Thread: Yes Another Intake Question

My Cars
    2005 M3 IB ZCP

Yes Another Intake Question

I'm a newbie to the forums but I have done some research and read every posting under air intakes in the E46 M3 board. With that said I just have one question. Does anyone have insight as to which would be a better intake between the K&N 63 and the Turner Motorsports Intake.

I like the OEM look of the Turner, but it looks as though the K&N gives more power ( I have not seen a Dyno for this )

Any help would be appriciated

My Cars
    02 M3 SMG
    Looking at past threads, it looks like the AFE unit gets a lot of mention as well.
    02 M3 SMG - prepared class BMW Club racer
    08 135i - stock class BMW Club racer
    www.TotalMotorOils.us
    www.NittoTire.com
    photo gallery

My Cars
    E92 M3,335i, Odyssey
    Evosport did a shoot out. Not much difference between the K&N and AFE... except price.
    SOLD: '96 Artic Silver M3/2 Lux Click here for pic's. 2003 X5 4.6is: Nav, loading floor, comfort seats
    2007 E90 335i: Titanium Silver/Black/Aluminum trim, Sport, Premium, Heated seats (for the wife), iPOD, MORR VS7
    2011 E92 M3: Space Grey/Black/Blue aluminum trim, Premium, iDrive, DCT

My Cars
    02 M3 Blk/Blk 6MT, 04 M3 AW/Cin, SMG
    Quote Originally Posted by amalo
    I'm a newbie to the forums but I have done some research and read every posting under air intakes in the E46 M3 board. With that said I just have one question. Does anyone have insight as to which would be a better intake between the K&N 63 and the Turner Motorsports Intake.

I like the OEM look of the Turner, but it looks as though the K&N gives more power ( I have not seen a Dyno for this )

Any help would be appriciated
    I have the K&N69 on my car. I installed it before the 63 came out. If you want the K&N63, check out www.custom-performance.net. The have some great prices and lots of M3 stuff.
    JR

02 M3 6MT. Mods = K&N63 (w/fiberglass heat shield & ECIS conical filter), Shark Injector (93/8.1K), Rasp Terminator, XM Radio, Tint, Borla, B&M SSK, TMS Pulleys, Eibach Pro Kit, CSL Replica Wheels (with 245/275 Toyo tires), Rotora Drilled & Slotted Rotors, Rotora 4-pot Caliper Kit

My Cars
    '02 ///M3 - '06 X5 - '03 S/C S2000
    Buy the cheapest intake; K&N, there really is no difference. My .02

CAR IS SOLD 2002 ///M3 w/ Stoptech Big Brake Kit - Active Autowerkes Exhaust - Ground Control Camber Plates - Ground Control Coil Overs - Ground Control Adjustable Control Arms - K&N Typhoon #63 CAI - 19' HRE's 545R's

My Cars
    Audi, BMW, Mercedes.
    Quote Originally Posted by aus
    Evosport did a shoot out. Not much difference between the K&N and AFE... except price.
    Evosport's shoot out was designed to show how a certain software did on each intake. I can say for certain that in our dyno runs the AFE always has out performed the other brand on plain stock cars. However the AFE is definately more expensive. The other brand is having stalling issues now which should be concidered also.

Having installed myself over 200 aFe's I will go with what has worked for us over and over again.

Jeff
    Eurobahn
    818-381-6335

My Cars
    E92 M3,335i, Odyssey
    Jeff, how much difference in power were you finding between the two? The AFE definitely looks like a quality peice.
    Also, how much more power can you guys get out of a car with and intake?
    SOLD: '96 Artic Silver M3/2 Lux Click here for pic's. 2003 X5 4.6is: Nav, loading floor, comfort seats
    2007 E90 335i: Titanium Silver/Black/Aluminum trim, Sport, Premium, Heated seats (for the wife), iPOD, MORR VS7
    2011 E92 M3: Space Grey/Black/Blue aluminum trim, Premium, iDrive, DCT

My Cars
    Audi, BMW, Mercedes.
    Quote Originally Posted by aus
    Jeff, how much difference in power were you finding between the two? The AFE definitely looks like a quality peice.
    Also, how much more power can you guys get out of a car with and intake?
    AS you know each car is different, however on average there was more then 10 HP more to be had with the aFe then the other unit. But that was with the heat shield cover in place. If you take the cover off then there is even more power there.

What can be gained with our software and the intake the numbers vary depending on year and what other mods are ont he car. The general rule of thumb is that we get 15-18Hp software alone these days and then add to that another 12-16Hp for the intake. To get real good numbers you need to test the car on a dyno that has a speed variable fan for accurate air movement.

Jeff
    Eurobahn
    (8181) 381-6335

My Cars
    2005 M3 IB ZCP
    Has anyone done a test on Turners version? That and the AFE are about the same price. Whats the best software to use I've seen a lot of hype for the Shark injector software. Also will any of this void a warranty?

My Cars
    Audi, BMW, Mercedes.
    Quote Originally Posted by amalo
    Has anyone done a test on Turners version? That and the AFE are about the same price. Whats the best software to use I've seen a lot of hype for the Shark injector software. Also will any of this void a warranty?
    The Shark injecotr is a fine product if you are looking to imporve thottle response and remove you top speed imiter. If you are looking for HP and Torque you will need a customized solution like our programing or another complete software solution.

Jeff
    Eurobahn
    (818) 381-6335

My Cars
    2005 M3 IB ZCP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff@eurobahn.us
    The Shark injecotr is a fine product if you are looking to imporve thottle response and remove you top speed imiter. If you are looking for HP and Torque you will need a customized solution like our programing or another complete software solution.

Jeff
    Eurobahn
    (818) 381-6335
    Jeff could you give me a price on the complete software and Air Intake package as well as some round about HP and torque gains I applologize if you have already posted this elsewhere. Also is this something I'd have to send my ECU out for, will it void the warrenty?

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3 SMG, 99 M3, 89 CRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff@eurobahn.us
    Having installed myself over 200 aFe's I will go with what has worked for us over and over again.
    Please tell me you own 200 cars. I can't believe that many people want a CAI installed, as easy as they are, and the AFE kit is great w/ instructions and tools

I guess some people don't like to get their hands dirty?!?

2004 CTS-V - yep I'm a traitor
    2002 M3 TiAg, SMG, Nav - Sold
    99 ///M3 Techno (For Sale)
    89 CRX (b18C engine swap)

"I'm desperately trying to figure out why kamikaze pilots wore helmets."
    -Dave Edison.