Thread: '99 328is shifting issues

My Cars
    '87 325ic, '89 325i, '99 328is

'99 328is shifting issues

Hello all, I'm new to the forum.

I'm an avid E30 fan, as I've owned 4 of them, and still have 2 of them. A week ago I decided I wanted something a little newer and purchased a '99 328is. It's a nice car, 90k miles, manual tranny, and best of all it's a coupe. Anyhow, as I'm used to driving the E30's with their M20's I noticed a big shifting difference between the cars. I've been searching and found articles about the CDV and it's been removed. It seemed to help "feel" a bit, but didn't help my RPM problem. The main problem is that when I disengage the clutch, the engine stays revved up for a second before dropping. This makes shifting really slow, and it's tough to be smooth. If I floor it, and rip my foot off the throttle the RPMS drop quickly, but that's the only time.
    I drove my friends 94 325is and his car drops rpm right away (like my E30's do). I was wondering if it might be an OBDII problem or maybe a vacuum leak or something?
    I'm learning about the E36 and want to know more!

Thanks in advance,
    Josh F.

My Cars
    97 E36M3 S54
    I believe the e36's with traction control do this. Also you should do the CDV delete (clutch delay valve!). It's a stupid inline valve that dampens how fast the clutch reacts. It's on the fluid like that runs to the clutch slave cylinder.
    Search it you'll find a bunch of info.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    either that or your clutch is going

My Cars
    2007 Honda Element EX
    I thought that this was caused due to the E36's heavy flywheel. Is this true? I don't see how traction control would play a part in this.