Thread: How to value a rebuilt title...95 M3

My Cars
    a

Question How to value a rebuilt title...95 M3

In my search to buy a used E36 I came across this beauty on Autotrader:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...g=&cardist=163

The price is outstanding for that mileage and I'm assuming it has to be becasue of the rebuilt title. What specific questions should I ask and what parts of the vehicle should I be particularly careful to take a look at or ask the seller about to make sure this is 1) still a quality M3 and 2) will be pretty "standard" as far as maintenance costs go in the future.

Thanks in advance for your help!

My Cars
    95 M3 Arctic Silver...01 Tacoma 4x4
    $12500 is too much for a rebuilt title 95. I'd rather have one that had more mileage and no rebuilt title.
    SOLD

My Cars
    '95 Dakar M3
    If you buy a rebuilt title car and it gets totalled/stolen, don't expect to recieve more than 50% value from your insurance claim.

Don't do it!!!

I work at wheelworks and you wouldn't believe the number of these that come in with wierd problems. Remember, it's an M3 so in order to consider it a total loss, the damage has to be pretty major.
    Highend Landscape Lighting in Florida.
    Check us out!
    http://www.alulighting.com
    /

My Cars
    sold 1995 BMW M3
    you should get 80% of a normal M3. I know cuz i have a theft recovery. i was sellin my 95 with 87k on it for 10g's(few months back)...but mine was really clean....at least i think so and i did have some buyers but i decided to keep it in the family. U should be able to get that thing for 10,500.

here is mine,
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=349984

Ask where it was hit? Look to see if the tires have uneven wear? Pay 50 bucks and have a mechanic look at it. If u drive the car...does the steering wheel shake? Cars can be built correctly once thy have been hit...but it can also be bad, but he's had it for 4 years. thats better than somebody who fixes and turns right around and sells it.

My Cars
    Ferrari 360
    anything that does not have a clean title you should stay away from unless the person gives it to you for free.
    2000 Ferrari 360
    2004 Yamaha R1
    2007 Porsche 911 C2S Cabrio
    2017 VW Jetta (DD)

1995 M3 (SOLD HELP ME FIND IT TO REBUY)
    1998 740IL (Sold)
    2003 x5 4.6is (Sold)

My Cars
    95 m3, 08 m3, '87 325is
    i would steer clear of it. i got a 75k '95 m3 for 13,000 even and it had a clean title and many more performance mods on it than this one, if he even listed them. continue to look, the resale of this car after you sell it is going to suck.

My Cars
    97 M3 Sedan
    Ask him who did the work on the car. Was it a theft recovery or an impact total? I can vouch for Autometric here in Michigan. They are VERY expensive but can rebuild any car from any condition to factory standards. But, like I said, they are VERY expensive.

$12,500 is a fair price for a clean title 95. He would get less than $8,000 if he traded it in, IF he could find someone to take it, so if you can get it in the $10,000 range, that would be fair ASSUMING A PERFECT REBUILD. But, you will be married to this car, as you will not be able to get rid of it either except by dumping it.

Where are you located. I am in SE Michigan so I could, for gas money, give it a once over for you.

Bob Martin

My Cars
    Jesus Built my M3 (TYJ)
    I would only buy rebuilt / salvage if it's cheap....ie < $6k. And quite honestly, I don't think you could buy a decently rebuilt M3 for <$6k

That car is not cheap.

Case in point. Here in LA there is a 4dr 5spd blk 98 m3 that's been for sale for like 6 months on craigslist. Why? SALVAGE.....he's asking 12.9 or 13.9k i believe.

Too many problems and woe be unto the person trying to sell salvage for retail or anywhere near it. 70% of ppl wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole in general.
    1995 M3/2/5 : non-lux alpine white III on black
    2013 GX460 4x4 : knights pearl on black
    1997 Ram 3/4T 12v cummins turbo diesel : titanium silver on gray

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by cockerkiller68
    If you buy a rebuilt title car and it gets totalled/stolen, don't expect to recieve more than 50% value from your insurance claim.

Don't do it!!!

I work at wheelworks and you wouldn't believe the number of these that come in with wierd problems. Remember, it's an M3 so in order to consider it a total loss, the damage has to be pretty major.
    your so wrong about that i had a salvage titled water damaged 95 m3, and i totaled that car and got more than what i paid for it. i paid 11k back in 2001 it got totaled in 2004 they gave me 15k for it. and when i got it it didnt have much water damage, it just needed door panels
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    sold 1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3
    your so wrong about that i had a salvage titled water damaged 95 m3, and i totaled that car and got more than what i paid for it. i paid 11k back in 2001 it got totaled in 2004 they gave me 15k for it. and when i got it it didnt have much water damage, it just needed door panels
    my friend had bought a salvage s2k. bought it for 20g's out the door. totaled it. got back 23,500. cha ching. on a side note...the s2k was cherry as hell.

My Cars
    skateboard
    i'd get another salvage car only if i knew y it was salvaged. rember if your looking to make money on them by selling u wont make much, but if u are buying just to enjoy it than it do it.
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    E92 M3 Comp
    i have bad paper and i could care less, it was a light flood, and that was basically due to the blocked drain under the cowl frying the dme. i've dealt with these cars for 10yrs and never had a problem. just do the following and you'll be ok. 1)buy it at the right price, 2)if you arent a bodyman or dont know what to look for, take a competent one with you to look at it, the car could look like an easy fix but underneath could be extensive damage. as for the insurance, bs, least in pa. if they insure your car, you get what the book value is on it. i have just spoken to the dealer i buy all my wrecks from and he has been in this business for 20+ years. in pa if you put full coverage on the car, the have to pay you book value on the car if it is totaled again. the reason is because they do not prorate your premium because it is has bad paper, hence they must pay you book value on a clean title. call your agent if you dont believe me.