Thread: Reunited with an old friend...

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition

Reunited with an old friend...

Recently, I've been driving kinda calm and controlled... nothing as extreme as I used to drive. In fact, so calm, I noticed that my MPG has gone up from a avereage 19.5 mpg to 23mpg. Driving calm and controlled... while boring tends to save the car some... and since the tires have been reduced to dry weather only tires ... I'm better off safe than sorry.

Well tonight... I had to break the calm driving cycle. I absolutely had to be somewhere in as soon as possible... which would require some knife edge driving. Now it has rained all day and the roads are slightly damp... I'm going to need to be on the top of my game for this drive. I leave and I'm moving... giving myself plenty of room and taking everything in stride... but pushing hard.

As I started to take my first really serious corner, the back of the car started drifting... and for a split second I thought to myself, "welcome back old friend". While the calm driving is better and a little more cost effective, it really turns the car into just that... a car, or simply a tool to get from point a to point b. Driving calm, removes the whole "M" aura that envelopes the car. As I returned to my former driving self, pushing to the limit... the car reminded me... that it is indeed M.

As the car started to drift, time started to slow down and the drift seemed to last forever as if I was being reunited with an old friend that I haven't seen in years. The car started talking to me through the seats and the steering wheel telling me everything it was going to do... every groove in the road, every distinct gradiant change, everything peeble. I in turn started talking back to the car through distinct actions modulating the steering wheel and gas pedal to achieve perfection. After all, a good driver and a good car can achieve a unity that provide for the perfect arsenal to attack any corner or circumstance.

The car continued to drift through the corner which seemed like forever. The car and I talked to maintain the desired line before straightening up and rocketing off into the distance. As I completed the corner I felt a sense of warm fuzziness come over me thinking that I just pulled off the first of many drifts for the night and what a wonderful time I would have driving the M.

Routine everyday driving doesn't give you opportunity to appreciate what the M in M3 stands for. Only when you start to push it does the M really mean something and you start to feel at one with the car under the circumstances. Needless to say, I didn't arrive at my destination on time, but I was pretty close and the best part about it, I had an excellent time doing it knowing that the car wouldn't suprise me with any craziness or insanity. I felt whole again pushing my car...

If this is what M means ... then I'd like to personally thank the people who put this car together for making a wonderful driving machine. Something that makes driving more than routine and mundane, but instead making it something to look forward to and want to do over and over again...
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    VW GTI mkV 5-door
    Well said Kev!! I think all BMW's are infused with that, and the M's even more so. It takes a very special car indeed to evoke feelings like that.

My Cars
    just an old 328
    Dont need to have a lil M to see that old friend Kev..
    06' BMW 530xi
    02' Porsche 911 Carrera
    11' BMW X3

My Cars
    04 Jet Black E46 ///M3
    True.....all BMWs are basically the Ultimate Driving Machines

Sometimes I drive slow, going to work, school....it be so boring. I have to be pushing it at least once in a while.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Originally posted by Stylin
    Yeah, True... but the story sounded better that way
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    1998 M3/2
    So I guess the car isn't for sale anymore?

-Bobby

Originally posted by Bobby ///M3
    So I guess the car isn't for sale anymore?

-Bobby

HaHaHa!!! Probably not!!

Great story Kev. On my days off when I can really DRIVE my car,
    the great feeling I get from driving it and the sense of pleasure
    from knowing that I'm not driving a Crown Victoria or run-of-the-mill Honda or something is awesome!!! Some would say that it
    is arrogance, but it is just the feeling that for me it is the "right"
    car and I get a big old grin on my face every time!! That's a good thing isn't it?
    Damn...I miss my car.
    ('98 Hamann/BMW 328i)

My Cars
    Great story, Kev! Well written!

My Cars
    e46 M3 Carbon Black
    wwwwheeeeeee

Sounds like somebody's having fun.

The more I read, the more I was expect, and then it got away from me and I wrapped it around a light pole.

I made about 100 trips back and forth to Home Depot today, cussing under my breath that I should never have traded my trusty Ford truck in because I could have made only one trip in that. Then...a fast, twisty section of road presented itself and I ripped around the turns going much too fast, chirping the tires as they fought for traction. I could barely wipe the grin off my face!!!

Screw the truck !!!
    Damn...I miss my car.
    ('98 Hamann/BMW 328i)

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Yeah... i came home after an awe inspiring drive... I had to type that up.

My Cars
    It's fun re-discovering your car when you haven't had a chance to really DRIVE it the way it's meant to be driven in a while.... :

My Cars
    96 M3

great story Kev!

I think we all know exactly what you mean...

I will never forget the nite I got it and driving home and feeling so amazed how different if "felt" than all the other cars I ever had...

the ultimate driving machine..heh:

My Cars
    2000 BMW 740iL

Cool

Glad you got back to actually "driving" Kev... we all know these cars are a pure joy to drive, but especially when you open it up.
    ACS Front Spoiler | Bavarian Autosport Strut Bar | Bilstein HD Struts | Dinan Cold Air Intake | Dinan Stage II Software
    Eisenmann High Performance Exhaust | H&R Stage II Sport Springs | Mobile Video & Bass Upgrades.

My Cars
    It only takes about 1-2 miles everytime I get in my car for that smile/smirk to take over my face.... :