANDING NEXT TO IT.

AFTER SHARING THE TWO COLOR OPTION WITH SOME FRIENDS AND INDUSTRY EXPERTS, THE DECISION WAS TAKEN, MY 02 WAS GOING TO BE REPAINTED IN COLORADO ORANGE AND BLACK. I CALLED THE SHOP AND INSTRUCTED THEM ACCORDINGLY.

A COUPLE OF MONTHS LATER THE RESTORATION JOB WAS FINISHED AND THE CAR LOOKED READY, AT LEAST THAT WAS WHAT I THOUGHT THEN.

THE FOLLOWING YEAR I DECIDED TO GIVE THE CAR A MORE AGRESIVE LOOK AND ORDERED A SET OF ALPINA WHEELS AND BUBBLE FENDERS. SOME HIGH PERFORMANCE PARTS WERE ORDERED AS WELL.
    TODAY, I THINK THE CAR LOOKS READY…

IT IS FUN TO DRIVE IT HARD, MAKES A LOUD SOUND AND FEELS PRETTY STIFF.

THE PARTS FITTED SO FAR, APPEAR LISTED BELOW.
    ENGINE COMPARTMENT
    HIGH COMPRESSION PISTONS,
    INTAKE
    DUAL SIDEDRAFT 40 DCOE WEBERS
    EXHAUST
    HEADERS
    2.5” DIAMETER MUFFLER
    SUSPENSION
    H&R LOWERING SPRINGS
    GAS SACHS FRONT / BILSTEINS REAR
    URETHANE BUSHINGS FRONT / REAR
    EIBACK 25MM WHEEL SPACERS
    INTERIOR
    02 TURBO STEERING WHEEL (PRESENT FROM A FRIEND)
    INERTIA SEAT BELTS
    EXTERIOR
    POLYURETHANE PAINT MATT BLACK
    WEBASTO FOLDING ROOF (NEW ROOF/OLD STOCK)
    ALPINA FLARES SCHWEINEBACKEN
    ALPINA STICKERS
    WHEELS
    ALPINA WHEELS 6.5X13
    MICHELIN TIRES 185/70 R13
    REPLACEMENT PARTS
    PINIONS, CHAINS, POLLEYS, HOSES, OIL PUMP,VALVES, SEALS, GASKETS, WASHER FLUID RESERVOIR , BMW STICKERS,BECKER MEXICO STEREO, FRONT SEAT COVERS, HEADLINER, CARPET, MAT SET, INDICATOR WIPER SWITCH, REAR-SIDE BUMPERS.

