RM European Auto Parts

Thread: E60 Condensor Replacement - How involved?

My Cars
    2008 535i

Exclamation E60 Condensor Replacement - How involved?

Hi All -- first post!

I've owned my 535i for a few months now and have enjoyed the heck out of it, especially after dropping in a JB4 last week.

This morning I took a 2" piece of asphalt from a dump trailer at 80mph. Busted the passenger grille and punctured a hole in the AC condenser. It's bled out.

I did some searching and the closest I can find is a radiator replacement thread -- I'd like to take care of this myself, but not sure how involved it is. It looks like I should be able to remove a few shroud components and slide it out the top -- but wanted to ask here first.

Hopefully someone's been through this procedure, or there's a DIY I missed. If it involves draining the coolant or removing the front clip I'll probably find a competent local shop...

Thoughts?

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540iA
    You can post in the E60 forum and get more info there.

I dont have any personal knowledge on your model, but for the vast majority of cars, you'll have to drain the radiator, remove the engine cooling fan, shroud, radiator, and other coolers sandwiched between the radiator and condenser, and then finally the condenser. You might be able to remove the top of the radiator support as well.

Its one of those jobs that isnt too bad, just take pictures and document where bolts and small parts go and go slow and you'll be fine. Make sure to replace any o-rings or seals on the condenser fittings. Recharging the A/C can be a pain, so unless you want to do a ton of research, just take it to a shop and let them do it properly.

My Cars
    14 i3 Rex, 09 Frontier
    it's probably going to be a bitch...and you'll probably want to replace your drier now since its been exposed to air.

My Cars
    Avus e30(sold), '95 Avus
    Very easy replacement and I beleive the dryer comes with a new condensr as it is integrated into it.
    Level 1 Certified BMW Technician

My Cars
    2008 535i
    Thanks gents! I will repost on the E60 forum. From what it sounds like the procedure might have changed a bit between platforms ...

My Cars
    The E60 is very easy to replace the condenser on. Won't have to remove the fan, or even drain the radiator. But you'll still have to have someone vacuum down the system, and recharge it for you.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    The E60 is very easy to replace the condenser on. Won't have to remove the fan, or even drain the radiator. But you'll still have to have someone vacuum down the system, and recharge it for you.
    +1. Do not wait on the repair, either. An open a/c system puts moisture,rust and contaminants into the system.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    E46 328i
    Do you not have insurance? Your deductable would probably be less than the cost of a proper repair.