Thread: system running lean, anyone else experience?

My Cars
    93 RX7 TT

system running lean, anyone else experience?

my car has been throwing a "system lean bank 1" code on and off for the past 3-4 weeks.
    my bmw dealership said the most likely culprit is the MAF, they want $530 to replace it ($430 for the part, $90 for labor etc).
    they said if that doesnt fix it, the next step would be resealing the intake manifold which would be a high labor charge.

i can get the maf for $280 online and have an independent bmw mechanic who will do the work for much less, but i just want to see if anyone else has had this issue and if the MAF fixed it.
    the only thing that sucks is im pretty sure the bmw dealer will charge me a $90 fee for the diagnosis even if i dont have them fix it.

i think im gonna have them clear the codes tomorrow, and try cleaning the maf, and see if throws the code again, if it does, then have the independant mechanic replace it.
    95 TransAm Red
    forged 383ci stroker
    500hp naturally aspirated

daily driver
    2000 BMW 740IL Black

My Cars
    '99 740is
    THe MAF could not possibly be any easier to replace. If you can take it out to clean it you can defintiely replace it yourself. The codes should tell you wheter or not the MAF is bad or not. The dealer might just be setting you up for additional repairs. You paid for it, ask them exactly what codes the diagnostic pulled. Post them here and someone can look them up for you.
    Fingers crossed

My Cars
    93 RX7 TT
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfstu
    THe MAF could not possibly be any easier to replace. If you can take it out to clean it you can defintiely replace it yourself. The codes should tell you wheter or not the MAF is bad or not. The dealer might just be setting you up for additional repairs. You paid for it, ask them exactly what codes the diagnostic pulled. Post them here and someone can look them up for you.

i actually pulled the code myself at autozone, i dont remember the number, but it said "system lean bank 1".

i know the maf is very easy to replace, but i dont have access to the computer software to clear the codes afterwards, thats the only reason id bring it to a mechanic.

tomorrow im gonna clean it and see if it throws a code again. right now its clear.
    95 TransAm Red
    forged 383ci stroker

daily driver
    2000 BMW 740IL Black

My Cars
    93 RX7 TT
    cleaning the MAF did not fix the prob.

replaced the MAF with a new bosch unit from bimmerparts.com and all is fixed.
    took 2 days of driving for the computer to relearn/recalibrate and then the engine light turned off and has been running perfect for a week.
    95 TransAm Red
    forged 383ci stroker

daily driver
    2000 BMW 740IL Black

My Cars
    '99 740is
    Thats great to hear!!
    Fingers crossed

My Cars
    E71 X6 4.4L "BatMobile"

what causes the MAF to fail

i ask because i am very very close to the end of my CPO, and just wondering what problems i should look for before its gone...

that and i may take a baseball bat to some of the parts just so i can get new ones

My Cars
    '99 740is
    Go down the list at the top of the forum "thinking of a used E38? HEres wht to look for" Scrutinize everything on that list.
    Fingers crossed