Thread: Umnitza Warning

My Cars
    04 330iZHP, 05 325iT

Thumbs down Umnitza Warning

I don’t like to disparage supporting vendors, but I felt that a member warning against Umnitza quality and business practices were in order.

I purchased Umnitza RaceMesh (http://www.umnitza.com/product_info....roducts_id=230) for my M3 because I believed that the product would be a quality substitute for cracked lower grills. I have purchased and been satisfied with Umnitza products in the past, and I attempted to resolve this issue with them via e-mail. What I found this time was:

-RaceMesh doesn’t replace stock grills, it covers the stock grills
    -Wire Ties are Umnitza’s engineering solution for mounting RaceMesh
    -Umnitza will not honor its policy of complete satisfaction (http://www.umnitza.com/shipping.php) for this product because they are “custom built”
    -Umnitza reserves the right to withhold this information until after you buy their product

I believe that Umnitza’s practices in this situation are wrong for two reasons:

-Poor engineering. Am I the only person out there that objects to using wire ties as a permanent mounting solution? When I complained about this practice, they replied “If not happy with the designed attachment method, devise a permanent method to your liking.” This is “plug and play”?

-Poor business practice. Umnitza’s website specifies their return policy, but it neglects to mention that “custom built” products were not covered, and it neglects to state that their RaceMesh product was “custom built”. I e-mailed them several times, pointing out these facts and attempting to return the product. They refused to do so.

Please consider this a friendly warning when purchasing Umnitza products. If they will engage in practices like this for a cheap grill, will they hesitate to do so with high-dollar products?

Anyone want to buy a never installed RaceMesh grill?
    Lars

My Cars
    M5, E61
    Quote Originally Posted by product page
    Title:
    Customizable mesh size

Custom Built to Order
    sorry you feel the way you do:
    Quote Originally Posted by policy on umnitza.com
    Customers assume all liability and risk when using high performance products. There is no warranty, expressed or implied for any parts used during competition, track, AutoX, and/or driving school events.

No warranty is offered on electrical parts, unless they are defective with 30 days of purchase. No warranty on custom parts. Please inquire if the electrical/custom parts you purchased may have a different warranty.

For Lifetime warranty products (Predator, Xenon, and other like labeled and expressed products) warranty is handled as follows:
    Our products come with a lifetime warranty, all of them.
    Custom products like the racemesh which are laser etched to spec aren't under that umbrella.
    Last edited by umnitza; 08-08-2005 at 10:28 PM.

My Cars
    00 MCoupe - 04 Lexus RX330 - 90 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by umnitza’s return policy
    In the unlikely event that you are not completely satisfied, and all options have been explored, you can return the product for refund.
    Apparently not.

While, yes, it is stated that ‘custom products’ are not covered, that tidbit of info is neatly tucked away in your Guarantee/Warranty section, and not expressly stated as such in your return policy, which, if I read this correctly, that’s the focus of this thread.

I mean, if a customer wants to return an item because they’re unsatisfied, what do you think they’re gonna read? The Guarantee/Warranty section?

And if the product is in such high demand, like your websites states, I’d think you’d me more than willing to take the uninstalled product back with little or no fuss.

All that being said, it just appears to be a rather adversarial relationship between customer and vendor, and that’s too bad.

My Cars
    04 330iZHP, 05 325iT
    Quote Originally Posted by ///MDex
    While, yes, it is stated that ‘custom products’ are not covered, that tidbit of info is neatly tucked away in your Guarantee/Warranty section, and not expressly stated as such in your return policy, which, if I read this correctly, that’s the focus of this thread.
    You certainly understand one of my two points, the second being the quality of the item. I never would have attempted to return the product if it used universally accepted fasteners.

I probably won't have started this thread if Umnitza had pointed out the refund exclusion of custom built items in his website when I asked via e-mail. But, as ///MDex confirmed, it is buried. I wouldn't think that an attorney should be required to identify terms of return from a supporting vendor. My experience from supporting vendors has always been good and I have come to think of them as a BMW advocate.

Quote Originally Posted by ///MDex
    it just appears to be a rather adversarial relationship between customer and vendor, and that’s too bad.
    Yes, I would rather not have an adversarial relationship with Umnitza. I remember when Umnitza was just plan Matt, selling stuff from Jim P. I would not hesitate to remove this thread if Umnitza clearly indicated how the product is mounted, and placed their product return exclusions clearly within their "Product Return" paragraph within their website.
    Lars

My Cars
    M5, E61
    Lars. You haven't answered any of our emails. Apparently you aren't that interested in a resolution.

We were never "just" - we always sold our own stuff. You have our information, you can always call to resolve a conflict. Running to a public forum just makes it more antagonist.

You back people into a corner and we'll defend ourselves. It's CLEAR. Our site isn't written in Legalese. It's written for the average Joe to get it. It's there. It's not hard to put two and two together.

In about 40-50 applications of this product on the E36, no one has ever complained about it. And in over 2 years of application, none have ever fallen off. Not on the track, not on autox, not anywhere.

Good day.