'12 X5d Wifeymobile

My Cars
    1969 1602, 1998 M3 Sedan

Clive Massel's 1971 BMW2002 Alpina racing car replica

Owner
    Clive Massel, 1988 South African Historic car champion
    Background
    Having won the 1988 South African Historic Championship in a BMW 2002 I was tempted after a break of some fifteen years to return to this very popular and competitive series. After much consideration, I decided to build an Alpina replica instead of the huge array of Porsche 911 derivatives now so common in South Africa.
    The South African series consists of the Production Car Touring Championship as well as a Trans am series.
    The Touring Car Championship is open to all production cars built or raced in South Africa or any where else in the world up to 1977.
    This series is based on 6 classes with classes determined by the lap time combination of car and driver.
    Depending on the driver you could have the same make of car in each class.
    The classes have break out times determined for the various circuits and if a car/driver combination go faster than the classified times, they are immediately placed in the next class.
    Our car was originally built for Class C which consists of Escorts, Alphas, Renault Gordini, Porches and other production vehicles typical of that era. However based on our current performance it seems that we will be moved to class B which consists mainly of Porsche and BMW CSL Batmobiles.
    The Transam series is divided into two categories only - V8 saloons and two litre vehicles.
    To make this series more competitive cars are restricted to pre 1971 and any car that exceeds the determined lap times for this series is eliminated from it.
    This is a new series in South Africa that is proving to be extremely popular and the sight of a BMW 2002 Alpina doing a giant killing act of beating the Mustangs and Comaras has the crowds on their feet.
    The Car
    In order to build the car as close as possible to the original Alpina version raced during 1969 to 1973 a left hand drive version was obtained. The car was totally stripped to a shell only and completely rebuilt to meet the South African regulations. The car has been officially registered with the South African Historic Racing Register. It has been painted in the traditional Alpina racing colours and much of the original signage has been copied to replicate the signage of the racing era of that time. The official number of the car is 202!
    Engine
    The engine produces in it’s current format a certified 190 horse power at the fly wheel.
    Maximum power is between 7.100 and 7,500 rpm
    The engine block is a 4 cylinder M10.
    A single Shrick 336 degree camshaft has been fitted with adjustable camshaft sprocket for varying valve timing.
    Compression ratio is 12.5:1.A fully worked and gas flowed cylinder head has been used matched to Ross racing pistons.
    Connecting rods are competition type fully balanced and lightened.
    The current motor uses 45mm Webber carbs but a set of 48 mm are currently being fitted.
    The engine is cooled with an E46 radiator and a big bore oil cooler has been fitted.
    Electronic ignition has been used in conjunction with a Tii distributor.
    The engine is fed by two electric fuel pumps obtaining fuel supply from a lightweight aluminium fuel tank.
    The exhaust is a custom built 4 into 1 big bore exhaust with no silencer.
    Suspension
    The front suspension has been completely re fabricated with South African made parts and is fully adjustable for castor and camber.
    Front camber of up to 6 degrees is easily achievable.
    Front shocks were taken from an E 36 and adapted to the 2002 with the wheel studs modified for a four bolt configuration.
    Shock absorbers are Bilstein all round.
    The front suspension has been considerably lightened and the car has been braced by a unique South African design suspension brace.
    The front suspension has been fully rose jointed and urethane bushings used throughout.
    The rear suspension is also fully adjustable and rose jointed.
    Brakes
    Front brakes are derived from a 325 shadow line suitably modified to fit the 2002.
    The standard master cylinder and brake booster are retained and an in car adjustable bias front to rear has been fitted.
    The front discs have been slotted and the disks were fabricated in South Africa.
    All hoses are aero quipped.
    The rear brakes are standard 325 disks using standard brake pads throughout.
    Drive train
    The car utilises a Getrag 5 speed dog leg gearbox coupled to a South African strengthened and designed prop shaft linked to either a 4.1 or 4.4 Ls original diff.
    A lightened competition flywheel and competition clutch is used.
    Wheels and tyres
    Front rims are BBS split rims originating from 1969, having been left in South Africa by one of the works teams competing in our famous 9 hour endurance race.
    These rims were found in a shed and were acquired by us “brand new and unused”
    Front rims are 7 inch matched to Dunlop racing tyres 185/55/15.
    Rear rims are 8 inch matched to Dunlop racing tyres 205/55/15.
    An additional set of Minilite rims were also obtained as well as a further set of genuine period Compomotive rims.
    A set of road semi slick tyres are used for wet weather conditions.
    Conclusion
    The car has been built to very high specifications and much attention paid to detail. Wherever possible original equipment and design has been retained especially relating to engine, gearbox and diff. The interior has been gutted, but the car is fitted with lightweight interior panels including rear seats to make it more authentic for the rules of the Trans am series.
    The car weighs in at 840 kg.
    The dash board has been retained, albeit with newer generation gauges. The car is lubricated with Castrol products only, keeping the traditional link between Alpina and Castrol during their racing association.
    The car is proving to be extremely fast and in it’s first three appearances has obtained pole position on all three occasions. The car will be campaigned in earnest next year and hopefully will be invited to the Goodwood Festival of Speed.
    In February we have our annual David Piper Festival series at both the Zwartkops and Cape Town circuits. This event is proving extremely popular with the overseas historic racing fraternity and there could be at least 15, V8 saloons participating in the Trans Am series from both America and the UK.

'12 X5d Wifeymobile

Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast