Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: E46 Seats in a E36

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    What's the question?

If you have pyrotechnic belt buckles, you will need to swap them over, unless the E46 ones plug in the existing harness. I don't know, I have never worked on E46 seats.

If you have mechanical tensioners, then nothing, as they are not part of the SRS.

If nothing, you can wire in a resistor to prevent the airbag light to come on.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    What's the question?

If you have pyrotechnic belt buckles, you will need to swap them over, unless the E46 ones plug in the existing harness. I don't know, I have never worked on E46 seats.

If you have mechanical tensioners, then nothing, as they are not part of the SRS.

If nothing, you can wire in a resistor to prevent the airbag light to come on.
    Where does the resistor need to be wired in?

My Cars
    1990 E30 316i 4 dr
    I have my hands on a set of e46m3 seats but is hesitating coz they r heavy (70kg each??)

Anyone knows the weight of these seats :e36 sports vs e36 m3 vaders vs e46m3 (electronic)

Also how about e39 sports (electonric) - weight? and will they fit nicely with out need to mod the railings?

Thanks

cLos is offline This that the other thing
    My Cars
    Elise<3
    Mine:
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=55

Quote Originally Posted by MarketMaster View Post
    Where does the resistor need to be wired in?

This.

@los_tho

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    Quote Originally Posted by cLos View Post
    Those are BEAUTIFUL. Did you get the SRS light?

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3
    Very nice thread. I would love to do a e46 seat swap. Get some manuals in there. I didn't know you could do that! I'm sure the manual seats are easier to install. ; )
    1999 BMW M3 Estoril Blue Coupe 5spd.
    GC 2 way adjust Coilovers.
    TMS adj trailing arms in rear.
    Racing Dynamics Front strut bar.
    Eibach Front swaybar
    UUC Lightweight Flywheel. UUC SSK.
    Depo Glass with HIDs

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328 Coupe
    Bringing it back again after years and years
    Bought a set of electric M3 e46 seats

all they have is this -

Which looks like 3 wires on the big plug and 2 wires on a small one - no idea are they heated or not, how to find out?
    this is a close up for the plugs

Dont have the interior plug, so what should i do, cut these and solder my plugs in ? or get e46 interior plugs? do they differ on the range of electric seats?
    By the way my car already has electric heated seats e36 328 (but there not even sport, thats the main reason for me to change them)
    Not really bothered about airbag, since i want a different steering wheel one day anyway
    Cheers!

My Cars
    2/91 Build NVM50
    How are the bolting points aligning?

My Cars
    1997 M3/4
    Hey guys. I just recently purchased a set of e46 m3 seat for my e36 sedan which i just purchased. I read some great info in this thread but im still a little confused and dont want to tackle this project until i am sure it can be done, even if it mean i need help. is there anyone here from the los angeles area that has done this project that can maybe chip in on the best way of doing the electric part of the install?

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    Quote Originally Posted by Neroslk View Post
    Bringing it back again after years and years
    Bought a set of electric M3 e46 seats

all they have is this -

Which looks like 3 wires on the big plug and 2 wires on a small one - no idea are they heated or not, how to find out?
    this is a close up for the plugs

Dont have the interior plug, so what should i do, cut these and solder my plugs in ? or get e46 interior plugs? do they differ on the range of electric seats?
    By the way my car already has electric heated seats e36 328 (but there not even sport, thats the main reason for me to change them)
    Not really bothered about airbag, since i want a different steering wheel one day anyway
    Cheers!
    Did you get yours installed?

My Cars
    1992 bmw coupe
    ive just got a pair of e46 m3 seats (electronic) and no way they are 70 kg each..30kg maby

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    So the seatbelts on the e36 seats can't be swaped over to the E46 seats base?

My Cars
    E36
    Nope. The holes don't match up, and some e36s have mechanical vs pyro pretensioners

My Cars
    Continuous change
    Bringing this back up cause I just got a set of black seats to swap out my dove.

My Cars
    E36
    back up for what? make the holes bigger and bolt 'em in!

My Cars
    german
    I have e46 m3 sports seats in my 93 325is. best seats i ever had! it works perfectly and sits lower than stock e36 seats. hugs your sides and just plain perfect in my opinion! wires are a plug and play. A little filing on the seat mounts. no biggie, just heavy.

My Cars
    supercharged 1999 318is
    been trying to find a set of csl seats to stick in mine! my fave seats ever and give the ability to tilt and get people in the rear still!

*******supercharged 318is*******

My Cars
    2001 325Ci Steel Grey
    Quote Originally Posted by Luketheduke View Post
    I have e46 m3 sports seats in my 93 325is. best seats i ever had! it works perfectly and sits lower than stock e36 seats. hugs your sides and just plain perfect in my opinion! wires are a plug and play. A little filing on the seat mounts. no biggie, just heavy.
    I was under the impression the seat wires were not plug and play.
    Schwarz 1998 328i Projekt Car.
    2001 325Ci "Grey Pride"

My Cars
    1992 BMW 320i Sedan
    I am swapping seats on my e36 sedan. Front was easy, manual seats with heating, just had to file the holes a bit and they went in. I don't have any harness for the heating on my frame, do you guys think I may grab the electrical part from donor e46 and fit it on mine somehow? Are the controls on the dashboard, or maybe on the steering wheel? What about the rest of the electrical parts?

Anyway, main concern for now are rear seats. I know someone made it but couldn't find any pics around the web. Package tray is different since seat belts come from inner part of it to outer part of the seats, instead of the opposite (from the sides of package tray to inner part of the seats).

You got any hints?

Thanks!

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Man juice love thread revival.

I got two E46 manual seats, ready to go in. Paid $200 for both. They went right on. I don't get where you have to file.

Airbag light issue fix: grab a 3.30 ohm resistor and put it n pins 1 and 4 on the connector (it is a yellow connector). Start up the car, the light will stay on for a minute, then turn off. The easiest fix is to pull the cluster out, yank the bulbs, and throw it into someone's drinking water supply.
    Harry // 1995 Avus Blue M3 - 2003 Titansilber 530i M-Sport - 2010 Black Sapphire Metallic 128i M-Sport // BMW CCA #453346 - North Capitol Chapter
    My previous work:
    My 325is M-Tech Restoration Thread
    My 98 M3 and 03 530i Restoration Thread

My Cars
    6/92 m50 non vanos coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryN View Post
    Man juice love thread revival.

I got two E46 manual seats, ready to go in. Paid $200 for both. They went right on. I don't get where you have to file.

Airbag light issue fix: grab a 3.30 ohm resistor and put it n pins 1 and 4 on the connector (it is a yellow connector). Start up the car, the light will stay on for a minute, then turn off. The easiest fix is to pull the cluster out, yank the bulbs, and throw it into someone's drinking water supply.
    Do you mean to say you did not have to modify the e46 manual seat rails to fit in your e36? just bolt in? more info much appreciated! by the way do they sit lower? are they more comfortable?

My Cars
    E36 316i
    Anybody Got a picture guide for the backseat from e46 in a e36 sedan:-)

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by Laleyenda View Post
    Anybody Got a picture guide for the backseat from e46 in a e36 sedan:-)
    As far as I know they don't fit. Only the fronts do

My Cars
    E36 316i
    I believe I have read somewhere that the brackets should just be moved a little..? Then it Will fit?

My Cars
    2002 M3
    Sorry to bump this ancient thread. Can anyone provide more detail regarding the wiring of the seatbelt pretensioner? Not looking to disable my airbag system. All the threads I've seen seem to say just file the brackets and throw the seats in.

FYI, I'm putting manual E46 M3 seats in an E36 M3 that currently has power/heated vaders if anyone has specific experience or suggestions

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast